Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 5W Jalopy Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Shaun1162, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Forgive the "stencils"... Trying to figure out if I should make the number straight with the body line, or leave it crooked- liked they've been for the last 50 years... My second attempt at numbering. Should be fun.

[​IMG]

2. Man the car looks great! I love the shot with the body off. So cool! Sorry about the race. Not Troggy enough I guess? Sure was a great motivator though!

Shaun1162 likes this.
  3. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Shaun1162 likes this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Guess you made it Too nice. Just remember, the only person you have to please is yourself! I think the numbers should be staggered like they were, but that's just me. I think you have done the car Proud, Carp

slv63 and Shaun1162 like this.
  5. Well done, trog or no trog. I love the "before and afters" at the beginning of your thread. I'll bet that car could tell some stories.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slv63 and Shaun1162 like this.
  6. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Ha thanks man- it did help speed things along. Reason they gave was that it was a "dirt track car and they are a drag type race". They might take a look at it again, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Thanks man, looking forward to seeing your single seater up and running!

I appreciate the kind words. I'm satisfied with how things are progressing with the car, and now that the pressure is off, I don't have to worry about rushing it. I'm leaning the same on staggered numbers- everything else on the car is crooked, those might as well be too.

Ha you're definitely right, this thing has seen some action- even since I've owned it. Supposedly one night at a track in VT it drove over the bank and ended up out in the cornfield- guy said it took a while to get all the corn stalks out of it. Thanks for compliments.

7. Nocero

Nocero

Just found this build or rebuild i should say.
    I read your other two build threads and the first one on this car any updates on the other two projects?

Shaun1162 likes this.
  8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thought I'd share a little progress...

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_E3905.JPG
    IMG_3949.JPG

IMG_E4693.JPG

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hopefully this little rig will be receiving a new mill by spring time. After 5+ years, acquiring 5 different flatheads, and dealing with a bunch of headaches with each, it looks like I've finally got enough to build a decent flatty.

I picked up an 8BA block at an estate sale for $100 (only bid). Fresh back from the machine shop (the day before the auction), looks like it was mag'ed, 4 sleeves, and the rest cleaned up. Already drilled for adjustable lifters.

IMG_4658.JPG

The crank is coming from an engine that I traded a couple pieces of ductwork for. The car had sat in a swamp, and after the oilpan rotted out, the engine was invaded by about 10,000 ants. But after cleaning it out, robbing the pistons for another flathead, and using the block for a coffee table, I found that the crank was freshly turned .020. Currently polishing it a little, and trying to find someone to balance the rotating assembly.

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4660.JPG

10. greaser

greaser

Big change with bottom body panels. Looks awesome.

11. Pete

Pete

Yea man, what a difference .

Shaun1162 likes this.
  12. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Shaun1162 likes this.
  13. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Those bottom pieces are WELL WORTH your time to fab and install!
    really helps the look (and value) of the car

48fordnut and Shaun1162 like this.
  14. adam401

adam401

Wow your coupe looks tough as nails! Awesome!

Shaun1162 likes this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Who would’ve thought six inches would make such a difference down there?
    That’s what she....
    I’ve been hoping from the start you would add patches at some point.
    Awesome!

kidcampbell71 and Shaun1162 like this.
  16. Hell of a good job Shaun.

18n57 and Shaun1162 like this.
  17. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

KOOL I like it WOW looking good :cool: :cool:

18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Big (bore) update coming on the mill for this machine... Until then, does anyone recognize these Offy heads? Can’t say I’ve ever seen ones with water outlet like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I would be inclined to say they're intended for late blocks, 8BA/EAB. They probably had their own water necks or were meant to put the stock necks at a different angle to clear something.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome build . TROG's loss not yours. You have done a great job getting the car looking right. That grill is the tits.

21. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Anyone an expert on flathead valvetrains?

The two big bores I acquired are set up for the beveled adjustable lifters on the left. Regular adjustable on the right.

From what I can find, I believe they’re Weber? Or maybe Isky?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  22. 3blapcam

3blapcam

That's cool as shit! I bet Bored & Stroked has input... hit him up.

3blap.

Runnin shine and Shaun1162 like this.
  23. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Looking good, i guess i bettter finish that other ignition system for the new motor. Do you also need a Mallory coil for it too...

kidcampbell71 and Shaun1162 like this.
  24. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I think this intake valve is slightly bigger than stock...

[​IMG]

25. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

The slotted lifters were pinned to prevent them from rotating.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  26. banjorear

banjorear

Yes, Isky and Weber and other companies offered these. You need to contact Cam Grinder Pete. He's may post here, but definitely posts on Fordbarn. He'll be able to hook you up with a cam and clips for those lifters.

Shaun1162 likes this.
  27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Some more progress.

Cut out the inner door section from this donor I got from @cad-lasalle and test fit. Trying to figure out the best way to get the top of the door back into shape?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bit of an update on the mill for the coupe...

Recently acquired two old school race flattys from a friend in VT. Disassembled, but mostly complete.

This is the one I’ve decided to go with- 8BA, bore .125 over, ported, relieved, fresh offset ground Merc 4 1/8” crank. Plans are to finish it off with an Isky cam that was included, the Offy heads that were thrown in, and an old Edelbrock 3x2. And of course a fresh Mallory from @GMCBubba

[​IMG]

Chasin threads, waiting for the Bobcat to warm up and to move some more snow... And why yes, yes that is a snowdrift in the shop. Pretty much ready to move South haha.

[​IMG]

28. Glad I decided to read this thread. Awesome resurrection. Vast improvement in looks without detracting from the history. Now I wonder if some of the beat up old dirt trackers I've passed up were really missed opportunities.

catdad49 and Shaun1162 like this.
  29. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Cleaned up the old 3 ring Speedo-motive slugs and early rods. As you can see, everything was left apart for quite some time and covered in rust, grease, and grime. They cleaned up well, but I have hit a bit of a speed bump.

Rods are a mixture of 21A and 91A’s. They appear to have been balanced, but aren’t marked so well. It appears I have a 1,2, a pair of 3’s, and a #4. Not so handy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Check when ya put them back on the crank , clearance good ??? RUN THEM !!!!!

48fordnut and chryslerfan55 like this.