Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ralph Malph's RPU For Sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Jan 10, 2018.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

I never realized it actually was aired with the funky headers/scoop configuration, damn! What the hell was Malph thinkin'? I'll bet he was secretly groovin' to jazz music on the sly too....:eek:

:D

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always love the disdain for the money end of this shit. No,not flaming anybody's opinion, but it's like a pimple on prom night, no? I'll ask, what if it was yours? What would you want to get for it?

brad2v, GZ, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  3. zzford

zzford

Huh....I would have guessed closer to $1500 given the build quality.

Gman0046 likes this.
  4. i don't really know it's value , i don't know about it's construction , and yes those headers are cheesy....but when i saw it on TV it got my heart racing

i guess it did what they wanted it to do

5. NWRacing

NWRacing

It's like everything else, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
    I'm sure non car folks look at what we'll pay for rusty old car parts and think we're crazy but they are worth it...to us.

John Starr and F&J like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Not to flame, but some of you need to know that there are simply many people on our globe that have totally unlimited funds.... and those that do....purchase what they like!

as far as the continual cracks about George? Name a few "most influential to our hobby" people in the past. George is, and always will be on the top of that list... He WAS a true hard core and very gifted "promoter" just as Mickey Thompson was! Oh, there are certainly more, but just trying to get a point across.

My son is friends with a local fellow who just dropped $850K on the new "little, day fishing boat"...He wanted triple outboards, to go a little faster, than the $330K new twin one he bought a couple of years ago..."Day trip boat" name, as the other bigger "boat" ... A big Bertram, that was $4.5M w/3000HP of Marine Cat TD's that use 180 GPH at full tilt... Just sayin'.. oh, and on a tournament, each of the big guys that are on the boat, they put $1500 on the table for not only the biggest fish , but for biggest of EACH species caught on a 40 hour timed event!

...so, you might understand that these guys probably don't care if anybody understands their lives, or not. LOL.

I am broke as I have ever been, but I can see a very awesome old build in that car, from day one back then, just like many posters here have said.. even if I cannot afford something, I certainly can "like the heck out of" whatever it is that I see..

drdave, brad2v, SEAAIRE354 and 2 others like this.
  7. Nobey

Nobey

I think the H.A.M.B. should buy it, trade it for that red roadster pickup in England, then
    give that one back to Dean. My 2 cents....

8. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

People need to remember that those that go to these events can spend $1000 bills like $1's and are more into investments that can bring in more money at a later date

9. jchav62

jchav62

Cool hot rod. I used to get excited to see it when the show was on...

So it was used in Happy Days in the 70s, but it was featured on Green Acres in '65??
    Wonder when the car was actually built?

drdave likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

On another thread, they said it was an original hot rod from the late 40`s to early 50`s. Maybe that explains the Auburn Dash insert.

Moriarity likes this.
  11. Always liked this thing, awful headers and scoop included.
    It didn't appear a lot in the show, but I'd like to see it kept how it was.
    Don't care about what the new owner pays for it, that's none of our business.
    I never liked the goofy stuff on it, but that's how it was in the show, that's how it should stay.

BigDogSS, brad2v and tb33anda3rd like this.
  12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

As some have said already, (minus the fake headers and the scoop) It is definitely a neat old Hot Rod that may have been built in someone's garage, sold and ended up being used in the TV show.

RICH B and brad2v like this.
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's a TV/ movie studio car, so I wouldn't expect it to be much. Those vehicles are dressed up to look good through a camera lens, not up close. More often than not, the studio shop is on a tight budget and timeline, so stuff gets thrown together. Look at the "Milner" coupe, it was supposed to be sectioned, at the last minute after the grille shell had been cut, they had to use it as it was. This was a nice roadster pickup before they added the fenders, headers, and scoop. After bouncing around the TV/Movie sets, it's a wonder it still looks as good as it does.

14. perceived value........if you think practically your money would be better spent on a two year old Honda........but this car has a long history behind it. first as an old car, then a hot rod, then used in a successful, well liked and quality family tv show. some stars/famous people had some seat time and then there are the signatures...............$175k for a commuter vehicle, ridiculous, but for a collector piece, maybe.
    think of it this way, in 15 years it will be estimated at auction at $250k.

brad2v and stanlow69 like this.
  15. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Millions of people have seen this Hot Rod on TV. There should be at least two people who really want it and can afford it.

drdave and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wouldn’t really want to pay the projected estimate, not anywhere near that.

That being said, this is a Hot Rod that was part of our youth. It’s been a Hot Rod for quite a long time 53 yrs confirmed from that Green Acres pic and 9 yrs after that on a show that rode the nostalgia wave of the 50’s in the 70’s in Happy Days as it appeared in the 1st Series episode at “Arthur’s Drive-In” Burbank/Alameda (long ago dozed).

After that episode the Drive-In was referred to as “Arnold’s”.

It really is amazing that many of these cars exist as they appeared on screen even though they’re not exactly everyone’s taste.

I seem to remember Jay “Mr. Roadster” Ohberg owning this car as part of his fleet of movie cars that he supplied to the studios as he and Barris at one time were right next door to each other.
    Good luck on the sale.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Nobey, brad2v, HEMI32 and 1 other person like this.
  17. spanners

spanners

At the moment where I live they are replaying Happy Days. Get to see that car in the opening credits.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The auction company is doing their job. It's in the best interest of the consignor and the company to get the highest possible price. If the car levels off at something like $100k then that's what it's worth, that day, that sale. It may not be as significant as others but hot rods have hit big numbers, like this one last Oct...
    IMG_20171005_220054130_HDR.jpg
    Is this rpu in the same league? No, but it's better known than the Roadster above by the general public. TV? Hey, the General Lee made the #1 spot in that HRM "Top 100" gig. I hope it sells high because then all of us benefit in a minor way. More interested parties when our day comes. This is not a bad thing, embrace it.

drdave, 47ragtop, Nobey and 3 others like this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I think Pete would dig knowing something that he hasn’t owned in nearly 70 yrs reached that kind of dough.
    I haven’t seen him in a while, but if I do that lol inquire about it. He lives a few blocks away.

20. I like it. Scoop, headers and all... It looks like a real deal hot rod built by a kid in his parent's garage in the 50s to me. But I like goofy shit much more than the watered- down formula stuff of today.

NWRacing, F&J, Malcolm and 6 others like this.
  21. that is how i feel also.

F&J, cactus1 and stanlow69 like this.
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It bid to 80 grand no sale, did not meet reserve. too funny that the auctioneer called it Potsie's car

F&J likes this.
  23. I was watching that, 80k is still a good price, guess they were banking too much on the Happy Days connection.

Stovebolt and Nobey like this.
  24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was strong dough for that truck. I didn't believe the estimate from the beginning but there's always a chance. If the TV history were removed what's it worth? Clearly something in the low 20s would be about max. Adding 10% to the bid someone was willing to stick close to $100k in it with tax and transport on top of that. So is TV time worth $60k? More?

Max Gearhead likes this.
  25. Never2low

Never2low

Look how much any connection to Steve McQueen adds to auction prices.
    It's usually at least 2 to 3 times what it would bring, without.

26. F&J

F&J

Highlander! >>Tell that on here WAY more often! This is SO true what you wrote!

Recall the "investors"?? back when BBC 66-67 Vettes were the very hot deal? These guys would buy one at one auction, send/ship it to the next auction , never even really "own" it in their garage!, and then saw a 20% return as those 427 tripowers just kept going and going...then BAM! Done!!, at that point so many idiots sat there saying "where'd my money go!" LOL

I first heard the following term many decades ago..from what I thought? was the first guy who did the first big auction out in the desert? He said "no one knows to true value of any car, until the money changes hands" (meaning resell tomorrow at the SAME auction event, and it crashes)!! LOL!

But... I DO recall some heavy hitter back then, got caught BAD when the AC 427 Cobras tanked... he paid $400k, the market crashed overnight, he then held out a year? or less I think? then he bailed out at $200, because: " I am an investor, I used the 200 to keep rolling elsewhere"! .....He rocks! he showed he has "Big stones", I love that!!

I recently bought a unusually bodied Model A , and a couple local know-it-alls are trying to hint that I paid way too much as with stupid words like "oh, so and so, just paid $----- for an 2 dr sedan Model A" WTH?? good grief! I did NOT buy it because I wanted an investment, nor even thought about being forced to resell if I needed quick cash!

The mindsets out there are....um ...er...interesting... and I sure do LOVE to F with peoples heads, like my varying answers I give to locals about MY Model A!! LMFAO..

27. Mike

Mike

Yup, much of the time it's all an illusion. A friend of mine used to be in the business of providing vintage vehicles for TV and the movies. Sometimes they came from a stock of machines that he owned, sometimes he went out and found what they needed. He told me about one shoot where they needed an early '60s black and white police car, he had a white '60 Galaxy 4 door and he covered the front fenders, hood, rear quarters and decklid with black duct tape. On camera, it looked great.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  28. As a whole I think prices on pre-war cars has taken a dump over the last 4-5 years and with that market base getting older & older, I don't see it bouncing 100% back. Glad to have 70's & 80's money in most of my stuff.

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really believe that as of late there's less monkey business on the sale floor. We can thank the cameras and TV for that. Some? You'd have to be incredibly naive to think not, but overall they've become a pretty decent barometer of what's hot, and especially how things cycle. 30s cars dead? Kool, I want a Deuce 5W for 6K. Just sayin...