Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 8BA belts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevinwalshe, Dec 27, 2017.

1. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

I’m running the 3/8” two belt setup and need to find out which ones I need. Trying to find them locally so a Napa, Gates, or Oreilly part number would be awesome. Even the length would be fine. Running a powergen on a stick motor with offset pulleys. Thanks in advance fellas!
    Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Don't know your specific belt but here's what I did: I took an old belt cut it and then drilled a hole in each end. I next secured a piece of stiff wire in one hole and looped it over the pulleys. I next ran the loose end of the wire into the other hole and pulled it tight like a belt should be and the put a kink in the wire. I loosened and took it off the pulleys and reset the wire in the hole as when it was on the engine. I took the belt mock up to the harware store to find the right size new belt.

Worked for me and hope it helps you.

Hnstray and clem like this.
  3. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

If I had any old ones I would do that. Might just have to use rope or something to try and get the length close. Someone may chime in with a part number to save me a hassle. Can’t seem to find the lengths of the two belt setup anywhere online. I have this one which will hopefully work for the fan/water pump belt. Will try a test fit in the morning. [​IMG]

4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Kevin, any old belt of proper width will work as long as the belt goes over all the pulleys and leaves the gap in N open/accessible area. The dump could be your friend heee. Another tip: when you do the mock up set the adjustable pulley(s) at midpoint

kevinwalshe and Hnstray like this.

5. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Will do @AVater going out to the garage to fiddle with it right now. Thanks!

AVater likes this.
  6. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Found the generator belt. Used a piece of Romex to get the measurement. 51” seemed to be it. [​IMG]

AVater likes this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers