Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Grabowski shift knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sober1, Jan 1, 2018.

?
  1. Sell it

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  2. Keep it and use it.

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  1. I'm on the fence about selling my Norm knob so i can buy my next project. My dilemma is this, they are a one of a kind hand made treasure by an icon and they will never be made again. On the other hand it has been sitting on it's crown royal bag on a shelf since i got it in 2011. So what do you guys think, sell it to partially pay for this project or keep a piece of history that i'll most likely never be able to get my hands on again?

Attached Files:

catdad49, Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. bonesy

bonesy

I dig it.

Personally I've been seeking or giving away stuff I'm just sitting on. If it's not bringing you joy, I'd move it down the road for something that will.

Outback, scotty t, jim snow and 5 others like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm an artist and I find those pretty darn creepy but its art and its a subjective thing...if it was mine I'd let it go. It is cool having something done by a iconic figure so good luck with it either way.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Fordor Ron, slv63 and sober1 like this.
  4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Living in Arkansas, I was blessed to visit with Norm a bunch of times. He always had time to talk to anyone for as long as they wanted. I have pictures with him. But no shift knob. I wish I did. Keep it.

5. BJR

BJR

What is kind of money is a Norm knob worth, when you say you can partially pay for a project?

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can anyone explain the creepy head thing...it sort of reminds me of the Ratfink stuff...is there a connection. Hotrods and horror movies...maybe...It wasn't my era I was in diapers when this stuff was going on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I asked Norm about a knob he had on the Kookie kar when it (and he) were on tour thru San Jose, CA. They were in the showroom of Normandin's Chrysler for a week, I believe. My friend John Lyons and I tooled down there in the shiny black channeled '30 A-V8 coupe. Norm came outside to look it over...
    We went in to scope out the Sunset Strip star, and I asked Norm about the gearshift knob on it. (???)
    It was Natasha Badenoff, neck and head, just great! (Rocky & Bullwinkle show)
    Knob was about 2" wide by 5" tall, just so cool! Sat on the '39 cane like a beer tap handle, only way cooler.
    The bleeding skull had been moved behind the 'A' spring, under the bed, 'looking back'...
    I asked Norm a coupla years later about the Natasha knob, he said "I dunno, it's on some car around here..."
    Yeah, I started carving my own...(2" X 2" X 5" piece of basswood, carves nice.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @sober1 any history on when Norm created this piece...was it numbered...signed...did you meet Norm...just curious?

10. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

I found out about these shortly after Norm passed away. I figured I'd never get one until one day one popped up on CL down outside Eugene (I see you're from Oregon). I was in school and probably should have spent the money on something a little more practical, but I jumped at the chance. That was in 2013......no regrets yet. Like you, though, mine just sits in a display case staring at me until I get my car done. Either way, thanks for sharing!

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So Mike I remember a White head near the rear end of the T in those popular shots near the hoist. I didn't realize that was a shifter knob...was that the Natasha head you talk of and I never realized that was who it was related to. I
    used to watch that show as a kid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://johnstraub.blogspot.ca/2012/02/t-bucket-it-had-kids-dreaming.html

Just a little more Norm familiarization...

And one more Norm Shifter Knob thread...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/norm-skulls.328938/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
  12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I thought the guy (?, on the tip of my tounge) who built the clone had to locate one(shift knob), said that was the hardest part of the car to find. The original shift knob on his T came from Disney Land or Disney World, which ever is the one in California.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its in the video youtube link in post above Stan...Von Franco and it seems Norm switched out Knobs regularly which is no surprise...

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is a scan from Street Rodder when they featured the car in Milestones. They used Franco`s car for the shoot. Scan0566.jpg

15. I actually don't have any history on it. This knob was the grand prize in a raffle at the Rose City Roundup put on by the Driven Dead C.C in Portland Or. I bought an arms length of tickets and winner winner chicken dinner.

Stogy and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Keep it man, I have one too that I bought from Norm at Starbirds show in Tulsa. I turned down 5 grand for it recently. If you sell it, once the money is gone, its gone. You can own that bitchin one of a kind shift knob forever. And it will have a story.... a lot of times it's all about the story

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can't drive a knob however the funds may put 4 wheels with history under your ass...so there is many ways to look at it.

Will whats under your butt with the money be ready to go...not likely but you'll be closer to something rolling.

The shifter will be going to someone who appreciates it and that matters too and that in no way is suggesting that the OP doesn't also appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    INVISIBLEKID and sober1 like this.
  18. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

If you’re enjoying it, keep it. You can always get more money. If you’re not enjoying it, just storing it because it’s valuable, sell it and use the money for something you enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55, Vanness and Stogy like this.
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I will never sell mine..Norm was a pal to me. It's a piece of history.

20. Thank you guys for all these responses and memories, they're awesome. It would have been cool to meet him like some of you did. I'm less on the fence about letting it go now. I think i should probably let someone else enjoy this piece while i enjoy the new project. Thanks for helping me work this out, it was like therapy lol.

21. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

its a piece of history but if i saw a cool next project id sell it for as much as i could and buy the project , happiness is subjective , what will you get more joy out of in the time you are alive , when you are gone it will just be another object some one else becomes the temporary caretaker of

sober1 likes this.
  22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Sell it.
    You have had the joy of owning it, and if you use it, in this day and age, some dumb ass would probably steal it anyway...
    Good luck, and JMHO
    Cheers

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If I had one, I'd keep it.

24. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I met Norm at Detroit Autorama one year. Man, what a guy! I'll prolly never own one of his shift knobs but I do have a collection of signed Ed Roth stuff. I'll take that to my grave.

chryslerfan55 and sober1 like this.
  25. WWND? (What Would Norman Do?) I'll bet he'd laugh and say sell that silly thing and put some wheels under you. You ain't gonna live forever.

26. i think it is ugly and would keep it in the bag but i WOULD KEEP it and sell it when i REALLY needed the money.

chryslerfan55 and dan31 like this.
  27. WWND This wins.

catdad49 likes this.
  28. So I finally did it. The Norm knob is officially on flea bay so it can make its way down the road to its next lucky owner. I wanted to thank all of you again for your input and voting on the poll. A deal was made on the car and it should be tearing up the streets of the Pacific Northwest by spring 2019. Man i love this sport LOL. Have a great weekend everyone.

29. Vanness

Vanness

I’ve been following. 1975 I know you want more. Makes me want to sell my stuff to get my shit in order... good luck.

sober1 likes this.
  30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I saw that one for 1975.00. It doesn't look anything like the one posted at the top of the page here. I could only find one of Norms knobs on ebay. I think it is a different one

chryslerfan55 and Scooterville like this.