Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My first irresistible "Field Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. I was actually working and thinking about this car and the door glass. It just didn't add up. It's kind of weird and an optical illusion. When looking at the photo as well as standing back from my Green 51 the quarter window looks shorter than the Door glass but no, they are the same exact length front to back at the body line. That explains the Quarter window in the door. I was thinking the door must have been shortened to make it work, Wrong! It's a direct insert. Whoda thunk it?
    The Wizzard

2. rudestude

rudestude

Not trying to hijack your thread... I just think your find is very cool...and I figured by seeing other cars it might help you get the bug to save it...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dwollam, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  3. I really dig them and in the mid 50's you seen quite a few in the little books, both Ford's and Chevy's. I actually was part of a 57 Ford Ranch wagon conversion around 1972. It was no big deal being it looked like most Ranchero's only different. That only happened due to Roof damage to an other wise really nice Wagon.
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55, rudestude and loudbang like this.
  4. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looks like a fun project.

loudbang likes this.
  5. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, I paid for the car in sweat equity today and at my age that can be harder than coughing up some cash! LOL. The adventure spurred me on though.
    My neighbor and I did a huge yard clean up and scrap metal forage (5 acres). As for additional treasures, zip, nada, nothing. I did find a couple of extra wheels and a towbar, oh yeah, some real vise-grips that will need a soak. I also found a dead goat and plenty of horse and goat sh!t.
    I got absolutely nowhere asking the lady (Barb) and her daughters about the history of the old Ford. They had plenty to say but just not on the topic I really cared about - I'll try again.... I did find out that it was built by Grandpa who worked for 30+ years as a bodyman at Geweke Motors in Lodi, Ca. He retired and opened a shop in Burson, Ca and finally retired for good. I didn't get the only picture she has but I understand it isn't much different than the ones I posted originally, just a different location. Dang.
    Thanks Rudestude for the inspirational pix. Pist-n-broke: you're at the top - wink, wink

6. 562roadster

562roadster

Such a cool truck! It has lots of potential, great save. Heres a ROUGH quick 10min rendering i did in between work. Heres what i see it as. Congrats on the score! [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Big thanks to Moose and 562roadster for the photoshop renderings. That green version I could do easily myself, tinted primer and a gloss white top. There are some early Merc hubcaps in the bed right now and I have two 6.70-15 Firestone bias plys that need a home.
    Who is the go-to for patch panels for shoeboxes? It's gonna need rockers, fender bottoms, floors and I'd like to close up the rear wheel openings like the green one above.

8. Budget36

Budget36

I think if the back window went back and filled the area behind the cab, it'd sweeten up the car a lot. There's been a few pics already of what I mentioned, then again, it's not my time working on it;)

Still a cool ride no matter which way you look at it.

My Uncle (used car lot guy, also had a few Ford Dealerships) had ties to Geweke in the 70's and 80's, if you'd PM me the guys name, I'll see if he know's anything...might come up with some kind of contact for you...never know.

brad2v, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  9. I'm not sure just how many different Co's are actually making panels. I have bought many from EMS over the years and I believe they actually stamp there own. Years back there was a Co called Made-right and the name fit. (that was the 60's) but they are gone now. I have been gluing rotted sheet metal back together for 40+ years (I just turned 70) and to date I haven't found any that are an exact fit. Your going to do some work to get a good job. We all seem to have a idea of a good job. Being I've done it for a living my Customer work needs to be as good or better that factory. For myself, well I've been told I'm anal so along the way I learned to shape and fab my own stuff as needed. Customers still bring me what they want me to use so I have to keep educating them why it isn't just a cut fit weld project. If you must buy I say price shop and then make what you end up with do the best you can. EMS used to be a vender here but I see they are gone now. Also stay away from Bradley, they will run your card day one and maybe 2 or 3 years later you'll get sheet metal that isn't even for your car. Sad isn't it?
    Or,, you could not do anything. I know a guy,,, Chuckle chuckle
    The Wizzard

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's what I was looking for, recommendations on who NOT to use as well as leads to suppliers. I realize (from experience) most patch panels are "rough approximations" usually. But when I send my hard earned money to someone, I want parts now.
    I wish I had focused on being a body man instead of building chassis and headers, I can whip out a chassis but most of my projects slow WAY down when it's time for body and paint. I'm thinking of trying this one backward - body work first, then chassis stuff. Assuming the undercarriage is all where it's supposed to be.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- GTO? - Ha! have fun with your unique project

Outback and loudbang like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The shape is not right for 58 Chevy tail lights, looks to me more like stock 50 Ford tail light shape!

loudbang likes this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I pulled out the old Arm-strong tire machine and got two roller tire/wheels ready for installation tomorrow and two more tires ready to go on the wheels I take off. Then I can roll it over to the car washing area and get some of the moss and lichens off of it. Also rake the leaves - the interior is full of acorns, pods and the corresponding leaves. I found two cool Ford dog dish hubcaps behind the seat.

14. Oh, behind the seat! While your there look in the floor pan just behind the door opening for 2 caged nuts. That would have been where the top ram bracket was mounted. The seat riser is probably gone but it would have a hole in it and 4 caged nuts there also. That is right on top of a body mount under the floor pan. Here is a photo of just inside the driver side door of the ram mount in place. They are the same on both sides of course.
    June 4th 2014 023.jpg

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  15. If it started life as a Vicky the cage nuts are not in place.
    The Wizzard

loudbang likes this.
  16. I understand the Body and Paint side. I was all custom chassis and fab work for the most part. Somewhere along mid 70's I got into rust repair out of necessity. I was so fortunate to have a 4 year younger Brother that loved Paint and upholstery but couldn't weld for beans. Between the 2 of us we seemed to be able to do it all. We actually managed to make a few bucks along the way. Sadly come Jan 18 it will be a year since he passed. Talk about a Life Changing experience. Wow,, Damn

17. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My condolences for the loss of your brother.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if they are free I'd get the Firebird as well. that's got to be 40 years old. I heard they do not make them anymore.

kidcampbell71, Outback and loudbang like this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Man I just love the tinted primer version. Add the back window, maybe the back of a sedan trunk lid for the tailgate and damn that’s hot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  20. Sorry, just can't get my head wrapped around the (existing) roof at all. Doesn't flow, doesn't belong. Reminds me of early 'vette, I know it's not, just gives that appearance from the side. Moose's version looks a little better, but still not right.The white car rudestude posted in post #83 with the pickup roof is much closer to looking like it was designed that way. It would be easier to live with if it was removable though. But what do I know?

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  21. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Texas57...I agree to a point. Problem is we are using today's design sensibilities when giving an opinion. Let's assume this custom was built in the later 50s...we know what cars look like made after that. This guy didn't. The designs he was privy to when he made his changes to this shoebox only went up to the model year of the changes. Looking at it in that context, this customs roof design makes more sense...and was even cutting edge in a way. One of the common elements of traditional customs is that some made their cars look more like a newer car or modern, and others used elements of more expensive cars...Cadillac grill in a Ford for example. In the later 50s that rear window design, the Breezeway, was one of Ford's unique styling cues. Maybe the original builder was going for that look.

cactus1, warbird1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  22. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

To me, having the roof slope toward the rear and just stop without the rear glass in the style line looks sort of goofy. It may have been what the original guy was after, but it comes off as home made instead of a smooth factory job. If the windshield were a couple inches shorter so the top line was leveled out some it would go a long way toward cleaning it up. Personally I don't like the GMC roof on the white one in post 83, but themoose's version and the middle car in 83 from Rod and Custom really blow my dress up.
    However, since it's not my car it's not my choice. Cool car, no matter what direction it goes from here.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  23. bchctybob

bchctybob

Today I found out it was built by a gentleman named Harold Flaherty in Lodi in the '59-60 time frame. It was white with a pink and white interior. That seems to speak to his adventurous attitude toward life. He was a body and fender man by trade but as with many men of that generation he did woodwork, electrical repairs (car radios), blacksmith, etc. I helped clear out his workshop today, it was just like my Dad's workshop. He's been gone for years but the family held the onto his memory with his car and workshop.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Great that you got the history of it, sounds like the builder had real character and his truck did, too. Glad it's safe, hope to see it get new life!

As for the roof, its the trucks most defining feature. The inner window panel is ahead of its time. Personally i think itd be a shame to change it much.

Sent from my LG-M153 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

When I was a really young kid in the 50's, a neighbor had a 49-51 Ford 2dr. It might have been a 51 Vickie, as it had 3 windows on the rear. It was either black or dark green. What I DO remember is the top was fiberglass and removeable. I don't think it started as a 'vert, as everyone was gaga over it. That's all I can remember from about 60 years ago.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and bchctybob like this.
  26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I found the radio for the car in old Harold's workshop, we also found the missing front fender trim. We ain't done cleaning up yet so I still hope to find more parts.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

27. brad2v

brad2v

These are excellent points. It's one of those "would I build this today?" sort of things. Me, likely not, but someone did, when this car was 8 or 9 years old. It could be brought back to being a pretty cool ride, for fairly cheap, if the bulk of it was done in a home shop. I'd fix the rust, shoot it white (or even white primer), shove a powertrain of some sort in it, and cruise. Oh yeah, the pink n white interior would definitely get redone. I love it. It'd sure look cool with Pist n Broke's Vicky and ragtop...

28. That's amazing it stayed in the same Family as the builder. That tells me there should be a Title in his name for it somewhere. Who ever ended up with Harold's power of attorney should be able to fill out a lost Title, Title transfer form and then you can get the title re issued in your name. Any idea what was under the Hood yet?
    The Wizzard

29. bchctybob

bchctybob

There are a couple of clues as to the power train, single exhaust and no clutch pedal. The motor mounts look like late flathead (2 bolts up into each water pump). It coulda even been a six. Tomorrow I'll pull the hood (no hinges) and take pics, I'll also jack it up and look for the big X.
    Pist-n-broke it looks like you have an ally up north (Brad2v) lobbying on your behalf......
    Myself, I'd like to see the photo in your avatar full size.
    Fabber & Texas57; I felt (feel?) the same way about the rear window when I first saw it - it looks like the rear window is missing. It has grown on me and I agree with Black Panther's assessment. I will arrest the deterioration, fix the rust and reserve any decisions on the top until later. Who knows what parts will come along, should I find the Victoria rear glass at a price I can afford I will certainly grab it - then see if it can be tastefully blended with the top.

30. Honest, I don't know brad2v but I like the way he thinks. So being I want to stay on your Good side here's the photo you asked for.
    annalee9.jpg Now just so you guys know that's my Granddaughter. I't normal for me to let family use any car in the Fleet. She is a sweet little thing eh? This photo is about 15 years old so here is a little more current one of the Vicky. Really you just wanted to see how the back window flowed right?
    20160624_160403.jpg All in all this is probably my Favorite photo of the Vicky. It shows all the hard work in the Grill and some of the Firewall. This is Nikki, a School mate of Annalee"s
    nikki.jpg
    The Wizzard

brEad, Outback, dwollam and 10 others like this.