Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hide the radio ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by juan motime, Jan 4, 2018.

1. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone ever used a Stewart Warner South Wind heater housing to hide a radio/stereo?
    I would like to see some pictures.
    Thanks,
    Harry

2. redo32

redo32

3. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bandit Billy likes this.

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I posted that thread with the idea in mind of using an old heater box to hide the electronics in. I built the radio box because I have a drinking problem and some fab skills (dangerous combination). I love the idea of having some late model technology as long as it isn't glaringly obvious. Be creative and, like your math teacher told you in school, "remember to show your work".

juan motime and Elcohaulic like this.
  5. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of what I do is not original with me, such is this case. THANK YOU for the inspiration!!
    I slowly reread your post, and sure enough there it was, "using an old heater box". Hey, I'm a second grade speed reader, and I only went a mile to school.
    Joking aside, MUCH THANKS !!

Harry

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saved your thread for future reference.

7. Never2low

Never2low

I picked up a really nice SW, for cheap, years ago, with the same idea.
    I come from a car audio background, and the more I looked at it, I realized they're just so small.
    Completely gutting it, the deflector plate on the bottom is 4" diameter, and can accept a 4" speaker.
    If you cutout/modify the bottom, you may be able to fit a 5-1/4 in there.
    Depending on your listening habits, that may be enough sound for a small coupe, just don't expect any kind low frequencies.
    The electronics, however, might be a tight squeeze.
    Luckily, there are 20X more offerings in the micro amp world, than there were 5 years ago.
    The overall dims of the SW are 9"h - 6"w - 6"d, with the top and front being tapered/rounded.
    The amp and BT module that Billy used, are a little smaller, and have a little more flexibility in mounting, than the all in one that I linked in his thread.
    If I were going to attempt something, I would make a horizontal baffle, in the middle, separating the bottom portion (that will house the speaker) from the top (that will house the electronics) then close off the back of the bottom.
    That way you seal off the rear wave of the speaker, and leave the back of the top open to let the electronics "breath", and run wires.

Maybe I'll spend a couple hours playing around with this, this weekend.

juan motime likes this.
  8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

No but I hid one in a old 8 track player and got the idea from on here

Attached Files:

9. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for this info.
    I just bought a SW on ebay for $12.00, but have not received it yet.
    I don't have any of the electronics yet.
    My project is a 1950 International pickup, so there is plenty of room.
    I'm very slow on this project, but will post some pictures when I get started on this part.....don't hold your breath.

THANKS,

Harry

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's one of the challenges of having a traditional car but wanting an up to date sound system. I want to hide mine in plain sight under the dash with some sort of cover. The dash I am going to run in the truck came with a restored radio so with a 6V volt drop I'll have it working too just because. Let folks wonder how I can rattle windows with Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop with an AM radio.

juan motime likes this.
  11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

With small technology today you don't have to worry about hiding audio. I bought a Kenwood Bluetooth amp that gets my music wirelessly from my smart phone. I can control it with either the smartphone or with a wired remote control (which I installed in the ashtray).
    [​IMG]

patmanta and juan motime like this.