Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gettin tanked and havin the belly to prove it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Apr 26, 2006.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Even though we've had other threads on Belly Tankers in the past, it's never a bad idea to have some project updates and vintage pictures added to this thread right here.

I also need some websites on these if there are any. I'm trying to research an old one right now and don't really know where to start. Any help is appreciated and all findings will be cheerfully shared.

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

This...narrow chassis, short wheelbase, driver forward position, pushbar, early flathead engine (not pictured obviously)....

Attached Files:

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It's possible. I don't see any kind of mounting points but they could have been ground off if it saw later duty as a dragster. The frame seems kinda low to be inside a tank, althought that low pushbar could indicate that it was trying to clear the tank.

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Got the frame here today and the engine too. All of the tank mounting points and quick release fasteners are still in place. It's pretty cool. I'm going to try to put the motor back in it on Sunday.

5. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Scob, you have the neatest shit!!!!

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm curious to how many of these ever actually got made. Anybody got any ideas? I'm convinced that this one really ran somewhere. It's complete other than the tank skin and someone put a ton of work into it. I keep finding tanks but all of them seem to be on the west coast. I'd like to find one in the midwest!

8. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Scoob
    You seem to buy and sell alot of your projects but I realy hope you build this one.

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, I turn and burn a lot of them to help pay for the very little bit that I actually keep and do something with. Honestly, I planned to turn this one too but it's so complete and so cool that I don't know if I can. I'm positive I'd never find another one. It really just needs a tank and some restoration. It's in good shape and otherwise complete. I don't know what the hell you do with something like this in Indiana other than sit in it and make racing noises like I have been. But just for the sake of it's history, I'm making sure it goes back together. I get a funny feeling just being in the same garage with it. It's got some kind of story that I'd love to know. I've been over the whole thing though and there are no identifying markings of any kind. Shame.

10. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

If you do not build it remember me I am just a PM away.

12. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

2nd dibs behind royalshifter. Saw several when I've been to the salt. All of them looked like the same ones you've seen in mag's since the 50's. Many campaigned by the same guys since the 50's. Still a dream of mine to make one out of a B52H external tank. The B models are too long, maybe/maybe not? Ecotech powered? or straight 6 from a trailblazer? Never have been able to find one spot for info that had dimensions etc for all of them. Since all of the aircraft mfr's (for most part) were left coast, and majority of mil surplus was west, that's why you don't find 'em in Indy. Lot of warbird type surplus still out there. Chino, Tucson, VanNuys, others good for it to this day.
    Have fun. If you build it, I wanta play. If you're nuts, put one of your turboniques on it.

13. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Where do you find all this stuff man?

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've stopped believing that anything is rare. If you want it, it's out there somewhere. This is still a pretty small board relatively speaking and I still see a new survivor post about once a week. Anything that isn't still "out there" is just temporarily stored in some guys collection until he gets hard up for cash or dies. There are so many kustoms, old drag cars, dragsters, and obscure parts still out there it's amazing. That's the only thing that allows me to sell something and go look for something new. Just like relationships, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one.

I'm picking up a running flathead this afternoon and I'm going to transfer the speed parts over to it and get it in the tanker. I'd like to see this thing running before the shows hit. It's one thing to look at it. I want to hear it and drive it. I appreciate all the links. I'd still like to see some close up shots of anyones motor mounts and front suspension setups to see if there is anything better than what I have?

Inkorekt came over last night and we were checking this thing out. The really scary part is that most of the driver sits below the scrub line. Feet, ass, everything. A blown tire would be a bad thing at speed I'd think. I barely fit in the thing and my balls aren't nearly as big as the guys who raced these things back in the day. I have no idea where they put their balls when they raced it.

15. Johnny Sparkle

Johnny Sparkle

I think you may be a bit too big for the car. Your head stuck out past the top of the roll bar, didn't it? I don't know if I would be brave enough to drive that thing at speed. You think it had a seatbelt?

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Hey if my ass and balls are going to get ground off at speed you can be damned sure I want my head ground off too. I think I'd take the roll bar out altogether. I read a Reader's Digest story one time about some poor bastard that was in a skiiing accident. He hit a tree, spread eagle, at around 60MPH. It raised his endseam by over five inches by ripping him open half a foot further up his crotch. Some genius decided to save this guy instead of mercifully putting a bullet in him on the ski slope. He spent the next seven years having major surgeries. I'm not sure I'd want to live through a testicular injury of that magnitude. I'll drive the car though. Just not for land speed records on a 56 year old chassis.

17. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I think its super cool. Dont let those guys tempt you into selling it.

I see your point about the ball thing though its kind of nice haveing them things hanging around.

Didnt some of those things have the driver laying down head first. I dont think I would like that at all.

18. cr

cr
    from scottsdale

Check out Hot Rod (early 50s) I remember seeing a photo of a belly tanker where you could see a butter fly steering wheel that looks like the one on your chassis.

CR

19. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Scoob,

I'll do a little research... I have hundreds of tank photo's.

20. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

It's funny because that wheel is made from solid metal and then drilled to reduce the weight. It's still heavy. I think you could easily shave about 100 pounds from drilling this chassis if you wanted to burn through about $1000 worth of drill bits to do it. I'm hoping to have it running this week. THe flathead already runs but I'm not sure what all the tranny and rearend are going to need.

THEM! Thanks for the help. I was noticing your avatar too. Am I guessing you have more than just photos of these things?

21. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

February 1955 Hot Rod has a good article about a tank build up. If I had a scanner I'd post it up.

22. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

i would definately check out the so-cal speed shop stuff, they are pretty famous for their belly tanker:cool:

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Scoob, Bobby is the one I told you to send a pm to. Search his post history and you'll find a wealth of info.

That's exciting. Can we see it next monday?

24. great find scoob. Keep us posted. Derek Mitchell here on the board wants to build one...your stuff would be a great inspiration.

25. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yeah, I'm kind of jazzed. I got the running flattie today and am looking for new tires right now. I also think I've found the widow of the last owner so I might be able to trace some history on it and maybe even get some old pictures.

Chad, it will be here Monday. See ya then man.

26. cobiray

cobiray
    from York, PA

that is a great title, uncle

27. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I thought about it long and hard. It's headed to the classifieds. I did what needed to be done...rescued it, got the running flattie and found a tank body. I've traced it's history back to 1971 and still working on more.

I mostly just wanted to know what it was and see it saved. I have something I consider to be even more holy on deck right now. It's awful.

28. Ruiner

Ruiner

and what, pray tell, could be better than a belly tank racer?...inquiring minds want to know!!!

29. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

part of it...

Attached Files:

30. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Once again very cool stuff!!!