Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What are you using for rubber floor covering?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Jan 9, 2018.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Don't want to put carpet in my Stude. Rather go with 1/8" thick rubber or vinyl rolled matting, which is available up to 6 feet wide x any length needed. Some of what I have seen is pretty pricey.

One big concern I have is getting the stuff to lay out fairly well over the trans hump and firewall, but I know it won't look as good as glued down carpet. I hear that the rubber lays out a little better than the vinyl??

Just wondering what some of you have tried, how it worked out for you, and any installation tips Product name and source would be appreciated.
    Thanks for the help.

tractorguy likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are looking for the same "holy grail" that many of us have been looking for many years for.
    Subscribed

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Sheet goods heat & glue?

4. wutnxt

wutnxt

I found an old truck bed mat in the ditch just down the road from my place.Flat floor in my truck... works just fine.

subneil56 and czuch like this.
  5. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

7. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

tractorguy and Poh like this.
  8. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Rubber horse stall mate from Tractor supply. Comes in varies thickness.

tractorguy and patmanta like this.
  9. I would like to find a source for vinyl/rubber like the cheap cars in the 50's 60's had. I would think with a little thought and some heat it could be shaped to fit a floor pan.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0645.JPG

Tractor Supply or other farm and ranch stores have different types of material that will work. I used some material that goes down in animal stalls or is used as padded flooring under work benches and the like. It worked great for me but it may be to thick for your application. They do however have different materials in different amounts of thickness.

Here's a pic of how it came out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    chop job and spurgeonforge like this.
  11. I still use ribbed rubber mat, just like I did in high school. I used to buy it from JC Whittney ( maybe they still sell it) last I bought was from Hanna Rubber in KCMO they have a web page and ship world wide.

MATTING_WORDS.jpg

Let me see if I can find a real pic, if you call and explain what you want they'll have someone who has some idea what you are talking about.

txcr13 likes this.
  12. Gray Ford

Gray Ford
    from Illinois

13. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful.

Based on some of the references you gents provided, I did a few searches for matting suppliers. The most helpful words I entered in the search were "rolled rubber matting".

There are many sites, but I found that these two had a very good variety of matting:
    www.floormatcompany.com
    www.restorationspecialties.com

Widths were mostly 36" and 48" but another site had some 78" wide material. Thickness options were mostly 3mm, 1/8", or 1/4". Surface designs included fine rib, pebble grain, wider rib, smooth, etc.

I am putting the matting on a floor which has a medium size transmission hump, with a toe
    board/firewall that has a fairly small hump in it, and clutch and brake pedals through the floor. What is more important to me for this application is that the matting conform to the shapes, and have a surface texture that looks right for the car. Not real concerned about longevity, insulation properties, or resistance to anything other than water and dirt. For those reasons, I chose a 1/8" thick rubber mat that has what most would call a "pebble" texture.

There were also some options for vinyl mats, but not as many as rubber. I believe the vinyl generally has better resistance to more aggressive liquids, but their flexibility is generally not as good as an equivalent rubber mat. On the plus side, the vinyl is less expensive, and it comes in a fair amount of colors.

It will be a little while before I get around to installing it, but I will try to get back to his thread with how it turns out. Thanks again to all the posters.

Just Gary likes this.
  14. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Semi-truck mud flaps found on the side of major highways.

15. I use anti-fatigue mat. Like what some barbers stand on. Not sure what it's made of but it lays pretty good. I bought what I have at a military surplus/industrial supply store. It comes on all sorts of patterns. It's a good sound deadener also.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.