Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy II's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn F., Sep 13, 2009.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chevy II trivia time.

Fact 50: Small-block 283 and 327 V-8s destined for factory (or over-thecounter kit) installation in 1962–1967 Chevy IIs and Novas had a special block casting, which repositioned the oil filter mounting pad 2 inches higher. These blocks bear specific casting numbers that read 3862194 (283) or 3790721, 3791362, 3791363 (283 and 327). Factory-sourced Chevy II fuel pumps, fuel lines, exhaust manifolds, and oil pans also differ from items used in larger passenger car applications.

[​IMG]

https://www.musclecardiy.com/muscle-car-tech-tips/interesting-chevy-muscle-car-facts/

1Nimrod, enloe and henryj1951 like this.
  2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

3. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

4. Boxy Chevy IIs are keen.
    Denny - enjoyed reading the Steve Bovan link. A shame, he was living a drag racing dream.

enloe, henryj1951 and loudbang like this.
  5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm with you on that.
    I've only owned one first gen car, a reeely nice red/white 62 hardtop, it was like new, beautiful red bench seat interior, perfect glass, chrome etc.
    In 1970 I was sixteen and during this time I had my nose in hot rod mags 24/7, primarily drag race oriented, so when I was told about it I just knew what I wanted to do with it.
    The guy I bought it from had planned on building a gas/altered class drag car but became gravely ill shortly after starting on it. The only thing he had done was remove the 6 cyl/powerglide and cut out the firewall for an engine setback.
    Due to a lack of work space and tools (and knowhow) I ultimately sold it before proceeding with it but often wanted to try and find another Chevy II like it and relive the dream.

henryj1951 likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Four doors no waiting.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod and henryj1951 like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

12. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

20. Back in about 1973 my cousin Chris Proctor in San Diego had a 1962 Chevy ll that was bright green with the "MIGHTY MOUSE" name and logo on it. He used to race it at Carlsbad Raceway. Anyone know of the car and where it might be now? Wish I had a photo of it. Thanks, I know it's a loooooong shot to get information, but I have seen miracles worked on this site.

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. loudbang

loudbang

That is going to be quite a search. I have posted about 10 different cars and makes using that name just on the HAMB but sorry no Chev II. :(

enloe likes this.
  23. vega1

vega1

It's a funny thing about prostreet cars with me are some tacky YES do I like all of them hell NO but it's alot like this I'm 41 year old I grew up in the era of over the top prostreet cars I own one a 1971 VEGA that being said I do like alot of era cars with the late fifties early mid 6os being my thing but I have a real correct gas class 1965 Nova but it like old country Music when I was a kid all my friends listened to hair bands and what not and I did too but I really liked Waylon. Merle Hank just didn't let them know that but that's what getting older is THE ABILITY TO NOT GIVE A CRAP pro street cars are more useful then those over the top 60s70s show only wild customs not saying they weren't neat just saying

Sent from my Pixel 2 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

quick85 likes this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Vegal, I know how my post sounded and I really didn't want too come across to harshly. If you're 41
    now, you would have been around 17 when this photo was shot. I'm betting you would have dug this
    car, I know I did even with the Pro Stock scoop on the hood. Times and tastes change, cars don't
    change (back) as easily.

I worked with a fellow that had a beautiful stock bodied '68 Camaro. Because of the Pro Street craze
    he chopped up this car, put a 6:71 blower on top of a stroked 383, dropped it, tubbed it, caged it.
    It had a brandywine paint job that look six inches deep with the "Heartbeat" graphics and an interior that looked like the outside of an Animal Crackers box...gaudy and way over the top. Yeah, he finally
    got his monster Super Chevy Sunday trophy but ruined a bitchin' car in the process. He couldn't sell
    the car after that until he finally blew it out the door and took a beating on it.

By the way, I dig Vega small block conversions but can't guess how long it's been since I've seen one.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    vega1 likes this.
  25. vega1

vega1

I wasn't knocking brother just saying that some of my favorite things are seeing my Vega from the rear I to have seen alot of really good cars cut up for no good reason just look at the pro touring crap today if I want all that I'd just buy new I was never ever ever a fan of the pastl laden slime drip paint splattered eighties or the bullet and tweed 90s but a tubbed fat in the rear skinny in the front still does something for me

quick85 likes this.
  26. pragmatist

pragmatist

I don't get the "cut up" pro-touring comment. I have a 67 nova with my own design rear truck arm and watts link with an aftermarket front clip but if anyone was foolish enough to want to restore it to original it would be easy to do without having to "uncut" anything. As far as buying a new car over making my own version of my 67 that is hardly the same thing. How you don't get that is beyond me. The whole idea of Hot Rodding is to take a car and improve it.

27. vega1

vega1

Oh I get it dude believe me it's just like I said pro touring cars are just the in thing just as prostreet cars once were I just think that twenty inch wheels and 17 inch rotor twelve piston caliper and what not have there place and to me that's that but that's what makes things interesting This is my opinion you don't have to like it I don't like yours but hey you probably wouldn't like or understand my Nova with a hairpin axle 9.3 OLDS AND FIVE FOOT LADDER BARS and a blown small block if I wanted all that Shitdigit kustom crap I would build that once again my opinion sorry if I hurt your feelings lil fella

loudbang likes this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

"Pro Street" and "Pro Touring" are just names the car rags tacked on to cars to capitalize on trends that had already started, they seldom were originators.
    Like any car, the Chevy II's/Novas have been "cut up" material since Bill Thomas built his first one in 1962/3. Many people don't know this but his fastback Nova was first built for roadracing, even had a Corvette IRS in it.

I too have a 67 Nova that has gone through a couple different iterations since its purchase in 1982, Not that I expect it to happen, but if the HAMB ever upped the cutoff date by two years it might be accepted here, but it would also have to change its position on IFS and IRS suspensions.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There is a really nice, all original first gen two door sedan that I see around here, very plain, appears to be the original saddle tan paint, always the same middle aged lady driving it, appears to be a daily driver because I saw it the other day when it was 34 deg.
    Has the six cyl. emblems, not sure if it's a p.g. or a 3 speed.
    The hotrodder in me would normally be thinking how cool that car would be with a 327/350 horse engine and a 4 speed but it really is too nice to modify..............what the hell is wrong with me, damn right I would because I just happen to have both right here ready to go in.

20160108_140752.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

63 Acadian Canso
    [​IMG]

Roadsir likes this.