Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Starter wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ponchoguy65, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

So I'm thinking its the wire I have screwed onto the large battery terminal the purple is going to the s terminal as you stated so the other wire is on the bat terminal so should I remove it and wire go from fire wall to hei cap or just leave it on starter and splice in?

2. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Also I have no wire at all right now on my R terminal

rfraze likes this.
  3. I'll tell you how it's supposed to go.
    Then you figure out how to fit in your changes,

I terminal (or R) on the starter goes directly to the coil positive .

You sliped a HEI in so you figure out how to get to that. It will be a splice because you still need the pink one into the hei

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  4. Is there a terminal on the ignition switch that is hot when the key is in both the start and run positions? This would be for the pink HEI wire.

If not, then sounds like 31 Vicky has a good alternate solution.

Phil

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  5. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Okay guys I have 12v at crank!!! Thanks for all the help so any idea why it might still be backfiring? Is it too retarded??

6. I'd start by rechecking the plug wires being in the correct positions in the distributor/ hei.

Phil

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just pondering, when you wired the HEI you didn't happen to wire it for a V8 Pontiac rather than a V8 Chevrolet? Pontiac and Olds in those years are counterclockwise rotation while Chevy is Clockwise.
    I did that on my T bucket when I had the 283 in it because my daily was an Olds Cutlass. Same results as yours some nice backfires until I figured it out.

Ponchoguy65 likes this.
  8. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Okay update the engine starts but doesn't want to climb up in the rpm range it just stays around 500 rpm then I kill it so I don't wear a cam lobe off by letting it run low in the rpm range it also backfires through the carburetor now and no longer backfires the exhaust

9. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

This was part of my problem actually

10. rfraze

rfraze

Pull out #1 plug (dr front), bump starter around til compression blows out plug hole, check for timing mark on balancer and if close to 10 degrees before, pull dist cap and check to see that rotor is pointing towards where wire to #1 would be. If so, check wires clockwise (from 1)8436572 to make sure each wire goes to correct cylinder. Odd numbers dr side, even pass side from front.

11. rfraze

rfraze

Any updates on this?