Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Restoring and Upgrading King Bee Headlight Tech

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by curbspeed, Jan 4, 2018.

1. trey32

trey32

Are you going to be swapping headlights alot??

2. Funny Rob, I'm still looking at all possibilities. Not wiring the car right now anyways. The headlights were a minor diversion from working on bodywork. Doors are almost done for now and now onto the main body. Firewall will get some attention tomorrow. Stay tuned.

3. Most of the time I'll probably run without them for the stripped down Bonneville look. I just want options that's all. Kinda like Ken Schmidt's 33 3 W coupe of the Rolling Bones. He has removable headlights

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Round trailer socket with cover, something like this

[​IMG]

Mounted on a bracket behind the frame, facing down. Virtually invisible when not in use, keeps the water, salt, and whatever out too. And meant for 12V, though maybe check the amp rating vs. what those halogens will pull. You could double the connector pins to split the load if needed.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

curbspeed and bct like this.
  5. upspirate

upspirate

6. upspirate

upspirate

7. Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  8. rudestude

rudestude

I had a 55 Chevy with a tilt nose that could be unpinned and lifted off.... I run my wiring for my lights into the frame rail and where they exited I had a bulkhead plug,the receiving end , rivited to the frame and the end with the plug and threaded ring going to the lights..threaded coupling was a air craft item it was aluminum and water proof and available in multiple pin amounts ..they have similar ones for marine applications also the are usually made of brass ...plus they had a nostalgic look to them....the ones in the previous post would be a nice item also.... I posted a pic of a coupler similar to what I used , I realize they are not compatible parts but maybe give you an idea what I was talking about.....or it might just totally not make any sense at all.......[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

curbspeed likes this.
  9. Cool tech. I love the idea.
    I've had removable headlights on the Chemical City Coupe since the build in 2013. I run without headlights unless out after dark. As far as electrical connections, we used the weather pack connectors that House of Fab posted. When the headlights are unplugged, I just leave the exposed end hanging next to the frame rail. No need to cover. I've never had an issue with the lights not working when plugged back in and I've got over 20,000 miles on the car in all sorts of weather. Tons of rain and even some snow. Lol.

IMG_02981.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Yes, I like these ideas. I like the aircraft bulkhead fitting idea a lot. I'll find a couple when I get ready to wire it. Thanks all for the suggestions. The electrical plug end is going away and I'm going to use something more appropriate.

11. Arominus

Arominus

what ever you get, make sure its good and waterproof, you will get corrosion issues. I have had some problems with relays that i put in for headlights that get wet, they corrode the connector and blades enough to where i'm out with the deoxit and emory cloth every year or so on my OT DD. It barely even rains here.. My vote is weatherpak, it will save you a bit of hassle

curbspeed likes this.
  12. Sounds like sound advice. Thanks

wideglide74 likes this.