Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What kind of car should a young guy start on?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RockaRolla1998, Dec 29, 2017.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Look for something in the Fiftys early sixtys that trips your trigger and run with it.

2. NWRustyJunk

NWRustyJunk

I'd stay stick with a Chevy if you're just starting out. There's tons of cheap parts for them. They are also supported by the repop industry. Mid 60s C10s are cool rides that can be found cheap. Also 49-54 sedans make cool drivers. Its encouraging to see a younger guy getting into the hobby. Stick with it and have fun!

chryslerfan55 and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am partial to Falcons. Much of their parts can be upgraded with ones from the Mustang parts bins.

A good amount of sheet metal is on the market. Put a cheap 200, from someone upgrading a Mustang to a V8, and you will have a zippy little get around car, with decent mileage, that you can upgrade as you go.

I drive a hopped-up one, daily.

4. 49deluxe

49deluxe

I am partial to older Chevys but that’s just me. The advantage to getting a chevy from the late ‘40s through the mid ‘60s is if it’s got an ol’ stovebolt 6 in it you can run that thing forever. They are amazing engines and there is a lot of speed parts for them that won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. FullsizedFordFeller

FullsizedFordFeller

I'm 19 now, bought my '64 Galaxie at 18. I love my car and have never regretted buying it.

Sent from my VS835 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

Welcome to the HAMB.

Old cars and trucks suck! They suck up time, money, space, and skills. They require tools and equipment, and places to work on them and store the related items that tend to come with them. They wear out and break regardless of if you have the money, or the time, or the skills, or a place to repair them. They tend to be addictive, its very, very, difficult to just have one. They pick your friends! You will tend to hang around with other car people, and most of them will like the same things you like. They tend to hurt you, I've never met anyone that works on cars that hasn't donated blood, skin, sweat, and tears to the cause. Colorful language is often associated with working on cars. It really is a love-hate relationship.

World advice?
    Learn the skills legally earn a lot of money, this car thing is not cheap.
    Find a life partner that also likes cars, life is too short to fight about them.
    Take care of your body, this car thing will beat you up and destroy you from inside if your not paying attention. It does it a little at a time so its hard to notice. Gene

7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55, Chucky and scrap_metal like this.
  8. SherrillHotrods

SherrillHotrods

The best advise I could give to a younger generation hotrodder is do a little homework everybody has their niche some are all about muscle cars some the classic cruisers. You know what you like and that's all that matters because your gunna want something to build that you absolutely can't stop thinking about because it will be frustrating at times and you need that you won't give up on. That's why all across America we see all these old beautiful projects with interiors gutted half sanded, trim missing because someone wasn't fully invested in that project. They might only got that car or truck cuz their buddy had one so they went that route. So pick the one you've been jonsin for and stick with it to the end. I've always been into cars but not full throttle till I was prolly 23 when I lived in Austin Texas and I knew what kinda cars I wanted to get into. Hotrods, I've got into some muscle cars too but my heart is 50s chevys I could stare all day at a car from the 50s and get lost in the quality and the lines on them. Hope this helps

Sent from my SM-N950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. scrap_metal

scrap_metal

From my little bit of experience 10 years into hobby. I would get something running and keep it simple. My first car was a 64 lincoln cont. Ran was fun until I took some bad advice and tor the car apart. Took 3 years to get back together and everything to replace cost a arm and a leg. Major brand car are easy to get part for. Do small stuff to it and keep it simple. I see cars all the time for 2500 hundred that are running and would be a great start for any kid. Don't jump on the first thing you find unless it's a great deal. Be patient and the right car will find you. Welcome to the HAMB

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Shoe box ford 49 to 51 a great starter car and every one loves them ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

robracer1 and waylow64bird like this.
  11. RockaRolla1998

RockaRolla1998

I'm trying to get into the Marines with a 20k enlistment bonus, 10 paid after basic and 10 after serving. The plan is to spend less than 10k on the whole rod My favorites are 50s-60s rods... My dream is Washington blue 30-31 coupe with a '40 Ford dash, quick-change rear, '40 Chevy spinner steering wheel, a J2 Olds 371 and possibly Cadillac 3 speed. I learned the skills and can do all labor myself, but no tools yet (I would include them in the budget).

12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

13. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Old wolf likes this.
  14. RockaRolla1998

RockaRolla1998

What a bitchin' piece of machinery! Definitely not the average cookie-cutter Fad T! :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. RockaRolla1998

RockaRolla1998

My profile picture's a wrecked '62 for a reason. After working about a year I could finally afford to buy a cheap classic and my buddy had it for sale. After a bit I fell in love with it, worked on it and daily drove it, but last month a girl ran a stop sign entering the highway and I couldn't stop in time... My first car crash and not even in a car with seat belts. That crumpled jalopy really solidified me as a car guy.

16. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Running and rather rust free for anything besides a model a. If you want a model a get a complete sedan they are cheap esp 28 28. But don't buy a rusty body. Or if younreally want an a buy the nicest frame or rolling chassis you can find and start with that a body will come along. And once you get chassis up and going you can always drive it around the yard....purring a t body on an a chassis is also a cheap option

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Clay Belt like this.
  17. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I'd pick up something newer in the late 40's-50's. Most already had V8 and can be picked up fairly cheap.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt likes this.
  18. Military service, I salute you Sir. After 37.5 years service, Army, Reserves, and finally WVNG, four deployments to combat units I will tell you this. My service was all Combat Arms, 11B Infantry, and 19D Cav. Scout, I learned one thing in those years, how to kill the enemy. When I retired in 2013 I was qualified for any Scout position from small wheeled vehicle to M3A3 Bradley. What is your wanted MOS? Hopefully something that will teach you a usable trade after your service. Looking back, I have no regrets as the men I served with all became brothers and the only ones that I have. Also be forewarned that you will not have the opportunity of 20 years and out with a pension, Military is going to a 401K system and that sucks. After your initial term of enlistment you will also have a secondary obligation for a total of I have been told 10 years now. When I got in it was 6 years, 2 Active then 4 reserve that the recruiter may not tell you about, ask me how I found out. Best bet would be to stay in as a Reservist, still getting a small monthly pay check, more possible re-enlistment bonuses, acquiring rank, (Retired as an E-8) and accumulating a pension.

19. This right here is excellent advise

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Base it on your skills. If you can't mig, stay away from rust... etc. A nice roller is a good step. Hold back and buy a car you can be rollin withiin 1 to 2 years...so you don't lose interest. Once you drive your first creation...your hooked..

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Clay Belt likes this.
  21. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had 3 great deals....partially finished one...raced it, got runner up at a Norwalk points meet...sold it and tbe others and moved to Texas.. Did not have the money or time for three. They were a True 396 SS 67 L78 Camaro one of 1200 , a 393 SS 1968 Camaro, 1959 Thunderbird 352 4 barrel driver..needed body work.

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

First car is a learner but get something close to what you want, you want a hotrod don't get a falcon cause it's cheap vise versa, you want a custom dont get a t-bucket..

if you really want something like 32 roadster look at cheaper stuff like a T or an A to get your feet wet , similar cars and chassis you'll be more familiar with what you want to do for your next build or dream car

23. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure if you'll get to that particular dream car for under 10K all in including tools, but I really like the direction of your dream. Another thing to consider, if you like Model A Fords and you intend to build a very period correct one (sounds like), try finding an older restoration A that runs and drives, and maybe still has decent paint, glass, upholstery, ect. Then you can build it one modification at a time, as time and funds allow, until you get all the way to your goal.

You can do reversed spring eyes if you have access to a press, then a flattened crossmember once you have a welder, then maybe a swap to hydraulic brakes, 16" wheels, and so on. Nothing that would take the car off the road for too long or require tearing the whole car apart. You can save up to buy the parts and tools for each individual step without needing it all at once and they car will be functional the whole time. That's often how the cars were built in the 40's and 50's, so you'd really be doing it in a period method. Stock, older resto Model A's are often available around 8 grand, give or take depending on how nice they are and what body style they are. Something to think about.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Also, this above is really good advice and something that I wish I would have committed to.

Side note, where are you guys finding running, driveable 47-54 Chevy shortbox pickup trucks for $1500?

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good question.

I'll take 6.

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  26. Slopok

Slopok

Yeah right, I'll take 2 please!

chryslerfan55 and Blues4U like this.
  27. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Now is a good time to buy. Lots of guys need the garage space for winter builds..

When I switched from Olds/Pontiac to my present 69 el Camino, I was shocked at the parts availability!!

28. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

I just happen to have a 4 door 57 chebby that will be for sale real soon here. pm me if you have any interest.
    Welcome to the hobby

29. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome.
    I have 2 on going projects. There are many times I wished I had bought a running and driving car and a project on the side. Be patient. Oh did I mention be patient before starting? I should have taken Ryans advice more seriously. Learn how to search for parts and cars through ALL the sources available. It certainly would have helped me from making many mistakes.

Spend a lot of time looking at different models and cars YOU really really like then find a thread here of that car and pick up some pointers by asking questions.

When I planned to go back to my hobby I told A friend of mine I was going to buy a 57 chevy. He said "why would you buy something that isn't old?" I ended up getting 30's era I knew nothing about but love. Sometimes I just pull the car cover off my projects and it puts a smile on my face.

Glad your interested. The older I get the more I like the older stuff.
    P.S. I didn't say I was old.

30. I agree the 55 and newer have a open driveline and a V8 swap can be done using bolt in factory parts. easier to upgrade to better brakes and taller rear gears ect. and they are easy to work on.