Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hambers advice (Rocket Science)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nochop, Dec 31, 2017.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Not bad for $150. Sheckles....
    Better nab it before someone else does....;)

3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m not sure of the fit on a 324

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

something in the back of my mind says that 57 manifold does not fit a 1954 324.................I could be wrong

nochop likes this.

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Should be the rochester 2g carbs if im not mistaken

6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’m kinda thinking that to, off to the search button, btw happy New Year

7. won't fit a 324. angle is wrong. can be machined or spacers used. lots of threads relating to this on here.

nochop likes this.
  8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There is an even cheaper one on the same site that includes the thermostat housing...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Angle is the same, but will need to be machined approx. .125, as the 371 had a taller deck height. Will also need to do a little port matching, as the later intake runners are slightly larger.

nochop and Paul like this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks all, scrap that one, I thought I read that. So on to new Carb business, I’m building a 324 to replace the sbc in my coupe. I’m building it for looks an sound, not a Ross ground pounder hence the 3-2 setup. Found a Edelbrock on the HAMB classifieds but the price of the carbs (New) kind of made me think. I have a 2-4 set already with one carb, the Edelbrock off my sbc. Question, would that carb work as my primary and Would that matching carb set up as a secondary work as well? I am unsure of the cfm of my carb now, but is a bullet proof carb on a very mild and well used 350/350. Thanks for wisdom of the hamb

11. carbking

carbking

Not saying it cannot be made to work, but:

Homework:

(1) Original Carter aftermarket carbs were primarily set-up for small block Chevy, have posted this, and the reasons before (or call if you want more info and cannot find the post).
    (2) Oldsmobile was the only GM passenger division to not have a factory Carter AFB at one time or another.
    (3) The fuel demand curve for Oldsmobile engines is very close to the fuel demand curve for Buick engines of approximately the same displacement.
    (4) The original Carter AFB aftermarket carbs required MAJOR changes including parts no longer available new to perform well on street Buick engines. One would think the same would be true to approximate the fuel delivery curve for the Olds.

Suggestion: determine the carburetor footprint for your 2x4 intake, and then more homework to find 2 matching carbs with an Oldsmobile fuel delivery curve that will fit the intake without adapters, or at least two that can be inexpensively converted.

And read the second line in my signature!!!!!

Jon.

12. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks Jon just the info I need.... carbs are a bit out of my wheel house but with some pointers I can figure it out,

13. AssGasket

AssGasket

I tracked down an Offenhauser OL396 3x2 intake that fits the 303/324. It came with three rebuildable 94’s that, according to what I’ve read on here, should work out just fine on my 303. (Although I’m still not sure exactly where to start with jets...). Are you set on using a Rochester, or are you ok with a three-bolt carb? The Offy intakes are around for reasonable prices. If you decide on the 4-bolt Rochesters, I believe you’ll need a 2GC for the center carb, and two 2G’s for secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks, Not set on anything yet exploring options, I like The 3-2 set up for looks and the offy is probably the best way with New after market 94 carbs ($$$$$yikes)

15. AssGasket

AssGasket

There’s so many decent and affordable cores out there that you might want to save some money by rebuilding three. The 94’s aren’t very complex. Just make sure that the throttle rod and plates aren’t worn and leaking, especially on the secondaries.

nochop likes this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

That’s another route got motivated........

17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Anybody explain the difference from the Edelbrock 94 and the Stromberg 97?

18. carbking

carbking

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks so much, I have been doing my homework as you suggested, and am getting a clearer picture, the fun has yet to begin, Thanks,W

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What 4g Rochester core should I be looking for to be a suitable candidate for your company to rebuild for me? 324 with 10 heads

21. AssGasket

AssGasket

Check the for sale section. Yankee mike just posted about 20 rebuildable Holley 94’s at $25 a piece. I recently bought a pair of 97’s from him, and they were in awesome shape. If I were you, I would order four and pick the best parts to make three carbs for your setup. Tight throttle shaft bores are a bonus, but most places sell oversized shafts, so you can work around some wear without having air leaks.

22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Changed my tactics, picked up a correct 4bbl Rochester off a working 324. I will use that to get my rocket running and dialed in (advice from carbking). Then build the tripower set up. Somehow I ended up with 2 offy manifolds drilled for 94’s (go figure). More fun, thanks all

AssGasket likes this.
  23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Gasket , sounds good

24. AssGasket

AssGasket

That’s a good way to do it. Along the same lines, I’m going to run a single 94 with block-off plates before I bolt on the secondary carbs.

nochop likes this.