Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Open vs Closed Champ side bells

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven007, Dec 28, 2017.

1. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

Is the bearing width, inside to inside, the same on a closed axle and an open axle Champ axle? I am kind of just kicking around some ideas. (okay i have been hanging out on the various sites devoted to Miller race cars too much)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't think so. What are you trying to do?

3. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

Use a sprint car center housing and side bells with a differential and half shafts ala miller/810 cord.

4. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

I should say, I want to use one of these so I can use the flat flange to accept a backing plate or something (bearing retainer) mounted around the output.

Attached Files:

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I don't have any open tube side bells at the moment. I think you could make spacers to adapt to 368 bearings. I would have to look deeper into the spacing but I think it can be done.

You got a lathe?

6. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

I have a 9" lathe and access to a bridgeport size mill. Haven't finished fixing my van Norman yet. :)

My thought was if it would fit in width wise, I can handle everything else.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Raven,

Here is a link that describes a modification I did to adapt Winters Side plates to a Halibrand center.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...and-winters-quickchange.993472/#post-11191994

The plates are different than the ones you posted but the bearings are the same. I can get you a dimension of the narrowest differential I have ever made and what the distance between the bearing pockets would have to be. Might be a couple of days before I can put it all together. But the info provided will give you something to think about.

8. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

Wow. A lot of good info there. Thank you!

I was planning to run a 31 spline differential. That allows me to possibly use an off the shelf axle stub. Unsure how to approach the double cardan at the wheel end. I don't really want to use a modern CV.

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. raven007

raven007
    from Georgia

Nice. I am guessing waaaay more than I could ever afford. The measurements are good to have though.