Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small garages and how you heat them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duellym, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

My garage is 32 x 40, I installed a furnace in the attic, ran 8 vents in the ceiling. The heat is very even through out the garage, the furnace doesn't take up any floor space and it's very quiet.

2. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry, no pictures.
    My shop is 24x40. I've been slowly insulating it.... if I live long enough, I might get it done, haha!
    I have a portable 100,000 btu radiant propane heater, a little noisy, but works quite well. I also installed 2 ceiling fans. After about 20 minutes, I start shedding winter clothes.

3. If you're thinking of building from scratch and expecting to spend a lot of time inside the garage during cold winters, put in radiant floor heat. Pex tubing in concrete insulated underneath with plenty of blanket material especially made for this. A little pricey up front, but pays for itself in a couple of winters. A 50 gallon hot water heater is all you'll need to operate it, and some are very efficient. Insulate the hell out of the walls, preferably with isocyonate insulation, which seals as well as insulates.

62hotcat and chiro like this.
  4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I'm a big believer in no open flames for heating in a garage. That said, I have a used 15KW (more than necessary) electric home furnace in my 26x28 garage. It is well insulated (R13/R38) and sealed up. I keep it at 45 degrees and even on very cold days (0-10 degrees outside) it doesn't take long to reach a comfortable 60 degree working temp.

Another good option is a high efficiency sealed combustion gas/propane furnace.

osage orange likes this.
  5. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have a 32x32 2 bay shop fully insulated but no heat.I can weld,grind sand,wrench,but no painting or filler work till April!MAYBE NEXT YEAR.

osage orange likes this.
  6. I'm still a fan of fire :) fire 005.jpg

studebaker46, chop job, Poh and 3 others like this.
  7. indyjps

indyjps

Its worth blowing it in the attic even if you have to cut an access hole. Not fun, but makes a big difference.

osage orange likes this.
  8. I've got a 24' x 36' well insulated shop. I use a"Mini-split" heat pump/ac unit. It's 3* outside and 52* inside. Not bad for working but kinda chilly for f@cking off. I just rounded up the stuff for a wall mount ventless unit, I've got find the right spot tho.

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1711.JPG IMG_1712.JPG IMG_1709.PNG

Rich B. and stillrunners like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

Hot water, in-floor heat is what I have in the 26' X 32' "workshop" portion of my concrete block shop. If I were doing it again I would do a few things differently, but I did it without any knowledgeable input since I couldn't find anyone doing it at the time. I used 500' of 3/4" polybutylene (I think that's the type....it's grey) and separated it into two loops that run in opposite directions through the shop floor. Unfortunately I didn't use any insulation under the concrete slab since I didn't know any better. The reinforcing mesh is above the gravel base with the tubing on top of the mesh and then about 4 or 5" of concrete. It's heated by a 40 Gal. domestic water heater turned way down and is circulated at 70-80 degrees F 24/7 through the heating season. If it's really cold for an extended time, I might have turned the water heater up to about 90 degrees, but that's rare here in SE Missouri. The shop stays about mid-50 degrees and is comfortable in shirt sleeves if you're busy doing anything at all. One fantastic side benefit is that the floor never "sweats" in the Springtime when there's big swings in temp and humidity. I wouldn't have anything else. No noise and no drafts.

Lynn

osage orange likes this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That s the same heater that I have in my 24X30 insulated garage and it does a very good job of heating it!

11. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Except for maybe radiant heat, if you have any ceiling height at all you should also run ceiling fans with your heat. You would be surprised at the temp difference between floor and ceiling especially at the roof peak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

30' x 40' x 12' insulated and one Reznor 75,000 BTU propane heater hung in the corner. Works well.

13. Another true believer in radiant floor heating! That insulation blanket really helps. I've got radiant floor heat in the basement guest room and, while the water heater is now pooped out after 14 years, I'll just replace it soon and go at it again. The insulation blanket, a three-layer quilted thing with waterproof mylar on the bottom, really makes a difference in efficiency. Putting the same radiant heat system in the driveway pad or the front steps also is a great idea, especially when you can turn a valve to run the heat outside for that quick thaw, then shut the valve once the snow or ice is clear. Think about it, old guys like me. No heart attacks from shoveling snow!

Poh likes this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We have a two car garage that is relatively small. (not like our three car garage in another house we used to own. That giant garage had a full length wall of cabinets and a long work counter/cabinet unit with individual doors/cabinets. Each cabinet was for the drill press, table saw, band saw, grinding/buffing motor, etc.) In this current smaller house where the workplace is, it has a small section with a counter and cabinets. Downsizing has its advantages and not a lot of space.

The small garage can get cold, so we tried the famous Vornado space heater. It is small and heated up quite well. But, it was so noisy, it became bothersome. (became a garage sale item.) The fan unit blows air/heat all over in a single direction, but supposedly circulates. Good, but the noise was even hard to drown out with some great music. Sorry, I don't like headphones while working.

upload_2017-12-27_4-5-19.png Vornado 700 to 1500 watts
    Then we walked by a display in Costco that surprised us. We weren’t in the shopping stage for a heater on this trip. It was because of the heat actually coming within 3 feet from the stacks. (at the end of the row of tools and supplies) For a heater, it was so silent it was amazing and the heat was impressive. We did not give it a second look and kept walking.

Months later, I decided to work in the garage in the late afternoon and it was cold. We did not have a heater, so that job lasted two minutes and was put off until it got warmer outside. We immediately went to Costco to get the large parabolic heater that was silent. (Costco no longer sells the large heater)
    upload_2017-12-27_4-6-10.png a generic parabolic heater: noise less and with a safety tip over switch
    We decided to get a small 9 inch parabolic heater as it reminded us of the one from Costco. Initially, it heated up the area where I was working and it was fine. (At the end of the counter, directly aimed at me.) No noise, just heat. It made my wife happy as it could easily be stored in a standard garage cabinet. But, with the local winds swirling around the garage, this heater was fighting a battle it was not going to win. (and it took up valuable counter space)
    upload_2017-12-27_4-7-54.png 9 inch Optimus 300 WATTs
    upload_2017-12-27_4-8-30.png 14 inch Optimus 800 AND 1200 WATTS
    So the decision to buy a larger version was made and the new 14 inch size gave off more heat from the floor and worked beautifully. (still fits inside of a cabinet for storage) Problem solved. We gave the small 9 inch heater to a friend who puts it under an office desk area where she sits and she is fine with that. Two problems solved. Both very silent and goes unnoticed.

Jnaki

The safety features are the same for most heaters, but the parabolic ones are silent and work well. If you accidentally knock it over, it shuts off. But, if it gets that cold in the garage, the job gets put off until it becomes warmer, unless the item has to be made by a certain date (Christmas, etc.) These small parabolic heaters are perfect for cabins of small sailboats or powerboats, too.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are neat electric heaters. Probably won't help me much as it is 28 DEGREES BELOW ZERO here this morning. We have special needs here in Minnesota; I don't think I'll be going to the shop (or anywhere) today.:mad:

jnaki likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hey TM,
    YES, definitely you are in a different world back there. It hasn't snowed in coastal So Cal since 1949 and that was barely under a half inch. That is piddly compared to in your neck of the USA. In 1949 we had just moved from a small government trailer park to our first home in Long Beach. (Craftsman style with a 4 car garage in the back, including a bachelor pad and a large yard. It is currently an elementary school !) The coldest month is January and it averages mid 40's late at night. The absolute coldest was 20 degrees in 1974.

I thought it was a miracle to see snow covering our whole yard in 1949. There was enough to make a snowman...in So Cal, no doubt. In the mountains, yes, mucho snow during the winter season. But, we coastal folks are happy when it hails enough for a teeny snowman to attack the neighborhood rabbits.

Jnaki
    We are either lucky to live where we are or unlucky with the floods, fires, earthquakes and traffic.

So, yes, those parabolic heaters do the job for most colder times in So Cal. But, they will heat up your comfortable, indoor workplace room without having a whole house furnace blasting away.

Stay warm and safe...
    It was cold in So Cal on this day:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

homemade waste oil furnace. I've since added a small blower to add combustion air. it works well, but I NEVER leave the garage when it's burning. CIMG6515.JPG

Poh and chop job like this.
  18. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

But it's all about how you spend it eh?
    This sure makes clean up easier. No ashes.
    20171226_094939.jpg
    Bonus points if anyone recognizes the makes..
    20171226_095002.jpg

Attached Files:

19. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

OK, we are spoiled here,,, I have a 30 X 40 metal shop and the only insulation is in the roof to keep the summer heat out,, I haven't got around to building the 10 X 12 sliding front door so it get a little breezy with our frigid 65 degree days and 40 degree nights. So a sweatshirt until it warms up takes care of most of our terrible weather.
    Now, my office that is part of the shop, does get chilly sitting at the computer, so a HF heater topped 5 gallon propane heater takes off the chill.
    It's tough in So Cal

jnaki likes this.
  20. carryallman

carryallman

thought id show a pic of a new radiant heater i just bought for a minimal insulated pole bldg. it seems to do a good job,but i thougth id try it-this winter -got several projects to do ! this bldg has my shear/brake & 4 post hoist also the pullmax & big wire welder !i got a 30x30 garage w/ a house furnace ,that has my bridgeport & big lathe BUT not much room for a big car project ! anyway let me try to post a pic of the heater!

Attached Files:

studebaker46 likes this.
  21. question for you guys that burn wood , used oil or a Knipco heater ....can i assume you only start up the heat when you are going to work and it's freezing in the shop the rest of the time? do you get a lot of condensation on stuff? that has been my experience if you do not heat full time

i heat with a Reznor natural gas hanging unit heater. it is vented to the outside through the roof. i turn it on in the start of winter and leave it on until spring. the thermostat goes down to 45 degrees and that is where i set it , bump it up a bit before working. it is always above freezing. i think it's worth the small amount of money to heat full time

22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Anyone play with a rocket heater ? I think to do one properly would take to much space as to work effectively you got to have a big heated mass to radiate from. But I guess you burn for a couple hours and then let the fire die and the mass continues to radiate heat for quite a few hours after that.

I guess in a lot of well insulated houses you only burn 8 to 10 hrs daily. Save a lot of wood that way.

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My buddy just built one in his shop.
    It's a masonry wood stove with several cross over smoke chambers.
    The though is to burn one hot fire and let it burn out then the heat radiates from the mass of the stove.
    It got down in the single digits last night so I think I will stop by on my way home and see how it did and maybe gets some pictures for you guys.

25. I have a P.Tact unit like the motels have it has A.C. and heat. When it get below 30 degrees I kick on a small torpedo heater in with it but leave the door cracked for fresh air.Bruce. 003.JPG

26. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  27. crosswindjoe

crosswindjoe

I have a 24’x24’ shop. It has r15 insulation in the wall and r21 in the ceiling. There is a studio apartment on the 2nd level. It has a 1 ton mini split heat pump on the 2nd level and a ton and half in the shop. These units are very efficient. 21.5 seer in shop and 21 seer in the shop.

These units are available on line and easy to install.

28. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I built a 24x36 shop and later added another 24x36 with a walk through door connecting them. First one has a 10 ft ceiling, second has a 13 1/2 ft ceiling. I need to blow insulation in the tall ceiling, haven't got that done yet. I bought the biggest wood furnace Tractor Supply had, I ran one 8 in pipe to the other side and just stuck a elbow on it for the side I put the stove in. It has 2 big blowers. I keep fire in it all the time, it shuts up tight with no worries. If I ever quit burning wood, I'll go to a pellet stove.

29. southcross2631

southcross2631

I usually just wait until about 10 am when it gets cold. By that time the sun has started to warm up the metal walls of my 30x50 shop. Somedays it is not warm enough to paint so I do something else.

30. Drewski

Drewski

I've used this old Ashley stove in my garage for the last 30 years. Low 20's outside today, 78 in my shop. I usually load the stove early in the morning, running the thermostat for more heat and cut it back after the shop comes up to temp. By the late afternoon there are usually only glowing coals left in the stove. If I'm burning hardwoods, I only load it one time during the day that I'm in the shop. Yes, wood can be dangerous.......leaving the ash door open and forgetting it would be a great way to over fire the stove and potentially burn down your shop. P1010261.JPG