Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Battery choices for 12V AV8 roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by banjorear, Jan 6, 2018.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Realizing that I should have the battery in house while doing the chassis mock up. I've seen a few guys here are running the Odyssey PC680. It seems like it's a motorcycle battery and has 170 cca.

Would this be sufficient for a flathead V8? I like that it's a small, dry cell battery made in the USA. Open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks

2. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine started using these Dyna-Bats in every car he builds out of his shop. They are a great size and dry cell so great for mounting options. There is no CCA rating on them but the Amp hour rating is huge. They have some pretty big claims as far as what they can do. My friend has had no issues with them cranking over some big number small blocks. I plan on using one in my car when the time comes. The price is pretty good too.
    https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dui-5575b/overview/

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only question on those small size batteries is, are you going to be able to readily find a replacement if it craps out on a road trip. Last time I went to Bonneville My battery gave out in the middle of Oregon and I pulled into a tire store at 7:30 in the morning and they had me out of there in about 45 minutes with a new battery on warranty. If you have a dead battery in Rock Springs Wyoming on the way to Bonneville how many days do you want to wait for UPS ground to bring the only size battery that fits your ride?

4. banjorear

banjorear

I was thinking of a Dyna-Bat but kept seeing Odesseys being mentioned. I think Dyna-Bat was one of the originators of the small, dry cell type battery.

5. banjorear

banjorear

I've been thinking of this as well. I was thinking of getting one of these small, dry cells but make the mounting box somewhat forgiving in the size of the battery it will accept for this very reason.

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going with a regular sized battery and holder in a location I can get at easily. Then if I decide at some point to go to a smaller dry cell type I will have extra room.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  7. I like easy off the shelf, I went with a group 51.....Honda.

orangeamcs likes this.
  8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

for years I took a tape measure and the battery's measurements to the parts store... a girl at o'rielly's showed me how all batteries have a size code... so every battery on my property now fits my hot rod, they are 58c...
    a 58r has the post polarity reversed...HIH.

dwollam and studebaker46 like this.
  9. I've been using Odyssey batt's for 15 years now. Never had one just "Crap out". In fact my John Deere tractor still has the first one in it I ever bought. It can sit for 6 months and still start the Diesel like I shut if off yesterday. I run them in everything and currently own 7 of them. I have no connection with the Odyssey company except through my Wallet over the counter. Best $$$ I've ever spent on any Batt. I can also tell you they are just about as easy to come by as an Interstate brand. I can tell you this also. If I ended up in Bum F Egypt and couldn't find a replacement, a little Old School Hot engineering with any old Batt and my set of jumper cables would surly get me back to civilization.
    The Wizzard

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have a PC680 starting a sbc 350. It sat out in -10 degrees last night. Started just fine. 3 year old battery.

11. Ody's are good batteries. They weigh a ton, like twice of a regular battery. Once they hit between 8-9V, they're gone. They have special charging requirements also. Use them at work= Interceptors last about 2 years to the day, with a 3 yr warranty. Stick one in a F-250, and 5 yrs easy....
    I'de go with, and am, sticking with the ol'e reliable group 65/78 series.....
    Very easily replaced, and if in a pinch, I can stick a smaller bat in to get me by.......
    Build a small bat box, and if SHTF, you wont be able to do "off the shelf".
    Sure= a Honda battery might work, but instead of replacing and leaving it alone, now a POS is getting you by, and you have to buy another correct replacement. Homework...........
    And- They aren't carried at any major chain around here. Only from battery supply chains. No store is going to carry the line= too much overhead, and would have to be ordered. Not to say some places don't, but now becomes "specialized" and when on the road, broke down, or just SOL at home, why wait? Be over and done.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  12. 3D8F4E9F-5514-456D-9113-2F6ECB1D9218.jpeg C5975FDA-97B3-4539-AF20-2B70888C7ADD.jpeg I run a “garden tractor” battery in the trunk of my 32 cabriolet from tractor supply. This battery spins the strong flathead v8 without any problems! I think it is 300-400 ccs, but not real sure.

13. banjorear

banjorear

Are you thinking of Optimum batteries? The Odyessey battery I'm looking at weighs 13 lbs.

14. banjorear

banjorear

Cool. Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with an PC680.

15. Nope.....Have them in all patrol cars. Group 65. Heavy as all hell. If you have/looking at one that weighs 13lbs, it might spin something over easily, and last without a lot of draw, but- there's always a catch...... Just because it's small, and lightweight, doesn't make it a duck so to speak..... Just chimed for the OP to not build for a small bat, or one that's not all that shelf friendly..... Check things out, and get what suit's you best.;)

mad mikey likes this.
  16. harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

I just went to Walmart and bought a 430 CCA lawn tractor battery. It's over 2 years old and nary a problem. I believe they cost 49.00, It will start my 8BA 100 times on a single charge.

17. That’s the issue, not everyone has room for a large Ford group 65. I guess it depends on your area, but around here a group 51 is everywhere, but tractor or golf cart places are not. Plus the 51 has 500 cca plenty for most applications.

18. brady1929

brady1929

19. joee

joee

i have used dyna batt for 15 years....work great. have gotten over 5 years with them. probably have used them in 8 hot rods. i use 0 or 1 cable and mount as close to the starter as possible

20. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I use the PC680 in my ‘28. It’s tucked under the seat on its side. It will cold crank the Flathead for 10 seconds, several times without even slowing down. Love it!!!!

21. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The earlier Miatas use a battery that mounts up behind the dash. They are small in size and a dry cell. I have used them and they work good. Most parts stores will have them. Pricey at the Mazda dealers!

22. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome thread- I'm using the "one click bigger" PC925 in my sedan and it has worked well. I have a bit of "capacity anxiety" after I ran it dead with too many starts with extended idles while tuning the carbs. Now I tend to get paranoid and ensure the revs are up during driving to make sure it charges. I'd do it again though.

23. 49-51 Merc box narrowed to accommodate a modern GM group 75 12v battery which is nicely scaled to an A chassis.

Attached Files:

Max Gearhead likes this.
  24. rosstom

rosstom

Sounds like a good plan. Can't go wrong with an Odyssey battery

25. a36bonanza

a36bonanza

I choose the PC680 in my 30 coupe build, hides away nice and they make a mounting tray for it. Tim's trunk 1.jpg Tim's trunk 2.jpg

Attached Files: