Register now to get rid of these ads!

GF likes the Fleetline...what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, Apr 27, 2006.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

A member on here has a rough and incomplete 57' that I am jonesing for to build up as a mid 60's bad ass street racer style car. Its also less a title but it looks like one can be had.

I showed the woman the pics and she doesn't like the car....something about how it looks so mean in its flat black...

She wants me to build the 49' Fleetline. Its rougher than the 57' but pretty much complete. The frame on it is shot, so I have been looking for another one or alternatives. Since, the floros are shot, I figure that if I am going to swap in a later frame and running gear, I might as well channel it to get her low and still have a nice ride.

I think its cool shes into old rods, but she like the 49 and knows I will build a monster with the 57' and a nice cruiser with the 49'.

Whats a guy to do?

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

do both. Canada's big enough for another hot rod.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I guess if you REALLY want the '57 you can find another girl friend. (But I really think Shirley Muldowney is prolly too old for you and Melanie Troxel is already taken)

Other than that start lookin' for a donor chassis.

4. Olson

Olson

Do what you wanna do, and what you know you should do.

No amount of gf/wife beggin', pleadin', or naggin' is gonna make anything any better of a project, but it can sure make it worse! :D And if she punishes you for doin' the right thing...maybe the Fleetline isn't the only project that would be better off elswhere. :eek::D;)

'Course that title thing can be a bitch too. Might be that neither of them is the right one.

Olson

5. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Sounds like the girlfriend has good taste.

6. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

THis is where you reach and grab your BALLS and MAN UP! Build somthin you want... if she wants her own car have her build one! There are many girls on the HAMB that have done so... Remember your the Mayor of your own Mansville..

7. raaf

raaf

do what you want... but imo fleetlines are one of those cars i'd never get tired of looking at. i had one, sold it - and miss it everytime i drive. damn, i think i'm even missing the one you're thinking about getting.

8. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

Tell the G/F to buy some tools...:D

9. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

Tell her you're gonna build that '57 while you're waiting for the right frame for the Fleetline to come along because you want the Fleetline to be just perfect for her.

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Ha ha! Do like they say - grow a sack, tell her to fuck of and build the 57!
    Then drive around in it and look for a new chick that digs beater 57s (are there any?) Or...build the Fleetline and hang on to a girl who obviously can appreciate a good looking old car.

Like the world needs another wanker in a beater tri-five

11. rocknrods

rocknrods
    BANNED

If I were you, I'd tell her to kiss my ass......If I were you.
    I'm not you, just saying thats all.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

What he said. But remember, Mansville has a population of 1. And all you get to do is stand around, alone, and play with your balls.

Or, you could realize that since you already have one project that is just sitting there "with loads of potential" that was bought while wearing the Hot Rodder's Time Warp Glasses that allow the wearer to see every vehicle in it's final, finished, bad-ass form rather than the rusted-out piece of shit it really is, and that project is currently going nowhere, maybe she knows the '57 is also being looked at through the rust-colored glasses. They don't make Hot Rodder's Time Warp Glasses for women, either. No matter what the potential is, unless you have a track record of turning a pile into your final vision, the woman will never even try to put on your glasses. And if you do pull off a couple of transformations, she'll still only try on the glasses if you insist--she'll never ask to borrow them, and she'll never get her own pair.

Or, move to Mansville.
    -Brad

13. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I would go with the Fleetline. Either you can go with the 57 and grow out your mullet (not really, but if you want you could) or you can build one bad ass fleetline that will get you laid, if thats your intent. It would also be fun as hell to cruise in. (dont channel it) take that energy and throw on a 2" chop if you even modify the body.

14. What he said. I've pulled off quite a few transformations. Broke even, lost my ass and even made a couple bucks on some. The glasses went on easier after the profitable ones left, but she still had to be asked. If you're willing to be the mayor, get the 57. If not, FINISH the 49 first. The only thing good about having too many projects is you can always find something you need at a swap meet.

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Sooooo, just how good of a friend is this girl? One you would like to have hanging around for a while? Is the problem with the 57 or is it with the way you plan on building it?

You have three options.
    1) Make her happy and build the 49. How unhappy will you be once its on the road?
    2) Make you happy and build the 57. Understand an unhappy woman can make life unconfortable.
    3) Look for a better starting point with a car that is somewhere between what you want and what she wants.
    Gene

16. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

Rick,
    I feel yer pain:( My wife and just celebrated had our 38th anniversary and I got my first hot rod 38 years ago. I've had a LOT of cars since then and EACH time we went through this same thing. She likes this but I want that. Sound familiar:rolleyes: Most of the time I got what I wanted and some of those she learned to like. Others she didn't.... oh well:eek:. So if it were me I'd get Donnie's 57 (I know the car and it's a good deal) and promise her that NEXT time you will get something that she likes too.

17. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

If you do break up with her, I'm a single HAMBer in Ohio with a 49 Fleetline!

Just kidding man. I would say build the 49, and never let her forget how you put her before yourself. You could milk this thing for years!!

Tucker

18. RacerRick

RacerRick

I realllllllly like the fleetline. I also really like the 57' and have a built 427 that would go nice in it.

Fate is kinda funny though. I have been asking questions about the S10 frame swap since if I am going with modern running gear, I am going to channel the Fleetline hard and the S10 frame is better for that.

Guess what fell into my lap last night for the princely sum of $200? A 89' S10 long box standard cab with low miles, a nice body, and a nice running 4.3 V6. I have already told my buddy he can have the body for the rusty 4x4 S10 we picked up. He has a new winter beater to get to work when the snow flies, and I have the frame and running gear for the 49...and it all just sort of happened.

I guess I am supposed to do the fleetline....life is really wierd sometimes.

19. Glen

Glen

Buy my 48 sedanette and you can keep working on the 57 :D

20. Psycho78

Psycho78
    from EXP, CA

hmmmmmmm
    lowered fleetline or street racer 57
    lowered fleetline or street racer 57

Fleetline!!!!!!!!

21. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

and the problem then is.....? :D

22. Do what the GF wants,
    and while you're at it, go the movies that SHE wants to, go to the car shows SHE wants to, buy a house with a garage SHE wants, hell why not MARRY her, then you will not ever have to make any tough decisions again for the rest of HER life............

23. RacerRick

RacerRick

Heheheh...

Bitter much?

24. repoman

repoman

Sell the girl, buy the 57.