Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My first irresistible "Field Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. brad2v

brad2v

I'm not advocating for anything, just making an observation :D

bchctybob likes this.
  2. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Ok, I am sitting in the back room, feet up,reading. Nothing is happening.......... What am I doing wrong? ................ That thing is cool !

3. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Moose,
    That looks nice as a rod, but could you do a Kustom version to satisfy my curiosity?

I'm thinking '51 Vicky side trim, taillights, and 3-piece rear window.

For colors, I'd suggest a couple of different salmon and black two-tone combos.

As for wheel covers, maybe '56 Lincoln Premiere, or ??? Wide whites, too, please.

[​IMG]

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Pist-n-broke; Yes, of course it's the curves I was interested in, uh, m my door windows look like regular rear windows, huh?
    I really like the hood/grill treatment on yours - '54 Pontiac right? One of my favorites thru the years. Nice work.
    Kan Kustom; you are reading Hemmings right? I guess the magic happens when you lust over about a dozen cars you can't afford, then the rust fairy drops one on you you can afford!
    I drove my roadster back to the scene of the crime to help my wife's nephew get the free OT Firebird. Good kid, he showed up on time, was very respectful to the lady and the tow driver, he even took me for a burger and a beer afterwards using his student loan money. He got a discount on the towing since his brother is a local CHP officer. (that may come in handy when I start trying to register the old beast). Even if his new car is OT, there IS hope for the future - he was all over my roadster.
    Two of my fresh set of roller tires went flat overnight, but it was up on wheels yesterday for the first time in many, many years. (it ain't low enough) Tomorrow I'll fix 'em and try to roll it to the "car wash" area and clean it up. Progress is slow, what with helping clean up the lady's place and all the relatives in town for the holidays.

dwollam, PAracer, brad2v and 5 others like this.
  5. Yes, 54 Pontiac. I wanted something Vintage looking but different. I don't think it's ever been done this way before. It was no easy task for sure. The one in the Purple Vert is how it is generally done.
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.

6. OK Peanut 1959...I hope the OP doesn't mind me stepping on his thread again but I must admit if you had the time equipment and skills to pull it off it would make a nice ride...

Custom2.jpg

7. That’s it right there!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71, loudbang and themoose like this.
  8. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Oh, yeah!!! This baby needs to be finished as a traditional kustom! The only other thing I'd try is adding the extra elliptical trim with black paint inside it. But you really showed us what an outstanding ride this could be. Thanks!

loudbang and themoose like this.
  9. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

OK, BCHCTYBOB, you've got your work cut out for you. You would never see another like it.

bchctybob, PAracer and loudbang like this.
  10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That’s so nice I’d ride in it to my funeral.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

slv63, Stogy, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  11. southerncad

southerncad

Once again TheMoose NAILED IT! The pink & white version is KEWL!

loudbang, themoose and Runnin shine like this.
  12. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

It deserves a way more cool engine than a belly button common ordinary sbc.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

King ford likes this.
  13. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Lost the old school cool completely. Modern mags and bland plain red just kill it.

lewk, Moriarity and Stogy like this.
  14. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Very cool.

Stogy likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Like it or not once the original is changed this cars' "history" is history!

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  16. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Big deal, it's just a rusted out half finished project from a local body shop, not a car show classic. It was somebody's pride and joy, now it can be somebody else's pride and joy, build it any way you want. If the last guy had thought it was really wonderful, he probably wouldn't have sold the engine and trans and parked it behind the shed. Cool car, cool ideas, but nothing too special here that needs to be carefully restored to preserve it's history in my humble opinion.

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Dammit Moose! That last rendering set my wife's (and daughter) heart all a flutter, now SHE wants it! She's even willing to sell her Corvair to contribute to the build fund. BTW, you can step on my thread ANY time.
    Fabber, I agree and I have been shopping ideas to make it like the next evolution of what Harold created. I want to close up the rear wheel openings, make a real tailgate and rear pan and maybe do a mild something with the grill.
    58 Yeoman, man, ain't that the truth.............
    As for power, I have a run-able 401 Buick under my workbench that is looking for a home I just need a trans to put behind it. I also have a new 283/TH350 that will soon be coming out of my roadster but I would really rather have a Buick.
    How rare is the Victoria rear window glass and separators? If I can find them (and afford them) I will probably do the rear glass as Moose has shown it.
    Here's the progress..... not much due to the Holidays, but it's now on wheels! (it took a bunch of tries with my ancient manual tire machine to get 4 old tires on rusty wheels that don't leak!)
    IMG_0716.JPG

18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I would think---51-54 Ford Victoria`s would all work for the top alterations. Possibly 52-54 Mercurys as well. Don`t know about 52-54 Lincolns. But they would all have to be hardtops.

loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  19. Well here's what I know about back glass for Vickys. 51 is all by itself being the 52-3-4 back window opening is 3/4" shorter and 1 &1/2" wider than the 51 is. How easy is it to find? I had a parts car I sold off after I thought I had everything off it I would need. There wasn't much left of it and it went on E-Bay with a crazzy buy it now number. 3 hours after listing it the money was in my Pay Pal it was headed to Oklahoma. Soon after it was gone I seen the quarter window roof rails were damaged from the PO lifting the body off the frame with 2, 4x4's through the window openings. It was something that didn't jump out at me when looking at all the S.S. piled in the trunk. I've been watching for those parts for almost 15 years now. Shoe Box central has stuff and is worth the call. To date everything I have bought from him has been exactly as described. They are very helpful people. Dennis Carpenter has the rubber. In order to get my back glass in I had to use an exacto knife to trim out both sides of each vertical channel of both sides in order to get all 3 pieces narrow enough to properly set in the body hole and fit inside the S.S. trim. I do like the idea of re installing the 51 Vicky glass in your car.
    The Wizzard

biggeorge, bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  20. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Definitely the nail head over the belly button common sbc and auto.

21. scotts52

scotts52

I believe Chris, here on the HAMB is selling a 51 Victoria hdtp. You might reach out to him.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

He’s also been following this fine thread

loudbang likes this.
  23. I had a 51 Vic but it's gone, and the guy who got it sold it already.

loudbang likes this.
  24. If memory serves, and it may have even been mentioned... if it started life as a Vicky it will have the "X" brace in the center of the frame. If it was a convertible, it will also have some pretty thick steel plate welded to the bottom of the frame, all the way down the passenger compartment area. At least that's how 52-54 are.

kidcampbell71, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  25. AndersF

AndersF

Looking att the photochopped pic.
    If you cant find Victoria rearglass you could follow the curve of backwindow
    in sheetmetal. And the use a flat glass in the middle.
    I cant photochop but imagine the glass black in this pic.
    [​IMG]

brEad, catdad49, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I personally hope the new roof work will be white.
    Would the steel below the window continue the same roof arc and curve to the bed floor?

27. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have photo shop, so accept my apologies to the original artist. I could see the black roof working, as well as a set of Foxcraft skirts. As I said, I apologize to the original artist. Untitledv v.jpg

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with this...please paint the top white...bitchin car man

rudestude likes this.
  29. bchctybob

bchctybob

30. The vin # moved mid year in 1950. Early cars had the Vin on top of the Right side (Passenger) frame rail between the Firewall and top control arm. Late 50's were moved to the top of the diagonal brace still on the Pass side. It is behind the rad and goes to main crossmember. The brace is about 10" long, numbers are on top. The big numbers stamped it the sheet metal Firewall have nothing to do with the actual Vin number you'll find on the Title.
    The Wizzard

biggeorge and loudbang like this.