Register now to get rid of these ads!

There are still old Customs out there hiding!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by restorit, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Your guess is as good as mine about what this was supposed to be but it started out as a 55 Studebaker. Now comes the interesting part. Look closely at the pictures of the engine compartment. The inner fenders were made out of 34 Ford fenders! The headlights are 34 Plymouth. It looks to me like the frame is also 34 Ford but has modified a lot. It is still setup for the 34 suspension although it is not there. Dash is custom made and has SW gauges - even the Vacuum Gauge. Frame is setup for a 55-57 Chevy SB and auto trans. The glass looks to be stock 55 Stude. Lots of bondo on this body! The hood opens forward. The car had been sitting less than 20 miles from me for a long time. I sat it in today and it is fine as long as there is no seat - I am almost 6'3". For those of you wondering, yes, it is in my driveway - no plans. Take a look!
    Tom - restorit

Attached Files:

2. now that is a wild looking car....

3. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

From the side it kinda reminds me of an early TVR "Griffith".
    VERY cool old Sports Custom...

5. flynstone

flynstone

cool.................

6. Side profile reminds me of the 63-67 Vette coupes - but shrunken to about half-size. A poor man's sports car?

7. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Bitchin.........

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

The '34 fenders are a good design element.

9. Weird. The doors and b-pillars are Stude? I flashed on the TVR Griffith when I saw the profile.

10. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Have to agree about the rear looking like a Griffin

11. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Neat! - Reminds me of some of the competition bodied Austin Healy Frogeyes, too. There's a bit of Speedwell Sprite about it.

12. How about somebody doing a photochop?

Attached Files:

13. Tom-
    that is probably the result of all those articles in Popular Mechanics and other mags back in the day -you know,about buildin your own sports cars/roadsters....
    they outlined a donor car and the use of varying peripheral parts to accomplish their goal....
    It is probably unibody construction-right?
    VERY COOL and some one should tackle redoining this one!!

14. I'll agree it looks like an old vette to me too. It's a cool little car!

15. Flatman

Flatman

Any guesses on the builder/history of the car? Might be worth a few restored...

Flatman

16. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

Interesting for sure. Someone already stole my idea, but it looks alot like it was influenced by some sort of british sports car.

17. No idea on the builder or when but I am thinking late 60's, early 70's. Looks like it might have been running and driving at one time because there were exhaust pipes/mufflers in it and a short driveshaft - about 30" or so. It has headlights but no taillights. It will probably end up in the HAMB Classifieds sooner or later!
    Tom

18. epinut

epinut

Cool, a little Austin Healy inspired maybe...
    Edit: Should have read the thread properly, Rot'n Kustom already pointed this out. Sorry!

Attached Files:

19. seldom scene

seldom scene

I'm glad I don't think I've seen everything when something like that shows up. I'm happy it's in your driveway!

20. 49 Fleetline

49 Fleetline
    from NorCal

my neighbor's got a 55 stude, wow what a difference u can make with just little imagination, that frankenstude looks like it's worth some love:cool:

21. Playing around while I watch the Busch Race.
    Had to get rid of the headlights. Top set up might lend itself to a El Camino style pickup.

Attached Files:

22. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay Cool! From the fire wall back , as others have said, it does look like it was inspired by a TVR. Nice catch.

23. richydab

richydab
    from UK

I'm with those who think it looks like a TVR - mind you, it was probably better made than a TVR!

24. Cut away front fenders are reminiscent of the Ferrari Mexicos.

The headlights are unattractive and the grill will need a better treatment but it does grow on you. You say lots of plastic filler?

25. Hmmm.....Guess I need to start looking for a 221-260 SBF & a set of wire wheels.

Attached Files:

26. Rusty

Rusty

Cool headlights

27. CruZer

CruZer

That's exactly what I thought.
    Too bad it can't talk,I'll bet it would have some good stories.

28. Well hell Tom I like it. it looks like a cross between a Karmen Ghia and a Bugg Eyed Sprite.

Throw a tape on it and give us a general idea for wheel base.

OH you can still by a new windshield for it around 250 installed. But i don't have a clue where in the world you'll ever find a back light for the old hooptie.

29. raven

raven

I like it, but the headlights and grille need changing.
    What to sell the motor mount?
    r

30. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

different for sure