Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Almost Funny - AWB Barracuda Funny Car Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It don't matter to me either. It's the other's that don't understand your Ace. Edit added. Gary, others is not directed toward you even though your included in the quotes. Your an asker, not a director. Make sense?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I like all the comments and suggestions. In the end, I'll decide what to do...but it really helps having others following along, and questioning my decisions. I'm learning a lot.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

See Jim, you like an attendance after all. :)

34 Plymouth Hemi likes this.
  4. Gee sorry folks for asking!
    Jim, sub 2500 is pretty light for a street / strip car that mostly 'glass.
    I think you can get high 8's on the track, it's the street that will be tough.
    I have to say I admire your taking on this challenge. You could just go all modern, but this approach is WAY WAY Cooler and more interesting
    Still think you ought to consider leafs.I know zip, but I don't think flyweight alone will do it. The 1000 HP will help!
    Consider though few FC's in1966 were making even close to that.
    Looking forward to this!

mad mikey likes this.
  5. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

With a streetable car, dana 60, drums in the rear, Iron block Hemi, and a huffer, 2500 LBs is going to be difficult to achieve. I started out the build on my coupe with drums, leaf springs, and some other heavy stuff. I was unhappy with the weight and re-did bunch of it. I should have used the light stuff to begin with.

mad mikey, Gary Reynolds and bobwop like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

I know it will be a challenge. But I figure if I set the bar high enough, then even if I don't reach it, the car will still be damn quick.

And I am keeping upgrades in mind...some things I am going the heavy way now, but I know I can spend more money later and make it light (and usually less period correct).

I'd rather the car be a little bit slower, than have billet parts on it.

Willy_P, Gammz, mad mikey and 8 others like this.
  7. I agree 1000 hp can get you into 8's. 2500 lbs may make it a close cut. Were I making the recipe to do that I might look closer at not using rectangle tube for frame rails just due to the weight issue of that material. C. M. for the cage is good, why not for lower frame rails also? I understand the look you are after and that was rectangle tube, specially with the front clip off. So maybe fake them out. Only use rectangle from firewall forward where it's visible and C M from there back. Should be a worth while weight loss. Every little bit helps.

8. squirrel

squirrel

There are some other considerations that make me want to use a rectangular rail frame.

I did a very rough weight estimate today, mostly to try to figure out where the CG might be. It's pretty far back. I guesstimated somewhere around 2450 lbs total, but some of the numbers are very SWAG. And I expect I forget a few key parts.

9. No doubt you'll get there.

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Don't be sorry for asking. As I had said, your not a director. A little insight about the photo. It is easy to assume because there are people in the photo it means only just that. There's a message on the wall and that's what Jim is all about. And that is why he has a large audience. Jim educated me on something when I had trouble with a 9" 3rd member I was reassembling. He left me to do wrong even though he knew that I was doing wrong. That wrong was only this. I didn't understand what it was that he was saying and illustrated to me via a copy and paste from a motor manual. He let me do my own experimenting and thru this I then understood what it was he clearly put in front of me. Jim is not a director. He's an excellent teacher with just the right amount of sarcasm when need be.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    upspirate, pigfluxer, Gammz and 4 others like this.
  11. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Jim, when you start screwing that Hemi together, one thing to always check on a new Hemi combination is the valve to bore clearance. Before you put the crank in, put some soft valve springs on the heads, bolt the heads to the block, flip it over and check each one. THey are pretty close, so it doesen't take much to make it hit. Guys have found interfearance due to misalignment of the dowel pin holes, or valve guides. It's best to find it before you start the engine. :(

valve to bore check.jpg

12. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks for the tip. I did notice that my block is already relieved on the intake side to clear the valve.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

I'm ready for the meat and taters! I want cutting grinding and welding pictures!!

Agh patience... patience...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. squirrel

squirrel

One of these days...I'll probably start cutting the body off in the next week. I've been building the parts of a jig to weld the new ends on the rear end housing, although I still have to buy the ends, and the suspension brackets, etc.

The front axle will take a little while to get, and that will slow down the process of designing the frame. It's a domino effect.

15. choptop40

choptop40

Hey Squirrel what about an axle from the Hamber who makes them..tube style ...WAC I think...I saw a thread a while back and he makes em strong big time...some one else chime in if you remember ....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  16. squirrel

squirrel

That's the plan.

17. Motor City

Motor City
    from Michigan

18. Hi Jim,

i don't have any technical advice for you, not even any measurements or race experience, i'd just like to say that you are a source of entertainment for us gearheads and old stuff maniacs. always a good read, your report from dragstrip trips and giving your thoughts and plans to us is worth more than a reading a good book, because it is a first hand story from a guy living several thousand miles away who sounds so near.

thanks for that and have a comfy christmas time with the beloved, Jim.

wish i could shake your hand or see you waiting at the tree!

Cheers, Carsten

t-rod, loudbang, AmishMike and 2 others like this.
  19. loudbang likes this.
  20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice picture book story.

21. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

GOOD LUCK WITH THIS JIM! LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING AT THE MELTDOWN? MAYBE A MATCH UP WITH MR BESWICKS GTO? NOW THERES SOMETHING TO PROMOTE!

loudbang likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know if it'll be done by July, but it sure would be fun to take it up there.

Anyways...son is visiting for the week, and we got started cutting things up.

body01.jpg

mad mikey, Stogy, brad2v and 13 others like this.
  23. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Cutting metal with fire! :D

squirrel and loudbang like this.
  24. AlexCold

AlexCold
    from Yuma, AZ

Cool!

So I’m also building a frame for my hot rod. I recall you mentioning the frame will be .063 wall rectangle tubing. Is that sufficient in strength for the amount of power you’re going to use? Or is the combination of body, roll cage, and frame all together strong enough? I’m not used to building a frame for hot rods, mostly 4x4s so I tend to overbuild?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not planning on going that thin, was thinking of 14 gauge (.083)

It's not all designed yet though.

26. LOL the wedge weighs less and takes up less room.

My favorite Barracuda body. Looks like Jim is working has ass off between now and drag week. ;)

mad mikey likes this.
  27. belair

belair

I appreciate your deliberative approach and patience with the car and with us. I've learned more than a little about planning ahead and preparation from reading your posts over the years. Keep on keepin on.

brad2v likes this.
  28. sparks hitting the floor
    YEE HAA!!!!

brad2v, loudbang and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

This car is not about being sensible. At all. It needs a Hemi.