Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '34 Chevy Master 3W coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GroundAssault, Dec 31, 2017.

1. I just picked this Chevy coupe up and I'm getting ready to start the body work. I'm not seeing reproduction sheet metal right off for the 33-34 chevy coupes.
    Does anyone know of a source for reproduction floors for these Chevy coupes? I know the original was wood. I'm wondering if a 34 Ford 3W coupe floor would be close enough to make work if there is not a repop available.

Attached Files:

2. Latigo

Latigo

Can't answer your question but a very nice find. Had one years ago. Wish I still had it. Good luck with the build.

3. Body looks to be in good shape. I had to make my own floors for my 33. Nobody that I know of repops Chevy floors.

4. gasser57!

gasser57!

Direct Sheetmetal at directsheetmetal.com will fabricate to your specs and are very reasonably priced. Nice car.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I have had 34 Chevy's my who life and you will find very little ropop sheet metal. They are making steel running board for them, maybe some universal front floor pans that might fit with some fab work. Most every other body part are fiberglass

6. Thanks for the reply's. I'll give direct sheet metal a call Tuesday.
    As I make progress, I'll post up what it's looking like. Fortunately I don't have a lot of body work to do. Floors and filler panel below trunk are the biggest challenge on this car. Doors and cowl are pretty much perfect. Deck lid needs a little love, but not much.
    I do have an extra deck lid if someone needs one. It's not perfect, but certainly fixable and worth having.

7. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

You are going to have to make subrails first and figure out a way to fasten the the body to the frame first then you can lay your flat sheet metal down

I would start with making the A pillar rigid hanging the doors and making sure the door fits in the hole and beltlines match up and body is somewhat square weld doors shut in place temporarily , set on frame , build your subrails , mount body, then you can cut doors loose and start on your floor

8. Did you get the door sills with the body ???
    A very tough couple of pieces to find 20150811_215444.jpg

biggeorge and loudbang like this.
  9. eberhama

eberhama

I think that's a standard. Master rear fender bolts point in towards the center of the body. Standard fender bolts point "up" for the lack of a better word. I could use a deck lid, got any pics? Any pics of the dash and deck lid for this car?

10. 28rpu

28rpu

'34-35 standards were 3 windows. '34 masters were 5 window.

loudbang likes this.
  11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

They indeed did make a master 3W.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. TomH

TomH

It's a master, the firewall has more of a recess for the motor to set back when they are a std.

loudbang likes this.
  13. TomH

TomH

Are you using a truck hood on your project?

14. Mine is a canadian 33 master 3 window .
    This is the proper hood for canadian cars.
    Ground assaults car is a 34 master !!!

GroundAssault likes this.
  15. Eberhama , got it backwards there bud !!!
    Master rear fenders bolt through the top of the wheel well and standards bolt through the side of the wheel well

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I like it ,I like it ,subscribed,good luck with the build.

17. That sounds like a great plan of attack Thirtytwo.

I'm considering using a Purlin (C channel from a steel building) and cutting it in half lengthways. Then I'll weld it to the inside of the body. I'm thinking this will give me a good solid structure for channeling the body over the frame.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I've done two 32s , what I found easiest was to use 3/4 sq tube 18ga.. might have been 16 ga , use that going on the outer parameter of body , that gives you something for the rockers cowl and quarters to fasten to, then you take some 14ga- 1/8th and run that on the frame top and bolt it down then connect the two

If you study how a 32 ford subrails are it's basically copying that, I may have pics somewhere

GroundAssault and loudbang like this.
  19. eberhama

eberhama

Oops, my bad, been a while since I messed with a chevy. I took a master 4 door, and added modified standard 2 door sedan doors, and a standard 3 window back half. I used the master rear wheel wells and enlarged the trunk opening to accept a master decklid. I got in a cash crunch and sold it, but I have another mess of a '35 standard I'd like to get together. 34chev.jpg

20. killbilly

killbilly

Man I could use that deck,lid hard to find! got a pic ?

loudbang likes this.
  21. southcross2631

southcross2631

My first hot rod was a 33 Chevy 3 window. I will be following this build.

GroundAssault likes this.
  22. Chuck Craig

Chuck Craig
    from Ocala FL

Nice start,my old 34 std is part of the family 40 years about. Will follow and help you if I can.

23. Yes, there was a '34 Master 3W coupe. It was the "Sport Coupe" and had a rumble seat and not a trunk. There were a lot more '34 Master 5W coupes produced. It's hard to eyeball these '33-'35 models as there are subtle differences. It appears that the OP's body tag is still on the firewall. I wud look at the Style No. on that tag for a more definite answer as to exactly what the OP's coupe is and compare to the wheelbase and style of the frame. Style Numbers for the various 3W coupes are as follows:
    '33 Mstr Spt Cpe - 33578
    '33 Std Spt Cpe - 33628
    '33 Std Cpe - 33607

'34 Mstr Spt Cpe - 34578
    '34 Std Cpe - 34607
    '34 Std Cpe - 351207 ('35 Std style body on '34 Std style (DC) frame
    '35 Std Cpe - 351207A ('35 Std style body on '35 Std style (EC) frame

Wheelbases for the various 3W coupes are as follows:
    '33 Mstr (CA) Passenger models - 110 in
    '33 Std (CC) Passenger models - 107 in

'34 Mstr (DA) Passenger models - 112 in
    '34 Std (DC) Passenger models - 107 in
    '35 Std (EC) Passenger models - 107 in

24. Slopok

Slopok

Is it just me or do those door openings appear HUGE??? Do you have the doors?

25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Correct. Here are some photos of a fender that I bought for my 34 Master 5 window......And a couple of the car, itself. One of the mounting holes is visible in the first photo.

Fender 3.jpg Fender 1.jpg Leaving Swede's 1.jpg 4.jpg

loudbang and piker like this.
  26. Said in an earlier post that he has the doors and 2 trunk lids , never did answer about tbe door sills , but I think I see them lying inside the car in an earlier post .
    What about garnish mouldings ??

loudbang likes this.
  27. Not right now, but I will get a pic for you and post it tomorrow night.

loudbang likes this.
  28. I do have all the garnish moldings and door sills. The only extra item I have though is the deck lid. Everything else I need for the car.

loudbang likes this.
  29. No. I have the original Master hood for the car.

loudbang likes this.
  30. Yes, I have the doors which are in excellent shape. The worst thing on this car is the rear lower corners that I'm having to rebuild and weld back on. Other than that, this is a pretty sweet and complete coupe.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.