Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Build or buy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51504bat, Jan 2, 2018.

1. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the problem with buying a finished car from someone you do not know. you find out the handling, brakes and ride sucks, the body is filled with filler over rust, and the wireing needs to be redone. [ the last 4 cars that friends bought at shows and swap meets]

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you already have a good running driving car, I would lean strongly towards building the next one. You have already said that some of your skills are not what they should be; why not use this as an opportunity to sharpen those skills? The mere fact that you are participating in this hobby and this board indicates you are more of a participant than a "Gold Chainer". I can also tell you from experience that it is possible to have too many cars. Once you get beyond two or three, something always gets neglected and just sitting around is the one of the worst things you can do with an old car.

If you have a staff to maintain your fleet or own more than one gold chain, feel free to ignore this advice.

bchctybob likes this.
  3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Only you can answer your own question. From a money point of view, IMO, you can buy cheaper than building, flip side, if you have the skills, time and you NEED to say I built it, Go for it ! My opinion and $2 gets you a coffee where I eat breakfast. I'm sure you have noticed in your group of hot rodder friends, many different types, all experts in their own way.

4. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I traded into mine, it was not 100% the car I had always wanted, but it was real 1940's steel. I wasn't thrilled that it had a SBC, but I knew at some time later I could change that out for a SBF. Even though I had to redo a lot of the previous builders screwups and things that weren't quite right, it still has cost me less so far than what a comparable steel 1940's coupe would have if I had of went out and bought one. And the fact that I probably won't ever park next to another one is just an added bonus.....I'm know around my area as "The guy with the old Lincoln coupe".

5. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

I don't think there is a perfect car. My tastes have changed over the years. Buy something that you think will set a trend. Enjoy it make it your own and sell it. Use your artistic side to make it work for you. You can buy someone else's out of date style and update it. Make some money and get something better.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I traded a motorcycle for a t bucket when I was at Fort Campbell. Drove it all summer and traded it for a pickup when it got cold never felt guilty because I didn't build it. Good deals are out there and if you would rather ride than wrench then go for it.
    I have built a lot of cars and bought a lot of cars, made more money on the one's I bought.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep your eye out for partially finished projects. I have found some that were painted and chassis done and stalled projects due to various reasons. They are out there,especially between New Years and tax time.

8. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Over the years I've kept and built 9 complete cars ( plus another 20 or so cars I've bought and turned) Of the 9---3 were from scratch or somebody else's projects with MAJOR work) 6 were cars I bought and did enough to make them my own. Find what you like AND do enough work to make it your own. ----- Bragging rights included. Bill

9. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

When I decided I would chase my 40 coupe dream my thought was to look for a finished/ stalled project and make it mine from there. To make a long story short that got side tracked when my wife strongly suggested that I should “not settle” and avoid buyers remorse (another story) :(
    I was in the right place at the right time when I found my car and although I didn’t build it I have made the changes to make it my vision and now feel it’s “my” car and known as such.
    I couldn’t be happier. :)

olscrounger likes this.
  10. For me building is more about the process the the credit. If I have the time and don't need a car I would rather build it.
    That said I have owned a couple of cars over the years that were well built long before I ever came along and just needed a little TLC and I liked them real well.

Think about this maybe, if you feel like buying a built car will always make you think that you are driving someone else's car then rather than buying a finished car and making major changes, perhaps you should try a stalled project. Then make whatever changes are necessary and t still miss some of the grunt work.

bchctybob likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

I keep saying I want to buy one done, a driver.
    The last car I bought done was a 10 sec street strip, sat in the garage for a year and was barely driven, never raced, great car, couple shake down runs, I still didnt trust it.

12. LOL I wonder how many fellas cruising the fair grounds in 100K+ of pro built car feel guilty about it. :D :D :D

Seems like I used to buy cars all the time that got rodded as I was driving them. That used to be pretty common actually, you bought an old car and built it as you went.

13. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've built, ground up, a lot of rods and sold them to guys I still see driving them and they still talk to me so I assume they are happy. Look for awhile at what's available. Your likely to find what you want. If not, build your own, but before you start down that road ask yourself two questions: How long did it take you to build your current PU ride and how quickly do you want to be in your new ride?

i.rant likes this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

In California it isn't always easy to title a car built from scratch from parts, so I watched for a car to come up that was titled and had many of the parts I would want on a scratch built car. Sure enough, a car came up that is very close to what I want to end up with - AND it runs and drives fine. So I'm enjoying it until I blow it apart and make it mine.
    I've found I just can't seem to drive someone else's car, I always make changes immediately, even if it's just wheels/tires, exhaust or intake.

olscrounger likes this.
  15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep looking for either a project but I won't say no to the right runner.

16. a. Building a car from scratch is a huge commitment and becomes larger as you progress.
    b. If you find something that appeals to you buy it. You can change what you don't like while you drive and own it.
    c. Be honest with yourself.

Whatever you do be safe.