Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Look Back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

A Look Back...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I remember this so well. HRP

upload_2017-12-27_10-25-36.jpeg

RPW, abe lugo, thommoina33 and 4 others like this.
  3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We are driven by art, as we drive our cars

Wishing for a wondrous, artful 2018 to Ryan
    And the rest of the Zoo

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The image of the slick was actually stolen from The Rodder's Journal. Years later, of course, Steve Coonan and I became good buddies and he called me out on it. To me, it's incredibly cool that he never sent a cease and desist or anything like that to the kid in Oklahoma for stealing his work and using it so blatantly. I've always appreciated Steve for that... He is such a good guy... and a good pal.

Germ, dana barlow, RPW and 9 others like this.

5. Nice trip down Memory Lane.:)

6. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I remember being in the college computer lab killing time and stumbling across that slick. After reading your articles and the 'rumpsville' website back then, I realized I wasn't the only one that like Hot Rods and Customs like how they use to be (Before we had to start using "traditional" to distinguish us from the rest of the hobby)

abe lugo, catdad49, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  7. When I first stumbled upon the hamb the mag wheel sucked me in,I was totally unaware there were other people that had the same passion as me for cars that were built in a style that was not what all the big magazines were promoting.

I was out of touch with main stream hot rods,heck I was driving a 4 door Deuce with a flathead & a 3 speed transmission,16" Kelsey Hayes wires and whitewalls and I found a home.

[​IMG]

I lurked for a while before Deuce Roadster (Randy Nash) talked me into joining and as far as I am concerned the Hamb has done nothing but made me even more passionate about the traditional cars. HRP

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

What a trip. I have a lot of memories tied to each one of those photos.

Beig pretty obsessive at times each version of the hamb reminds me of an entire period of my life. Like looking back at photos and seeing a hair cut, a car or a girl friend and that entire year draws into focus.

I started reading the jalopy journal before I could drive and now I’ve got a kid. Pardon the cliche but it all feels like yesterday and a million years ago all at once

9. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

:) #2 and Betty

warbird1 likes this.
  10. I remember most of those. I remember back when I found this place. I was new to on line stuff in general and thought Kool, I don't really have to change to be part of. I'm back where I started and it felt good. What year did the H.A.M.B. actually go on line?

Darryl Deir likes this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great times back then.
    The discovery of a world.
    The realization of needs and desires automotive hidden within.
    The support and lifelong camaraderie that lay ahead.

12. belair

belair

fun stuff. thanks

13. Ryan joined : Jan. 2,1995

HRP

14. Thanks HRP, I had always wondered how late to the party I was. 20 plus years, that's grate.
    The Wizzard

15. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Here's an article I wrote about that in 2012:

More here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=17570

16. Killer

Killer

Bummed you missed the Pokémon version....

Germ, Cword, Tim and 2 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

HAHAHA... I have a screen shot of that somewhere, but I can't find the damned thing. It's one of fifty or so external drives sitting here.

Check out this header though:

12.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I remember that. The crazy thing is, it seems like I have known you guys for a short time and then I start adding it up. Man.

mad mikey, Tman and Sancho like this.
  19. That was a good read Ryan. I have to admit I didn't read it when first pinned. Back then I was still working full time so I just hit the board for some chatter with morning coffee. I remember thinking I knew it all also. Now I only know what I know. Big Change. Hot Rods, Blue Jeans and engineer boots have been my style since High School. Here's what I was driving Way back then.
    32 Studebaker001.jpg Reading your post just now made me remember how Driving it made me feel. Sadly it hasn't been tagged since 1976. Maybe I should go back where it's Resting and turn on the lights. I was in the middle of a re do when Life took over and it got slid back out of the way. Weird how that happened. Seems like just a short time ago.
    The Wizzard

mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  20. Here's a quick and dirty timeline that @Ryan posted back in 2009:

The Jalopy Journal was started on Geocities using Prodigy in the comfort of my dorm room at the University of Oklahoma. Plain text, no images...

Tadpole (RIP), Junebug (Dirty Shirts), Christian (Primer), and Ryan started a newsgroup based around traditional hot rods.

I continually refused to setup a message board after being asked time and time again by the fellas.

I gave in and started a message board. I titled it "The Hokey Ass Message Board" as a joke... "Cuz there is no way this thing is viable medium."

We joined forces with Hot Rod Deluxe and Kustoms by TSR.

Kustoms by TSR bailed (Jason is still considered OG and a good pal) and we decided that we are control freaks and wanted the H.A.M.B. name all to ourselves...

We moved the HAMB to our own servers and started footing the bill. All kinds of bad shit happened and I proved what a poor IT guy I am.

Version 2.0. I hired the GERMAN to handle the servers.

Version 3.0 and the introduction of Grimlok - best pal and visionary.

Version 4.0

Version 5.0 and the introduction of the SPS - a group of fellas volunteering to help me out - all of em heros...

Version 6.0 and The Jalopy Journal is back from the dead... again, but this time for real...

Version 7.0

48fordnut and catdad49 like this.
  21. bring back the slick

Germ and Max Gearhead like this.
  22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How fucking cool is that. You know now!

23. Hemi32, it always impresses me how you guys can find old info. I try to use the Search function but never know how to ask it properly to find what I want. Thanks for posting that up.
    The Wizzard

Poh likes this.
  24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - fantastic history lesson

48fordnut likes this.
  25. I think its only fair that you post some of the graphics that you did not like too. I have one of those stickers don't make me post it. I have some of the issues of TSR as well.

Cword likes this.
  26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I feel old.

Paul and Sancho like this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

HEMI 32 thanks for the history road map....

What I want to know after all these years is the German ?
    Pretty integral part of the HAMB beginning.
    Who is the GERMAN ?
    No one has ever said that I can ever recall.

Moriarity likes this.
  28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

jeez, a large part of my adult life spent with you hooligans...

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans, Much of that before I found the HAMB after someone on a BC traditonal rod board mentioned it.
    Just checking I figured out that tomorrow is my 10th anniversary on here.
    In the bunch that posted earlier I am two guys away from being the new guy. Meaning everyone except two of the above posters have been here longer than I have. That says something in it's self, members tend to stick around.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He was my tech guy and a good buddy... from Germany of course... He got a real job about four years ago or so, but he still helps me every now and then when I run across problems.

Sancho likes this.