Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 Special Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by elmitcheristo, Dec 17, 2017.

1. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

This is a 29 Special Coupe that I picked up locally. Initially the plan was to just sell it and move on to something else. After advertising it and taking it to the swap meet, it got very little interest. So, I decided to revamp it a little.

She was definitely not going to win any beauty contests. I started by adding some '40 wheels with Merc caps. The tires are 700's and 600's. Then I cut out the old cowl section and replaced it with a cherry one. It was actually a pretty simple swap. I cut the subrails at the door and the A pillar right at the dash rail. She is now in the process of getting a 5" haircut and a back window section from a '28-'29 sedan.

NMforddog, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Vanness

Vanness

How was there no interest!?!?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice chop....full fenders to boot....post card perfect...

elmitcheristo likes this.
  4. A Rodder

A Rodder

This is gonna turn out great from looking at your last builds!

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

So I am guessing that you plan on keeping it then. If so, what are your plans for engine, trans etc??

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Check the rear window section before you buy... not sure about model As but a '33-'34 coupe and sedan have different arches across the back... flatter one fits coupe... extra 1/2" or so arch fits sedans...

7. pigfluxer

pigfluxer

Shit,I’m just envious of your work bench.

kadillackid and Stogy like this.
  8. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

At this point, I'm not really sure. My current choices range from a 354 Hemi, a 59AB Flathead or a hopped up banger. I'm probably going to stick with a '39 box, '39 pedals, and a '39 rearend. This is all stuff that I have laying around my shop, it's just a matter of the little parts and pieces to put it all together. If I'm being honest with myself, it will more than likely be the flathead 8 just because that is what I know and have the most of.

I will not be keeping this one. I have got projects stacked up and just enjoy building them more than owning them.

waxhead and Stogy like this.
  9. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

I see what you are saying. It was not quite that severe with the "A". The curve is not noticeable at all and the belt lines all matched up. I did use as much of the original sheet metal as I could and the panel from the sedan was not much wider than the window.

sloppy jalopies likes this.
  10. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Nothing quite like floral print to "class up" the driveway ;)

kadillackid and Stogy like this.
  11. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The stock trim that runs from B pillar around to B pillar is tough to find, as a loophole maybe try this...
    When I was building a '29 cabbie from a sportie I noticed that the sheetmetal's radius that wraps around the rear quarters is very close to the radius of the '30-'31 cowl band... very close, the cowl gets narrower as it moves forward, the band has a larger radius toward the rear edge...
    set the larger radius down onto the quarters and panel above the deck... this lets the tighter radius set against backlight / rear window panel...
    most '30-'31 cowl bands are stainless, but the '30-'31 big trucks had steel bands... you will need [2]... HIH....... steel cowl band pix if needed...

12. trey32

trey32

Ummmmmmm that's fuckin awesome

Vanness likes this.
  13. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

That one took me a bit to process, but I get what you are saying. I am assuming that you were able to come up with 2 AA cowl bands? That would really make a difference. I've been trying to figure out an option for "the missing body line." Thanks for the info!

14. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Dented stainless bands are, well, free... use them to fine tune the thing, where to weld in studs or nuts... steel bands are usually rusted at the bottom [straight] and you will need to cut one end off anyway... spose you could sand blast and etch prime the stainless and paint over it...

15. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

Just a quick update. I’m still hammering away on the body work. Picked up a shrinker/stretcher from HF to finish up some patch panels. And (fingers crossed) tomorrow I will have the drop axle finished up. The jig is about 90% complete. Still need to brace up the perch alignment pin and mount it to the press. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  16. Vanness

Vanness

Keep it rolling... glad nobody bought it lol

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

i see brand new steel / truck cowl bands on EBAY for $55. ea.

18. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

9E462854-0617-4190-B82D-3DD012CC84BA.jpeg
    So, winters in Oregon means constant rain. Ive been working on indoor stuff and getting back to this when I can. The rear fenders were pretty trashed. I walked behind my shop this morning and found a pair of solid (kinda beat but definitely better) fenders that I didn’t even know i had. Got one on today and then slapped on a little paint.

Shadow Creek, Stovebolt and Vanness like this.
  19. Easyspeed

Easyspeed
    from USA

Very cool, I just picked up a 29’ special a few weeks back. Does the sedan rear window fit pretty good? And where did you find plans on an axle drop fixture? I need to make one aswell.

I feel your pain. I swapped a 54’ ht chevy for the solid running driving 29’ special. A lot of guys I talked to say the same thing. Those are pretty rare, thats a nice solid car. You should try to sale or trade it and chop something else up. Put it out there and crickets haha oh well

I have been searching trying to find different looks of the chop, all steel with the trim or put a wrap back on it. I think I like the steel look better. How are you planning to finish the top?