Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 3W Coupe Lakes Racer-Thrash for TROG West

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by So-cal Tex, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Just like my 4 speed Harley. I will out run anyone until they hit 5 gear. Put a real Henry trans in that little 276 er and we really get it on. I'm not afraid of a t5 trans. They didn't have those in the late forties so..... No matter what two badass hotrods running next to each other is all that matters.

2. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

The T-5 is really the only non traditional part of this car and it does bother me because I have '39 boxes in the Model A coupe and my '32 Roadster ,the only reason I decided to sue it was this car was built to be driven and the Flatheads love the ratios and overdrive of a T-5...........to make it fair I will start in second and not use 5th so it will be 3spd vs 3spd.....LOL...........it is gonna be awesome when these two cars line up at El Mirage.

bonesy likes this.
  3. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

Man that car is really badass. Like every thing about it. Good luck with it.

4. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

UPDATE 12-11-17......Well I got my flathead back from Wayne and he got it all dialed in on the test stand and the tuned the Stromberg 48 carbs, I had the S-10 T-5 resealed and mounted it to the engine last weekend so Saturday I went ahead and stabbed it in the coupe with the help of a neighbor, unfortunately I ran into an issue with the rear transmission mounting holes that were drilled for the SBC when the frame was originally built were too far forward by like 2 inches, so I have to re drill them further back and build an adapter plate because they would be right where my rear '36 wishbones forward mounting tabs are, apparently the flathead/T-5 combo is actually longer than an SBC and there are no adjustment holes like the hurst saddle mount had ,no big deal just takes more time.... IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

5. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks El Roach.........................I bought this used 3" chopped 4 core Walker 32 radiator for $300 for my 2 inch channeled coupe when it was going to be SBC powered a few years ago so just I had it converted to dual inlets and outlets for the mighty 276 ci Mercury Flathead.............the only bad part is the delivery girl dropped it and dented the top tank so it is back to the radiator shop to fix their mistake. IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0647.JPG

7. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

UPDATE 12-18-17: Spent Saturday building an 3" x 4" adapter plate that relocated the transmission mounting holes forward to the original mounting location, IMG_0650.JPG I then centered the transmission in the X-member and re drilled the holes, bolted it up with grade 8 bolts so the engine is officially in place...WOO!! HOO!!.... so then I fabbed up some basic radiator mounts to locate the radiator in the proper place to run a louvered full hood which is a must. IMG_0665.JPG so you ask why did you need to do this ??? Well here is the why behind it, First my Walker radiator is chopped 3" and my car is only channeled an 1 1/2", also since my chassis was originally built for '60's style SBC powered hot rod with no hood we lengthened the wheelbase by inches to 108" to give us some radiator clearance which I think looks better on fender less Deuce, so my problem was I needed to fab some mounts that raises the radiator 1 1/2 " taller and that moves the radiator back 2 inches so the stock hood will fit which is a must on my car.
    IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0668.JPG

8. Sorry but that's an illegal transmission here on the Hamb. Please remove pictures. Those arnt even allowed in trog or rpm nats. Come on man read the rules... Traditional parts only. :rolleyes: See you in May you outlaw!!

spurgeonforge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I got this a few Christmas’s ago for my son. I took the fenders off before I even wrapped it. I’ve been meaning to lower and paint it since. This morning he was picking out school clothes and I looked up and it hit me. It needs a reverse chop and mild channel. Maybe some black and #36?
    Yes I know it’s a 5w, didn’t say it’d be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Bruce, So basically you are telling me no one will like my car because of the illegal 5-spd transmission and I should go hang out on a street Rodders forum instead?...............You know outlaws don't follow the rules anyways :D......its on in MAY!!

11. So cool. Can't wait to see this on the road. Keep the updates coming.

12. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

HAPPY NEW YEAR UPDATES......Well I decided to stop ignoring my family and take a little time off between Christmas and New Years but I did sneak out to the shop to get some work done. First thing is the lower water neck connection on the radiator needed to be angled down to clear the water pump belt IMG_0671.JPG so I dropped it back off at the Radiator shop and had them tilt the lower connections 25 degrees down which did the trick. So I uses a set of 49' Ford car lower hoses 8BA style that I cut down dramatically to make the connection and they worked great and even had the FOMOCO logo on them so they look better too.... IMG_0712 (003).JPG
    Then I decided to clear my headlight bar in satin and run it in the bare metal look since I am not ready for chrome or nickel plating IMG_0683.JPG

I also mounted my new Bee Hive oil filter on the firewall, then I installed the upper hoses, grill shell and mounted my headlight bar with stainless hardware IMG_0678.JPG IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0721.JPG

13. bonesy

bonesy

Wow! That's sure looking great.

14. Jake Sippl

Jake Sippl
    from Detroit MI

Love this build! Watching for sure! Can't wait to see how it turns out

15. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Scott!.......little by little it is coming together. I am hoping to be driving it in April.

16. I love it. Keep adding all the thick steel and big ol headlights to that over weight pig.... Happy new year!!!!
    May is coming quick well slow for you!:eek::eek::eek::D

17. No fuel pressure regulator? Also do you have all the correct draft tubes so the crankcase can breath. I see it's an 8ba with early heads. Just thinking out loud. Car is looking killer. I can't wait to see it in my rear view mirror. Lol

18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Bruce, The carbs are 48 Strombergs and I was told they don't need a fuel pressure regulator like the 97 need. So far on the test stand it ran great without a regulator so ???, also the crankcase is vented with a PVC valve that I used in the original road draft tube hole on the intake............yes May is coming soon so charge your 6 volt battery because I don't want to hear any excuses out of you:cool:

Runnin shine likes this.
  19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Car looks great, really killer, but I think you'll be disqualified at the TROG not only for the T-5, PCV valve and for the use of Stainless bolts. When the purists find out you'll be in Street Rodder Jail. Just Kidding.

20. @krylon32 don't forget about that alternator sbc fan on the generator. My 48s don't like anything more than 2-1/2 lbs. starts to push fuel out the pumps on top. It's looking killer so keep hustling. There should be a bunch of outlaw cars the day it all gos down. I know of about 30 so far and if birdog comes with his hot iron speed crew even more. Can't say too much about it. Other than it's going town out of town.

21. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Weekend Updates: Well I got some work done in the shop on Saturday, first order was to get a throttle pedal linkage set up for my coupe. So I found two '32 V8 pedals from a HAMBER ( thanks Bill!!) on the east coast and decided to modify the one with East Coast acne ( rust pits) IMG_0780.JPG

Since the original firewall in my car came from a heavily channeled car it locates the stock throttle linkage mounting position much higher, so I needed about 5 inches additional pedal length, so I cut the spoon off the original one and cannibalized another $10 swap meet spoon pedal to make a longer version IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG IMG_0786 (003).JPG
    , I also had to cut and rotate the throttle pull to pull from the outside instead of the factory inside position to work with my 2x2 linkage. Here is the finished product that looks and works well IMG_0796.JPG IMG_0799.JPG IMG_0808.JPG

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Runnin shine and MR CLEAN like this.
  22. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Next on the list was to fab up a simple ( KISS right?) coil mount bracket from 3/4 in wide flat stock, couple of bends and drill a few holes and presto! Please ignore the chrome coil it was for mock up the new black one is shown on the last picture. IMG_0800.JPG IMG_0801.JPG IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0807.JPG

23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Tex, Bruce is totally messing with you! It’s pretty clear he loves your car and quite frankly wishes it was his I’m sure. That’s why he’s always on your thread. It is a throwback man’s attempt at telling you “good job, I admire what you do, can we be pals and hang some time?” Much like the misplaced attempts friends and or circles navigated before growing up and having some self-introspection, we(shamefully myself included) would sometimes say... “later homo” to a good male friend or even family member when we really meant I love and will miss you buddy. I’ve seen this millions of times if anyone is appalled or is in denial. It may be reflective of the generation or tax bracket I came from but it’s out there. Thankfully some of us get our shit together and become better humans.
    I love you buddy, gonna miss you and your car, even it’s shortcomings, T-5 included
    Later, Wyatt

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Yeah, I know Bruce is just ribbing me and we give each other shit all the time and that is fine but some others have been throwing hate at me over the 5spd so I was just venting my frustration at those that don't appreciate the effort it takes to build car with mostly original Henry parts and choose to dwell on the little compromises I made for drivability.............I am over it........moving on..........next up is heating bending original '40 round back spindles now that they have been re-bushed by Steve at Industrial Chassis.

Runnin shine likes this.
  25. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Last Weekend Update: so this is what I got done last weekend while I am waiting on my Round back Spindles to get dropped by Okie Joe, First order of business was to get the brake pedal heated-bended over to create more room between the clutch pedal and brake pedal as well as split the pedals on either side equal to the column so it looks good, IMG_0862.JPG so while I had the torches out I decided to heat a bend the shift I am sacrificing to use on my T-5, I wanted a shifter length that is manageable ( no silly Ed Roth tall shifters in this lakes car) in the seated position as well as one that looks like a stock early ford swan neck shifter, IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0864.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG IMG_0868.JPG Tacked it in place first then test fit before final welding , Shifter fits perfectly and is easy to shift through all the gears from a comfortable seated position and the then added the original black V8 shift knob. Next,I painted the dash gloss black and installed my new SW wings gauges and the '32 gauge cluster trim..... IMG_0896.JPG
    Push button starter too.......just like an early Ford should have.
    IMG_0893.JPG

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    brEad, Runnin shine and chop job like this.
  26. This is perfect, just the way I would dream to do it.

27. Tex, I also have a T5 in my real deal 32 3 window plus a 327 365 HP motor and get a lot of shit about this, but it's my hot rod and I drive the wheels off of it. (over 20k miles in 2 summers) So I say to everyone that does not like it. I don't really care what you think of my hot rod! I like it.......
    So do it the way you want and drive it like you stole it.

Runnin shine likes this.
  28. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Thanks Mayor Dennis, you are right I built this car to drive and the way I want it..............hope to see you on the road to Bonneville with the Bones crew soon!

Runnin shine likes this.
  29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Small update from last weekend..............I got my original Round back spindles that Okie joe dropped for me and I had clearance issues as you can see IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    which is not his fault because this axle was dropped by Anson and he tried to drop the spindles without the axle ( already installed in the car) so I had to send them back to be tweeked, so while I am waiting on him to add some drop to the spindles I installed the engine and transmission in my other '32 Roadster chassis I have been working on.
    IMG_0933.JPG

Then last night I got this USA made 2 position ignition switch that I can use with 1940 style push button starter button off ebay which is really cool, Cole Hersee branch made in Boston, its a brass one that is used on boats but has a very vintage look and the key is even retro looking
    IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0955.JPG

Then I installed this cool art deco headlight switch I got from Mr. Dash on ebay that I think looks great in the car and fits the build style
    IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0958.JPG

Runnin shine and slv63 like this.
  30. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

More minor updates from last weekend, I finally got my dropped original spindles back from Okie Joe where this time he put a deep drop on them and they fit great and only required minimal adjustment to ft.
    IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1015.JPG

So after 2 months on jacks stands I got the front end back together and she is a roller again, next up is build the left side custom header to clear the '39 Merc cross steering box.....stay tuned...
    IMG_1016.JPG

I put 1/2 inch of toe in the front tires and she is ready to roll straight!
    IMG_1019.JPG