Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '54 Chevy 210 post build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cretin, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Wrench666

Wrench666

That’s what I thought. Looks awesome. Thanks

chryslerfan55 and cretin like this.
  2. Wrench666

Wrench666

I’m guessing the cleco with tabs

3. cretin

cretin

You got it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Wrench666 like this.
  4. Wrench666

Wrench666

I guess I’ll have to play with some valueless parts to get it figured out. Thanks again.
    Looking forward to your progress

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  5. cretin

cretin

That's a good idea. Even working on metalworking flat sheet would be good. Flat and low crown panels are hard, so if you practice on flat, you'll have an easier time on high crown panels like the bullnose of the hood.

Be careful with the top of the hood. it's a very low crown panel and will move all over the place when welding. In my earlier years, I came real close to ruining a shoebox ford hood while one piecing it, and had to get bailed out. I'm not trying to scare you off, just letting you know that's not an easy job. Getting some experience before tackling that is beneficial.
    I definitely don't consider myself an expert, I'm still learning every day, but if you have any questions, let me know and I'll help as best I can. Or start a thread, there are a lot of knowledgable people on here.

6. cretin

cretin

I had a problem with my rear brake setup, and had to make my rear lower shock mounts, but got the frame as a roller this weekend.
    I also cut off the flanges to my headers and welded on V-bands. Next I'll get my gas tank modified, do some plumbing, and exhaust, then I should be ready to put the body on and wrap up the floors.

IMG_7473.JPG IMG_7474.JPG

7. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Loving this build. I'm curious what tires are you using.? I see other cars in the background with WWW's too any specific brand you recommend or prefer?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. cretin

cretin

Thanks man. The tires on there currently are some I got from Diamond Back years back. They are 215/75/15's. When I need to get a new set of tires I'll probably go with some BF Goodrich bias blys.
    We use a lot of firestones, when we go with whitewalls.

9. Doubletake

Doubletake

When I first got on this site I ran across your car. It was one of my favorites. Awesome work for sure!!

loudbang, cretin and Early Ironman like this.
  10. cretin

cretin

Thanks! Hopefully I can get some updates going if I can stop having parts issues.

31Vicky with a hemi and loudbang like this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Chassis looks great! Do you have any GNRS overtime this year? Bob

cretin and loudbang like this.
  12. cretin

cretin

Thanks Bob!
    No, we are in pretty good shape this year. We are prepping the Bob Morris Nickel roadster to go, and of course the Packard, but neither of them need much.
    No new finished builds we be debuted, just in progress, and previously finished builds. So, I'll have an unusually well rested January. Haha. Or maybe I'll spend some sleepless nights on my stuff.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

First saw the Bob Morris car in the Petersen basement years ago, sure has the proper caretaker, looking forward to seeing the others. Bob

14. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Great build, sucks when the plan is to get it done in a reasonable amount of time and then money and life trip up the project.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. cretin

cretin

So, thanks to some info from @31Vicky with a hemi , I got my trans and torque converter issues figured out, and got the engine and trans bolted together for good. I had to run some errands today, and have the shop Christmas party tonight, so I didn't get to work on it for long, but it feels good to have that issue sorted out.
    So, the plan for tomorrow and Monday is to get the exhaust done, modify my gas tank, measure for a driveshaft, and get some plumbing done. Getting close to putting the body back on.

And, @31Vicky with a hemi , answering your question from my other thread, my trans controller is a OptiShift, which is now USshift. The controller they currently offer is $585.

16. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Don't know how I missed this build. Lots of nice work going on. Subscribed.

17. cretin

cretin

Well, I didn't get as far as I had planned, mostly because I took it easy yesterday, and only worked on the car for a couple hours.
    I got the exhaust all fit, and got most of the exhaust mounts fit.
    The exhaust is super simple because I have the space to make it simple. The harder work is at the front of the exhaust, but it's too dark to take a photo. Sorry all my updates are dark, I hate it getting dark early, and I'm not an early riser. I'll try to snap a few more in the daylight.

Anyway, here is a photo I brightened up.
    IMG_7496.jpg

18. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

I love this thread!!

loudbang and cretin like this.
  19. cretin

cretin

Today didn't go as smoothly as hoped (it rarely does anyway), but none the less, I was able to do most of what I wanted to. I got my driveshaft yesterday, and had planned to install it today, but wasted a lot of time trying to find the U-joint retaining straps to no avail. All the parts stores have the same crappy parts, and none of them fit. Not to mention the employees have no idea what that part is, surprisingly not even my normally knowledgable guy knew.
    Oh well, I'll order some and put it on later.

Went on to wrapping up the exhaust. I had finished fitting everything yesterday, so now it was just time to weld everything up. Got it all welded up and most of it installed. Couldn't install it all because one of my V-band clamps decided it liked being on there and didn't want to come off for me to weld that section. It gave up its threads and had to be cut off, so I'll have to replace it.

Last item was to get the body back on the frame so I can get everything in my portable garage deal to protect it from the rain we are supposed to have the next couple days. I'm racing the clock, trying to get it done while there is still some sunlight. But, get a call that grandpa is having trouble getting up, so I take off to go help get him in bed. So, goodbye sunlight. No matter, bring out the lights and get that thing on there with my sketchy engine hoist body lifter thing, and got her tucked away safe for the rain.

I don't want to leave you without photos, but all I have are the exhaust fit up before welding. And besides, you've all seen a '54 Chevy sitting on it's frame before.

IMG_7501.JPG IMG_7503.JPG IMG_7507.JPG

Stogy, lowcoe, Fern 54 and 4 others like this.
  20. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

Even tiny progress is still progress!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

62hotcat, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. cretin

cretin

Very true! I'm not complaining, just wish things could go a bit smoother once in a while. Haha.
    Things will go smooth at the shop, but for some reason when I'm working on my own stuff, it never goes smooth. Just my luck, it'll just slow me down a bit, not stop me.

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. Did you put that torque converter issue to bed?

loudbang likes this.
  23. Looks great Kyle! I attribute my not so smooth progress to my not having a clue what I am doing too bad you can't do the same.:D

24. cretin

cretin

I did. I mention you and that in post #136. You must have missed it.
    Thanks again!

loudbang likes this.
  25. I did miss it,
    Thank you

loudbang and cretin like this.
  26. Wesa

Wesa
    from Finland

Is there room for starter with exhaust. I'm at the point doing exhaust to my own.

27. cretin

cretin

Yea, plenty of room. The exhaust gets closest to the starter where it goes underneath it. I have about one and a half inches of air gap between them.

Wesa and loudbang like this.
  28. engineman_1

engineman_1

Subscribed! Awesome work Cretin. You're an inspiration, keep the updates coming.

loudbang likes this.
  29. cretin

cretin

Thanks for the kind words.
    I've had some other stuff getting in the way of car stuff for a while, and then was running pretty low on motivation, and doing some non-car stuff. Hopefully I'l get fired up and make some more car progress soon.

Stogy and loudbang like this.