Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project 29 Tudor in Mass.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikel50, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Mikel50

Mikel50

Haha. I built it just to hold the column in place temporarily. I won't keep it in the car. I don't like it, But I thought the same thing as I was making it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Nicely done project, keep up the good work. Love the wooden floors in the garage !

Mikel50 likes this.
  3. safetythird

safetythird

Lookin' good man!

Mikel50 likes this.
  4. Mikel50

Mikel50

Went forward this afternoon with channeling the body.
    Got it sitting 2” lower.
    I came up with an idea of making a frame at the current height using legs onto the chassis.
    Then I added legs that were 2” shorter next to them.
    Once the subfloor was removed and I relieved the weight off the taller legs, I cut the tack welds off and set the body down on the shorter legs.
    (One man job)
    Worked perfectly.

So here is sits [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I’ll start laying out the floor tomorrow.

Cheers !

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. great idea Mike! Working alone, as many of us do, has it challenges at times. Happy New Year fella!

Mikel50 and biggeorge like this.
  6. That’s wicked Smart !!
    I’m going to try this when I get ready to do my 30 Buick coupe. Right after I figure out how to put the body back together with no wood for patterns.

Mikel50 likes this.
  7. Well done!

Mikel50 likes this.
  8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Looking good Mike, that's a big decision that adds a bunch of work. The picture from the rear quarter makes it all worth while though. Like you, I like it when the fender line is at the top of the tire.
    Good thinking on the 2" shorter tubes, brilliant!

barrnone50 and Mikel50 like this.
  9. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks Fellas !
    I’m super happy with the look now.

That rear quarter picture is the one I keep looking at. That’s the look I was hoping to get.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  10. Mikel50

Mikel50

Started laying out the floor but decided a bit easier project would be better for this last day of 2017.
    So I decided to button up my front fender brackets by adding some additional metal connecting the two mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Got both sides done so that’s off the to do list.
    Last project of 2017.

Happy New Year Guys !

F&J, mike bowling, barrnone50 and 7 others like this.
  11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

You make it look easy, Mike!

Mikel50 likes this.
  12. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Those fenders came out Sweet!! Great idea on backing plate ... Like NashRodMan said you make it look Easy!!
    Looking Good Man!!

F&J and Mikel50 like this.
  13. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks Fellas !
    I just get an idea and go for it. It’s the tools, Having the tools now makes my ideas possible. Or easier to make possible

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

biggeorge likes this.
  14. Mikel50

Mikel50

Made some progress on the floor frame today thanks to the snow day.
    The frame perimeter is 1-1/2” angle 1/8 wall and the floor structure is 2” X 1/2” channel 1/8 wall.
    I decided on the channel to gain an extra 1/2” of headroom over using 1” box tube.
    I made it so I can lift the body off the chassis and remove the floor structure separate and finish weld it both sides.
    Then once it’s all set I’ll lift the body up and place it back down and weld the two together.
    I ran out of stock before I could do the cowl and trans areas.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bunch of brake parts showed up this am so that will be on the The to do list this weekend.

My shrinker/ stretcher showed up also and my bead roller is on order... makin moves

F&J, mike bowling, brEad and 6 others like this.
  15. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Mike great progress!! Looking Good!!

Mikel50 likes this.
  16. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow Mike, you are getting a lot done and it's nice work! With all the tooling you're buying you'll be able to open you're own shop! Lol

Mikel50 likes this.
  17. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks Fellas.

I’m getting a lot more comfortable with the metal work now that I have some good tools.

You guys are watching me learn as I build my car ... confidence right now is on my side so I’m gonna keep on truckin !

Hoping to have my car together to trailer to Wildwood this year.

I know I can’t run it but I sure can cruise it.

It may not be perfection but it sure is progress.

ronotron, brEad, wheeldog57 and 4 others like this.
  18. Mikel50

Mikel50

Started laying out my filler panels between the new floor/subrail and rear portion of the body.
    I fabricated a mount the entire width of the rear / subrail to attach the new floor to the original rear subrail crossmember on the back of the car.
    Hard to get pics of it but you can see the gussets I made using some top hat stock from the vertical window/interior panel mounting stock. (I think that’s what it is.
    I had to remove the lower 4” because of stepping the rear.

Hopefully get those done in 16 ga later today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It may not be perfection, but it sure is progress.

Mike L.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  19. “It may not be perfection, but it sure is progress.”

Isn’t that the truth! Really enjoying your build.;)

Mikel50 likes this.
  20. mike bowling

mike bowling

You're killin' it, Brother! Excellent. ( I hear flatheads in the distance )
    )

wheeldog57, patmanta and Mikel50 like this.
  21. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

nice work... I like how your welds look like mine... flop welds are just a dream for me !

Mikel50 likes this.
  22. 51box

51box
    from MA

Looking good keep pushing Mike, you’re getting a lot of the big steps knocked off the list

Mikel50 likes this.
  23. F&J

F&J

no chit! I have studied the "Constant failures" of these types of early rod fenders for a long time through the last 45+ plus years!! I'd even look at old backing plates at swaps that showed cracks and chunks missing! This one looks SO different! You still need to look for stress cracks at whatever is now the "vibration concentrated point", wherever that is... Cracks would show up pretty nicely if it sees some wet road driving in the miles and miles to come...slight brown lines!

Floor substructure, Mike...you knocked it out of the park! I always shook my head when lots of builders here buy expensive stock subrails...especially on 32s and the A coupes! then need to cut them all up anyways! Not a economic way to build anything, even if a person has plenty!

really like the fillers you got going, out to fill the body metal skin gaps! Sweet..

I had been off the main board due to brain issues from lyme that I knew I had, but did not figure out it was making me so wicked pissy, so I had to bail! ...or keep causing silly drama here! I wish I could have gotten someone to treat me earlier, but that was then, this is NOW! Rock IT! Mike..

mike bowling and Mikel50 like this.
  24. Mikel50

Mikel50

You guys are making me all warm and fuzzy.

I still have a ways to go but I’m motivated with all the recent progress.
    Worked on the toe board and firewall area last night.

F&J, Welcome back !
    Glad to hear you are regaining your health. Hopefully they’ve got everything figured out. I’ve heard so many nightmares regarding Lyme disease.
    Thank you for the info on the backing plates. I will certainly keep watch. I added the extra bracing and mounting surface to the mounts to hopefully avoid it. Also to give them the appearance as something that would have been specifically made for ford brakes “back in the day “
    The floor, $105 total as of now. Should have plenty of extra stock after I’m done.
    Certainly cheaper than dicing up new subrails !!

It’s getting there !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mike bowling, F&J and biggeorge like this.
  25. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Nice work.

Mikel50 likes this.
  26. Looking good, Did the car come with a MA title ? Reason I ask is have you considered what you need to get tags ?

27. Mikel50

Mikel50

It did not. I was taking to a friend the other night about it too.
    I have spoke with a few guys following along on their “system” on how to get it registered.
    I don’t want to get ahead of myself but maybe I should get more aggressive about moving forward with the process.

I have my Frame number so I guess it all starts there.

It may not be perfection, but it sure is progress - Mike L.

brEad and mike bowling like this.
  28. I had to make several trips toget mine . I had it since 75 and they wanted sales tax on it with interest ! I got around it all with help from supervisor at the registry. Turns out they have a form for buying from a barn find/farmer . Notarize everything and give accounting of cars whereabouts in past years and have notarized along with vin number and a law enforcement type signing off on visual and then running vin thru stolen vehicle database etc. I wrote a wiki on it will try to find and post. I don't have access to my paperwork as its in storage. I think you can get it all done and get tags before you finish.

Best thing is to say as little as possible and that maybe you inherited the car thereby no sales tax. Just takes some imagination.

biggeorge and Mikel50 like this.
  29. Mikel50

Mikel50

That’s exactly what I was told.

It may not be perfection, but it sure is progress - Mike L.

mike bowling likes this.