Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 41 Ford Deluxe tudor build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hyvolt, Jan 5, 2017.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Did you mix it in some 140 wt gear oil or something else? I'm looking to tear my boxes down this weekend.

2. T42

T42

Good info in here about the steering box. Thanks guys.

3. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Nope. Stp only.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. T42

T42

Well I got my rams horns delivered the other day. Looks like they are going to work with the stock box. I will have to have a good muffler shop do some fancy bending on the pipes but should work.

Attached Files:

5. T42

T42

Made a few more strides toward getting this beast fired up. Got my new 3 row Champion radiator, new edlebrock 600 cfm carb., new alternator, and water pump installed. Need to do some wiring to get it started. Also got the original steering box installed and hooked up. Since this is a low buck project (if there is such a thing) Im also doing my own interior panels and carpet. I got this black diamond pleat off of ebay for the door and side panels. I had to make all new panels to put it on using the old worn out ones as a template. Also since the upholstery on the seats is in pretty nice condition I decided to do a vinyl die on them. They actually look really good. Ive used this product on one of my boats and it held up really well. Ive included a before and after pic of the front bench seat.

Attached Files:

6. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I've been learning how to paint and working alot, but now im back. Got my dash, steering column and misc parts painted. Im really happy for my first attempt. No runs and shines pretty good. Doesn't lay perfectly flat, but i guess i need some more input on how to fix that next time. I'm pleased enough to bolt it up.[​IMG][​IMG]

neilswheels and brEad like this.
  7. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I managed to get the dash in, column mounted. I seem to get more done in the winter.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

By the way, if you have nevet used pine-sol as a carburetor cleaner, you are looking at the results. Absolutely amazing, for $7.

chop job likes this.
  8. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

After 5 seperate electric fan shrouds and different fan combos, and an attempt to run the crank mounted fan, i have finally found something that works for me. For a while i was set on the original fan, but when i went to install my swaybar the fan was in the way.

Derale fan with aluminum shroud. I have 1/2 inch closed cell foam rubber holding the shroud off the core.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  9. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

[​IMG]

The lower mount legs attach the the frame by being held down under the washer of my sway bar, while i will run one bolt through the opening in the core(surrounded by rubber) allowing movement between the shroud and radiator. Only contact between shroud and radiator will be through the foam.

brEad likes this.
  10. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Well, been real busy. Insulated the fire wall with Noico 80 mill sound deadener and the 150 mill insulation. I highly recommend it. Great product and comparable or better that the competition. Bolted down the floor pan, installed 2 inch drop blocks from afco. Also set pinion angle and tacked up the axle pads. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Over my winter vacation i also managed to get it started! It was a big boost to hear the flasthead roar back. Had good oil pressure, and no major leaks. I had 2 head nuts seap for a minute then dry up. I have a video on you tube. I will try and link it here if it is possible.

12. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Starting on the exhaust build tonight. Going to mock up some bends before i order my pipe. Thinking 1 3/4 duals with Brockmans or straight pipes. I want some noise, but not crazy. Plan on driving it to work and back, and thats 100 miles a trip.

neilswheels likes this.
  13. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice stance and a good sounding flatty! Congrats!

14. Sounds good! Liked that shot when you backed up so we could see the whole side view. Great looking car, stance is right on.

15. T42

T42

Looks and sounds great! I got mine running but no video yet. I have been ordering parts but not touched my 41 in over a month. Hopefully now that the holidays are over and warmer weather is coming our way, I will hit it hard next week.

16. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

Built some mandrel bent exhaust for the drivers side. I don't have a custom exhaust shop close, so that forced me to try something new. So far im happy. I plan on wrapping it with header wrap to keep the steering box happier. Clears everything, even with the clutch against the floor. Used 1 3/4 pipe. On to the easy side now.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

redzula and brEad like this.
  17. studebaker46

studebaker46

Hyvolt Warrenton tire and muffler on south service road dopretty good custom exhaust. They do quite a few hotrods Tom

18. jkski

jkski

been watching you are burning through the build and looking very nice,love the 41 many hate the looks of the front end .I on the other hand think simple and clean style is one the best.

19. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I was told they quit custom exhaust. Just had the wife's van re- tired at May's, and that is who told me.

20. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

When i bought it, i was just looking for somthing with clean metal. But now i really have come to like all the unique features that it has. Seems less moderen than the post war cars. I even prefer the ribbed trim down the side.

In your avatar, do you have a 58/59 apache truck?

21. studebaker46

studebaker46

I

22. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

A standard axle is 2 i think, but 6 is a lot.

23. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

might be a bit late, but a hurst mount will bolt on the stock frame mounts

24. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Cool builds. Lots of good info, particularly the steering box stuff.

25. jkski

jkski

Yes I have a 1958 apache fleetsside smal back window,235 with 700r4 and 8 inch ford rearend.I live in st,peters,Mo.

26. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

My Step-dad's 58 Apache was the first thing automotive wise I learned to wrench on. It had a SBC with a small blower on it at one point, but I think he sold it w/o the motor. We were living in St peters at the time (86-88). I think he sold it in the early 2000's. He was from around Troy at the time. Your truck doesn't happen to be school bus yellow with a heavy pearl?

27. jkski

jkski

No,1958 rambler chatsworth green, pulled out of a farmers field outside of Springfield,Mo.It was two tone gold and biege at that time.I saw a truck you described at the troy car show and also parked in wentzville on the main st.for the annual scope the loop.Think it was 1986 or 1987.

28. Hyvolt

Hyvolt

I have finished my first exhaust job. I think it turned out pretty good. I borrowed a Chicago style conduit bender, 1.5 emt is the same as 1.75 exhaust pipe. All the bends are mandrel bent, and i welded the whole thing up. Sounds perfect right now, when i get it on the road ill see if its too loud.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I need to trim the pipe length out the rear, but waiting to figure out what to do with the bumper.

brEad, redzula, LBCD and 1 other person like this.
  29. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

I kind of like how it looks with the tips hanging out like that. without the bumper.

30. jkski

jkski

not bad at all