Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Restoring and Upgrading King Bee Headlight Tech

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by curbspeed, Jan 4, 2018.

1. My never ending 34 coupe build is moving along once again. Goal is for LARS this year. Wanted options for headlights so I started working on the always traditional and ever popular King Bee 7" headlights. Follow along if you can use this information. Was going to wait for Tech Week but that seems like that is a thing of the past.
    First find yourself a decent pair of King Bee headlights that are not all roached out or dented. This pair here needed some loving to get them back into shape. Can't find a pic of what they looked like before bodywork and paint but that is unimportant. Here are the parts I am using. The lenses are 48 to 51 Plymouth Bullseye 6V sealed beam bulbs that I separated carefully. These can be found if you look at swapmeets cheaply if you look for them. If not pay stupid prices on Ebay. They don't have to work unless you are using 6V on your hotrod than you might not want to upgrade to H4 halogens like I'm doing here. I'm using 14-3 black extension cord because I like how it looks and works. You can see the separated backs with high heat headlight plugs. I used a halogen retrofit kit that I have had forever. Not sure who makes them now but I'm sure someone does. Gorilla two sided tape is to bed the lens onto the reflector. It may take a few headlights to find decent reflectors. IMG_3854.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  2. Here is the halogen bulb mounted into the reflector. I used a dab of clear caulk to make it not rattle on the backside around the retaining ring. I am pointing to the lip of the reflector that need to be cut back so it does not interfere with the headlight retaining ring. Use a 1/4 strip of Gorilla tape in this area to seat the lense. Headlight bulbs had a gasket that you can use if you can save it while parting lense from steel backing. These lenses can break so get a few extra. I did break one while doing this job. IMG_3855.JPG IMG_3858.JPG IMG_3855.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  3. Now you could just buy halogen bulbs and stick them in there but that would not be very unique would it? So I went for something that looks like it belongs on a hotrod. IMG_3856.JPG IMG_3853.JPG IMG_3851.JPG IMG_3850.JPG IMG_3847.JPG IMG_3848.JPG

kidcampbell71, bubba55 and Stogy like this.
  4. Here is the finished product. Upgrade to H4 halogen bulbs with old school traditional lenses make for a bitchin' pair of headlights and one more option for the Curbspeed Coupe. I am going to attempt to use a hidden single receptacle under the edge of the frame to plug in different set of headlights quickly. We'll see if it works. Need to finish my set of Owlites soon. The other finished set are Arrows. IMG_3862.JPG IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3860.JPG IMG_3861.JPG

Attached Files:

Hot Rods Ta Hell and Stogy like this.

5. Hope this gives you true hotrodders another option for lighting.

6. alchemy

alchemy

Are you actually using a 20A outlet under the frame to plug those into? (I'd insert a smilie, but maybe you are...)

Thanks for the tech.

7. I'm thinking about how I am going to accomplish a quick disconnect under the frame. Not sure yet. They may end up getting cut off if I find a proper alternative that works easy. I need to look into finding a single receptacle for each side of the frame and some sort of mounting plate or box that is small. I see no reason it should not work and it will be hidden. That part is still up in the air. I want to be able to take off my headlight bar and lights in one easy step and store in trunk or behind the seats when I get to a show or Bonneville. Any suggestions are welcome. I like to think outside of the box.

Stogy likes this.
  8. Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  9. Good tech, I did a similar thing to my blc’s.
    Al.

10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I’d look at a trailer plug. One with a door or cover to keep out stuff when unplugged.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

12. house of fab

house of fab
    from ashland va

Weather pack connectors
    [​IMG]

bubba55 likes this.
  13. I looked at those. Might work for me. I'm looking for a way to reach under the car with one hand and disconnect them. These type of connectors tend to be hard to pry apart without both hands. I 'll see what I come up with today.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  14. alchemy

alchemy

How about one of these? Vintage looking. ;)

outlet plate.jpg

15. LOL I actually have some old 20 amp outlets from my place up north they are even the dark Bakelite (correct word here?). Neat idea to make my headlights quick connect. ;)

16. No, I need to find single receptacle for each side with a cover or plug when not in use I know they make a single 220 outlet, but it won't work here. Don't know if they make such a thing. I'll have to do some research today. I live in Arizona so we don't get much rain so I don't have to worry about it too much. Thanks for the help. Always appreciate your hotrod insight.

17. I'm thinking water even if it gets into the connection it may not even affect it. Any thoughts on 12V connections getting wet?

18. I can get a single 30 amp here I haven't looked for a single 20 amp. They just use a different plug, like on a camper and yes you can get them with a cover for outdoor use. ;)

19. I was going to say something about a GFI but most wouldn't see the humor in it, so I won't.

powrshftr likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a wet location you'll need GFCI outlets.

21. :D :D :D won't need it unless he parks within 3 feet of the hot tub.

curbspeed and timwhit like this.
  22. I just called my local electrical supply house that I use for work and they have a single receptacle in white with a cover that has a watertight flip top cover plate. I'm going to go look at them to see how it looks. Thanks all. I 'm sure some of you think this is really dumb but that is ok. I find I use weird stuff to accomplish my goals all the time. Why be normal? I will cut the receptacle down and box to make it smaller if possible. It will be mounted facing the ground under the inside edge of the frame rail right behind the front crossmember. I want it easy to use or I won't bother.

bct likes this.
  23. Uh, No Ha!

24. bct

bct

What about the 7pin trailer connectors. Not the large plastic ones but the sturdy steel type with the smallet diameter. They have the wings on the end that make them easy to remove with one hand.

25. bct

bct

PK11604_500.jpg
    6 pin is the type

26. Possible. Kinda long for my space. Not sure.

27. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Think that will look pretty big and clunky hanging off a car. The weatherpak connectors would be better.
    SPark

28. rechargeable headlights for a hot rod... what battery are you using ...? LOL

29. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

You could sleeve a tube through the frame and insert the connector bct showed into the sleeve to make it disappear.

curbspeed likes this.
  30. I would never build or put anything on this car that is clunky or ugly. Whatever I do you will not see a thing. I'm sneaky like that. I entertaining going to a trailer supply house and looking at what they have for small connectors.