Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Radiator Recommendation

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Falkengeist, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Falkengeist

Falkengeist

I just installed a small block Chevy in my 41 Ford truck. Does anyone have a radiator recommendation? I used Walker in the past, and they sold me a universal fan shroud for my Model A that didn't work. I talked with them about it and they're the ones that said it wouldn't work - stock pump location or with a riser. They wouldn't give me my money back since I had drilled the 4 small holes to mount it where the directions suggested. They were not very customer friendly, consequently I'm reluctant to use them again.. Brassworks is pretty expensive for radiator and shroud, and they don't stock anything.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

US Radiator AKA Cool Craft in Los Angeles have always been good and fair with me. Good Luck..

hfh likes this.
  3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

We have been useing '62ish ford 6 cyl. pick up radiators... must trim off most of the mounting flanges... fits in a '28 A shell, a little of the top tank shows [we use 4' x 2' florescent light defusers] trimmed to fit, painted flat black...
    pre- '70 ford and sbc port alignment... $126.00 to $154.00 depends on your radiator shop or supplier... DSCN1071.JPG
    defuser panel will fill 2 shells, $13 at lowes...
    . DSCN1073.JPG

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. deucemac

deucemac

5. [QUOTE="US Radiator AKA Cool Craft in Los Angeles have always been good and fair with me. Good Luck..[/QUOTE]
    I repeat this quote..use them all the time..

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Custom Auto Radiator builds very nice copper/brass radiators and will work with you on mods or changes needed.

Frank Carey likes this.
  7. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

27 years and 72k miles on my Griffin. And I'm running sbc 400. These have a reputation for running hot. No problems.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. buck 32

buck 32
    from Maryland

Using a walker in the wifes 41 ford pick up. 327 sbc. Never gets above 180

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used them also on my 32 & 31 they are in N.J., they did a good job for me.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

These guys are close to me, and do great work. Will build it exactly to your specs! Core number and type, trans cooler or not, temp sensor bung, etc.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Walker 10 year warranty. 20 years in my 46 Ford and going strong.

Gary

12. Take a look at Ron Davis radiators. Trust me you’ll be impressed. He built one for my 61 Chevy Nomad. He sent me three dimensional drawings with all measurements and the fan shroud was suberb!

13. Buddy Griffin was a super nice guy and the owner of Griffin radiators and he built me one of the very first street rod radiators for my 1939 Ford convertible when he was in Townville,South Carolina when he was building radiators for nascar,that was in the early 80's and it was a piece of junk,

It would never cool the car when sitting at a red light even in the cooler months.

I tried everything Buddy suggested but nothing worked.

I called Buddy when I got home from the first out of town show and told him my problem, he said take it out and bring it to him.
    He threw the radiator on the band saw and cut it where the cooling fins attached to the tanks and found more than half the cooling tubes were clogged with epoxy.

He offered to make me a new one but I passed,he gave me a refund to the penny and I bought a Walker.

In the past I used Babb,U.S.Radiator & Superior,I have been building hot rods for more than 45 years and I have been using Walker radiators ever since I used the Griffin.

I bought my first Walker in 1988 and installed it in my 1932 beater and it's still doing the job to this day (30 years) and I used a Walker in the Ranch Wagon in 2012,nether car ever runs hot and both use a mechanical fan without a shroud.

I prefer the traditional copper/brass construction,yeah they do cost more but walker offers a 10 year warranty and my peace of mind is well worth the cost,especially if you plan on keeping the car. HRP

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

^^^^^^ this. Located in Gadsden AL.

anthony myrick likes this.
  15. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I have Walker in my 1st '55 PU w/condenser & '34 Roadster - never a problem - always cool.

16. rwrj

rwrj
    from SW Ga

I like that insert idea.

17. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Walker for me also.Even though you had poor service before there product is worth every penny.

18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

19. papajohn

papajohn