Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free car build (Inspired by HAMB Andy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake_Lancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Thanks for the tip! I was just writing on the baggies before but I’ll make sure to put note cards in them

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. RMONTY

RMONTY

Jake how far are you from Belleville Illinois?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

About 40-45 minutes away, why?

4. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

Dammit!! I can’t top the donation of a Hemi. I can’t even come close haha. But I know every little bit counts. I sent a few bucks via PayPal. I hope it helps. Pls let me if i did it correctly.

Congrats on the Hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stogy and kiwijeff like this.
  5. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

I have received it, Thank you so much!

6. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Hello everyone, over the past week, I have been taking apart the 331 hemi that was gifted to me. I’ve found out a few things along the way. One was that the heads are extremely heavy on Hemis! I also discovered a ridge from the pistons. I’m not sure how much of a ridge is acceptable to still run it, but I think I’ll have some machine work done and buy new pistons. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone in the St. Louis area that can do some decent machine work for a low price? I’ve been looking at Morley performance, if anyone knows a good place in St. Louis, let me know!
    Thanks,
    Jake

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Squablow great tech tip...;)

@Jake_Lancer good job and keep on smiling...;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If the ridge isn't too bad you can just use a ridge reamer and rering it.

kiwijeff, RockinRivi, AndersF and 3 others like this.
  9. AndersF

AndersF

What i was to say to.

kiwijeff and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. We use Morley performance for all of our engine work. I can talk to Johnny there to see if he can cut you a deal.

11. Wow! Can't believe I didn't meet you in person. I did meet John right as you all were taking off after lunch. We even talked about you getting the car... Hope I can catch you next year or sometime between now and then.

12. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Hello everyone. First of all, I’d like to say I am very sorry that I have not been posting. Wrestling has started up, I was elected senior patrol leader for Boy Scouts, and I’ve been kind of busy. So I haven’t had much time to work on my car, but this thing came in the mail this weekend, and I have got to say it is awesome! It is a shop manual and it is actually still in the shipping box that it was originally in. The date on the box is January 1952. I will definitely use this as much as I can.
    On another note, I’m saving up some money so I should be able to get some machine work done on the 331 hemi pretty soon. I haven’t stopped working on my car or lost interest, I’ve just hit a little bit of a road block and I will do whatever I can.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6inarow, catdad49, ROCKER77 and 15 others like this.
  13. These Chryslers' look great with factory Wire Wheels black paint and lowered all the way around; pipes with glass packs. seats look good enough to re do, that's all you need.

14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Some curved rear glass went out to you today

15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

[​IMG]from the vintage under construction thread

Hombre, ROCKER77, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  16. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

I have received the glass and I went to check it out today,thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Jake;
    Dick is correct on 'the remove the ridge n re-ring it n call it good'. For a low-buck rebuild, that'll work fine. If the machinist(s) feel that there is too much piston wall clearance, the way they used to take that up, is to knurl the piston (skirts). May not be right for a top-$$$ build, nitro, or a million mile mill, but for a decent (esp low-buck. Notice I didn't suggest shoddy!) rebuild, & will work fine. Most mills back in the day got this done to them, if a rebore either wasn't needed, or couldn't be afforded. & usually, only the piston(s) that actually needed the work got done. No, it isn't 'perfect' blueprinting, but it is acceptable. As long as you know the limitations.. & done right, it will give you years of good service. Glad to see you're getting this one done. It'll be nice. Marcus...

18. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Mcmopar, what year is the 331, if you know? I bought some older ignition parts at an estate sale a couple weeks ago, but not sure if they go that old.

19. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Jake, I finally got the timing chain set packaged up. its going out Monday. USPS sorry for the delay. Have a good holiday season....

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  20. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Jake-

I saved a mid 50's Chrysler Windsor from the crusher her a few years back. I'm not a Chrysler guy so I don't have a clue what parts would interchange with your 52'. I will take and post a few pictures later today. Maybe there is something you could use.

Best of luck-

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, slim38 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  21. 49clubcoupe

49clubcoupe
    from idaho

Its a bit newer than I thought, 55' I think.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I hope it gets enjoyed by the young man building it! And that he drives the wheels off of it and has as a big of a blast in it as a young man should.

23. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

uhmmm, I think you guys need to go back to the origin of this thread, how it was decided to give the car away to begin with, in the spirit of what happened here during that time, and even the involvement of Andy's family. But I'm just a newcomer around here, I wasn't here during the HAMB Andy build, I'm obviously not as close to it as some or most of you are. I just think you've probably killed the whole thing here though. We'll see, but I suspect interest in this whole project is going to dry up now.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

OK guys... I cleaned up this thread to remove all of the back and forth on direction, reasoning, charities, etc... I did this in an effort to keep this thread clean and the project moving forward.

A quick run down on what went down:

1. A number of folks were confused as to how this project was benefitting HAMB Andy's charities. A few had even donated money already I guess...

2. I went back and read the entire thread after the concerns were brought to my attention and found that it wasn't communicated entirely that this build is benefitting a young man that is very enthusiastic about hot rodding and it is not literally honoring Andy's charities.

After doing so, it became very clear that there was no ill intent here at all. It was just a misunderstanding.

3. Given that, I went back and cleared up all of this communication and made it clear what this project was all about.

4. And now, I have deleted all of that correspondence to keep this thread clean and the focus on the build... not the adults trying to mess things up.

So, that's that... If you have any other concerns, feel free to send me a private convo.

BACK TO THE BUILD!

25. GreaserJosh13

GreaserJosh13
    from Chino

Great job Ryan. Awesome way of handling the situation.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Andy would have been 22 this year. Same age as my younger son who is now a chef. Courts54 is now 24 and 2 classes short of his bachelors in Manufacturing Engineering. A shame Andy went so young. I am proud to have been part of that thread.

I don't have any Mopar parts but will keep my eyes open. I may have some tuck and roll samples from Rdstr31 when I cleaned out his garage. It's time to clean out MY garage now so who knows what I'll find! Keep up the good work.

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I believe it was a 1955 331

28. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Thanks! I’ll let you know when it arrives!

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  29. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

Hello everybody, I hope everyone had a happy holiday and a happy new year! I just have an update on my car. I have saved some money up and I should be able to work on the engine again soon.
    On another note, I got my license today, so I will be able to drive more. Hopefully in the summer I will be able to drive my 52 Chrysler Windsor.
    Thanks,
    Jake

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

30. Congratulations on getting your license! Glad to see you are still working towards completing the project. Happy New Year to you too! Hobo Jim

dickster27 and chryslerfan55 like this.