Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A with buick fins measurements

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by george.barnes.754, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Would sone one running an A front axle with buick drums on it mind measuring from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface for me please? Since a banjo rear isn't gonna work I need to explore my options. But I need a width first...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

2. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Lots of answers to this question...stock A axle or dropped? Dropping an axle narrows it. There are a bunch of different ways to adapt Buick drums and depending on which spindle and brake combo you have, drum mounted inboard or outboard...etc. The different combinations could be up to 6 inches different in width.

3. Damn. I'm using a stock axle and (hopefully) F250 backing plates. But if we're off a couple inches at this stage in the game its no big deal

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

What is the difference in F250 plates and 53-56 F100 plates?

5. town sedan

town sedan

I'm glad this is a post about brakes. At first I was thinking we had the return of acid crazy 60's show rods.
    -Dave

lothiandon1940 and razoo lew like this.
  6. F-100 brakes are 11" and will not fit the Buick drum, F-250 brakes are 12" and do fit the Buick drum.

Mick

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. Thank you Mick. Beat me to it.

8. Andy

Andy

The F 250 plates fit the spindles but are too shallow for an easy installation. Lincolns are the only way to go with Buicks.

9. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I have seen conversions where they used the entire Buick setup, backing plates and all. It requires bearing adapters to be made but looks like the cleaner way to do it to me. I think a few years ago a HAMBer was even making a kit to do it.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29RAT was making the bearing adapters to use the whole Buick hub and drum.

I have them on my A. A perfect fit.

11. About 61-1/2" with the 250's or about 61" with Lincoln or Lockheed using either '48 style hubs or 29RAT's adapters.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  12. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

I as well...that was a scary vision....