Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Mercury Heater Motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mars54, Jan 10, 2018.

1. mars54

mars54

I need a heater motor for my 54 Monterrey. Car is now 12V, previous owner removed heater motor so I'm looking for alternatives to the original that will fit. Car is in the shop currently so I don't have access to the housing to see how it mounts. If anyone has any suggestions please pass them on. I see that Ford had 12V heater motors for the F100 but I wasn't sure if that or any of the universal motors would mount up with the remaining assembly.
    Thanks
    Mario

2. I don't know of any part number or application I can give you but I know this. To date on all the 12 volt conversions I've done I have always been able to stand at the parts counter and find by photos in the parts book what I need and come home with a replacement motor that will do the job, and they are Cheep. Just takes a few minutes with a parts gut willing to help ya.
    The Wizzard

3. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Take a look at '56 heater motor. They are 12v and if memory serves, fit into a blower hsg that appears identical to 52-55 heater hsg, again at least in Fords.
    Good luck
    Farmalldan

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

5. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

Cannot say 100% certain for your Merc but I feel 99% good about using the Ford heater motor. I know that a '55 Thunderbird (6V) and a '56 Thunderbird (12V) will change out with no problem at all mechanically. I installed a motor from a 56 in my 55 when I converted to 12V. It fit with zero problems. When I have changed motors on ither cars I have found that the motors are pretty much the same. The only differences I have encountered are the heater box mount plates that the motor bolts onto. I just changed the motors on the plates and then went back together. At most you might have to adapt / change the electrical plug / connection.

6. mars54

mars54

Thanks every for the good information.

7. sobpunx

sobpunx

I used a heater motor out of a mid 60's f-100 in my 54 ford. Got it from a junk yard and it bolted right in.

8. mars54

mars54

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Check Surplus City in Nebraska, they have new ones cheap, I have been very happy with everything from there.

10. mars54

mars54

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Lived in Manteca in the late 70's left Sacramento when the East Area Rapist was his busiest, moved to Lodi in '81.

12. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I lived in Ceres , had my shop on Mchenry in Modesto til 92