Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Well, I'm done!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Last night at 12:00 I finally retired after teaching for 38 years. A lot of fine young men went through my classes and for the vast majority of the time it was a blast. Very satisfying helping students realize the empowerment, self satisfaction, and fun learning can be.

Now I have to finally hook up my radiant heating in my shop, replace my "cheater 5hp" compressor with a 7.5 hp one, and finally finish my OT LBC. Then it's on to my '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria or my '32 5W. I have many other projects to do so I hope my pension lasts until I'm 200 years old so I can finish them all!

Of course I wake up this morning sick...

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Congratulations. You are in for the time of your life. You are going to wonder how you ever had time to work. Just remember, you don't have to hurry anymore, you have the rest of your life.....200 years.
    You probably won't get sick as much now that you won't be around young people all day, but your body will definitely tell you its wearing down.
    Enjoy, this is what you worked all your life for.

3. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

congrats and stay busy, it helps I have 10 more to go

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations...enjoy your golden years...now get well and get tinkerin...:)

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations! Hope you have many, many happy years ahead of you - you've earned them.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Just be careful of those"Golden Years".Sometimes,the turn out to be brass plated pot metal:eek::p.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

F&J and 56don like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

The really weird thing is mentally I still feel like I'm at most 40 years old. I'll be 62 Feb 7th. That's the benefit of hanging around young people for so long.

8. bct

bct

congrats . look forward to watching your builds

Clay Belt likes this.
  9. boutlaw

boutlaw

Ditto to what 56Don, been retired for almost 8 years now, don't know how I held a job for so long, theres so much to do, no time for a JOB...Congratulations...Now get out to the shop

Outlaw

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

make sure that you are truly over what is ailing you now - then jump in to your projects - you will be busier and spend more money than you ever thought - have a plan/budget/time line - always good to check out local swaps/shows when you can - have fun

osage orange likes this.
  11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Congratulations! I taught for 40 years and 3 days.What the other guys said about wondering how you ever had time to work is absolutely true! Enjoy.

osage orange likes this.
  12. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Kind of tough to call in sick when you have to call yourself!
    Get well and get after it.

13. chargin03

chargin03

Good luck and Have fun.

14. Good for you! Take the day off...why not?

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Congratulations.
    You earned it, for sure.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

NO, your a man that's just normal!
    As men we do not mature past a certain point in time, in some cases it's 18, or 25, in your case it's 40 and that makes your wife a lucky woman!
    In my case and is the case of many on the H.A.M.B. it's the somewhere between 18 and 25!
    That's why at our age we still go play in the garage, do burnouts in the driveway right after we put a new set of tires on our car, or buy the latest tool that we really need!
    Enjoy your retirement, I certainly have for the last couple of years!
    KK

osage orange and pitman like this.
  17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Congrats. One year this month for me and I am DONE.

18. You didn't teach engrish by any chance,didya? received_1513657818747998.jpeg

Donuts & Peelouts and RMONTY like this.
  19. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Congrats! If it's a "cold" type sick, wild turkey American Honey, An hot tea, Will sooth the throat, an works Every time here! Cheer's...

20. pitman

pitman

Get a big box fan, plumb it downstream, and do any stinky stuff (sanding fudge, stripping paint...) by sitting upstream of the fan draw. Have fun, you've earned this one!

RODIST likes this.
  21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Congratulations on a job well done. You can now kick back and not have to worry about the old routine, it's your time now to shine and enjoy retirement. I'm on pre-retirement leave now and look forward to that big day. Likewise when that day comes for me it will be 38yrs as well.

22. blackanblue

blackanblue

Congrats enjoy every minute, I retired in 08 and don't regret one little bit.

23. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I do act younger than 40 quite often. I agree that men don't mature like women. Women have kids and mature. Men on the other hand stay young at heart. Big responsibilities, salaries, etc. and just bigger toys. Saw an old fellow hobbling down the street. Must have been around 80 years old. I asked him if he had arthritis. "Not one bit; got hip checked the other night playing hockey!" was his reply.

catdad49 and KoolKat-57 like this.
  24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Oops! Got me. I did teach English for eleven years but I posted that this morning laying in bed feeling rough and not wearing my glasses. Go pick on someone younger! LOL... Repaired now.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    osage orange, kmrumedy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Pre-retirement leave? Man you Aussies have it all figured out. I took one week off prior to the week before the Christmas break, enjoyed the two week break, and then my retirement kicked in. Kinda the same? I met a very good friend from Geelong who came as an exchange teacher. He's always after me to come on down under. Never happened since my summer break was prime time weather wise around the soggy wet-coast. But now I should scoot down there to enjoy some hot weather. Perhaps one day I'll be in your neck of the woods.

26. jim snow

jim snow

June 30th 2015 38 years hi way maintenance. It's been the best.Snowman

27. Don Nagel

Don Nagel

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Me too for thirty eight years but I retired at fifty six and I am now sixty nine..I have been retired for a little over 1/3rd of the time I worked, might make it to even steven..Remember to relax and smell the roses!!

osage orange likes this.
  29. ...sooo, english for 11 years, what for the other 27 years.?