Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BLUE DOT QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the measurement of my current blue dots in my 37 lenses.
    upload_2018-1-4_15-21-13.png
    Do they make these things smaller than this? I need them to be =/< than 7/8" to fit some tail lights I want to purchase. I want to run the dots. Any one have smaller dots?

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  2. I think they are all the same size. I remember a time when I had to find blue dots at a junkyard. In just any old tail light lens. I then had to drill and file my 38 Chevy lenses to make them fit. Should be a lot easier now days. ;) Ron...

3. Slopok

Slopok

I believe they are all the same size as well. A lot of the new ones are plastic and don't give the same look as original glass ones. Try the Harley dealer if you have one close.

4. That's 1" for the outer rim. I think the hole you drill in the lens is 7/8". Do you need the chrome rim? If not could you drill the hole in the red lens and epoxy the blue jewel into the smaller hole?

qicvick, mario711 and Bandit Billy like this.

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

What? Marbles aren't good enough anymore? Jack E/NJ

6. I've only ever seen the one size. What kind of lenses are you looking to buy that are so small that you need a smaller blue dot?...........Oh yeah, like Slopok mentioned, get the glass blue dots, the plastic ones are junk.

7. Note: can't use LED tail light bulbs with blue dots. The dots are opaque to the single wave length light.

LOU WELLS and Bandit Billy like this.
  8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Blue dots are for the color blind................................................

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Mine are the same as shown.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Max Gearhead and Bandit Billy like this.
  11. Mark T

Mark T

Maybe a small indicator lights can be cut down and adapted;

[​IMG]

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So the problem started with my fascination with one of our HAMBers taillights he makes. I love these things! But the issue is I also like the blue dots. The castings he makes will allow for 7/8" but no bigger so I was hoping there was an alternative.

Maybe epoxying the dot into the lens without the bezel? I've never tried it. I figured I had to ask about the size.

13. Mark T

Mark T

Jack E/NJ above mentioned marbles, I've removed many of the rattles out of spray paint cans that turned out to be blue marbles.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. blue dots.jpg
    From my stash... the real deal...

akoutlaw, czuch, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  15. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Rob, Do you know what year/era those are from?

16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are cool! Put a caliper on that dot for me?

17. Brizo

Brizo
    from Indy

I've driven around at Street Rod Nats. after dark and most blue dot lenses I see don't work correctly - if at all! They work best on 30s and '40s cars and even then, the bulb socket must often be rotated, tilted, or modified so the "stop" filament is directly behind and close as possible to the dot. When correct, a driver behind you will see only bright lavender light when you hit the brakes.

18. Dave Friend

Dave Friend

Hi
    I have to ask. Are blue dot legal to use in all
    states and also in Canada? Also the blue lights in the corner of the windshield. Are they legal?
    Regards
    Dave

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  19. These fit 33-36 Fords and 1949-1951 Ford Woodie Wagons..Lynx Eye made replacement ruby glass lens and the blue dot lens for a lot of applications. I'm going to say maybe mid-50's no dates on the boxes or patent #'s ... I'm pretty sure there was a thread about these lens awhile back @brigrat

20. ... don't have any calipers , sorry... I measured with my tape, with chrome collar it 's 1" in diameter @Bandit Billy

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Close enough sir, close enough. It seems they are all a bit too large to fit the cast zepher bezels I want. Now I have to decide between the dots and the bezels. Not an easy quandary. Thank you my HAMB buddies.

22. [​IMG]
    Start a Conversation Profile Page
    pasadenahotrod

from Texas

Lynx-Eye Blue-dot taillamp lenses were NEVER used as factory equipment on any production vehicle. They were an accessory available at auto parts and hardware stores beginning sometime in the late 30s.
    When Federal/State vehicle standards were regarding lighting were standardized the lenses became "illegal" since the only color lights showable by law from the rear are red, amber and a white licenese illumination light.
    I visited a junkyard in Industry TX years ago and found about 1/3 of the cars there had blue-dot lenses. That was the only junkyard I ever saw these lenses in vehicles in these numbers.
    The Blue-Dots have become "legend" so the reality of the matter is lost in the fog of memories and dreams. From all I have read and heard from "old-timers" they were never the norm in car circles, never universally popular throughout the country, and ceased being available sometime around 1957-58. The newest counter display I have ever seen had a 57 Chevy lens as the newest and I have seen counter displays with 40 Fords as the newest and 49 Fords as the newest. 2009 tread..

loudbang, LOU WELLS and catdad49 like this.
  23. I've not seen the blue lights in the windshield. But it's not a good idea having any blue lights facing forwards. Blue dots are not legal. But I've had them on my Hot Rods for 40 years. At one time, years ago a police officer nicely told me that they weren't legal. I gladly took them off for a time. Now days I have them with no problems. I look at it this way. If I get a ticket for the old cool stuff. It's just the price I would pay to play. The police now days love our old Rods, and seem to over look those little things.;) Ron...

Texas57, zzford, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  24. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Going off topic a bit, but a fellow told me a couple years ago that the blue lights in his windshield were called sex lights. I never heard that before.

25. rudestude

rudestude

Marbles worked for me ...of course they are not jewelled ....the ones I used came from spray paint cans ..they are different sizes and colors ...the pic I posted is a example of some I did for a pu years ago..this lens is plastic but I have done glass ones also....you can get jewelled ones in different sizes and art and craft stores that have supplies for doing stained glass stuff..... I have always been curious about the marbles or what ever they are , on some old car tail lights ....what there purpose actually was... I posted some examples from my stash of stuff..........[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]this next one I tried a cracked marble it looked cool but it needed to be darker[​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim_with_a_T, loudbang, czuch and 9 others like this.
  26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

"Going off topic a bit, but a fellow told me a couple years ago that the blue lights in his windshield were called sex lights. I never heard that before."
    Yep, Left lower corner meant you were gay....................................................

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. redo32

redo32

Blue lights in your windshield ? They don't do that around here. What's that about?
    A few years ago Oregon revised their Classic, Antique & Street Rod definitions and licensing. They now allow blue dots.

loudbang and LOU WELLS like this.
  28. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like what you did there RudeStude! Nice work. What is that tail light lens from?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. rudestude

rudestude

Thanks for the good words fourspd2quad....that lens is a old clearance light , saf - t - ray 91 by Dom. Auto from Canada...it's a plastic one I always grab any old glass lens I run across..them green ones in one of the pics I posted I just found ... that plastic one I really like the looks of it when it's on.......Thanks...
    Terry (aka) Rudestude

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  30. oldolds

oldolds

Blue/purple lights in the corner of the windshield are an 18 wheeler thing. I was told they let you see better over the road. I never heard of them as sex lights. I am not a big truck driver, had a few friends that were. Red dome light were called whore lights around here.

upspirate likes this.