Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical motor mount problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Alaska Jim, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

my project 29 roadster on a kiwi Konnection pinched frame has been going slowly but steady. we mocked up the engine placement and found that the frame is a little narrower than we thought and we have a slight problem with the motor mounts.you can see in the enclosed picture that the water pump rubber biscuit mount and washers are sitting on the frame. this has the eng. a bit high in the front and we would like it to be level.does any one have any ideas, other than cutting into the frame and making a " notch/ pocket to make a mount plate. any one else have this problem, and if you did how did you solve it? Thanks for any help and suggestions-----Jim motor mount problem.jpg motor mount problem.jpg motor mount problem.jpg

2. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

sorry about the multiple pictures, not sure what happened.

3. broderickron

broderickron
    from Utah

What motor are u running? Can u take a side view picture

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Flathead, I will not be able to post any other pictures of it for a few days the car is in my brothers shop 50 miles away. here are the only other pictures I have at the moment

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    kadillackid and Deucedreamer like this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'49/'51 Mercury water pumps have the same style engine mount 'arm' but the arm is about 1 1/4" higher on the pump body. That would lower the engine relative to the frame rail. The Merc pumps would fit '48/'53 truck and '49/'53 car blocks for sure. Not sure if they also fit earlier blocks.

Ray

broderickron, Tim_with_a_T and pitman like this.
  6. uncle buck

uncle buck

Do some comparisons of flathead water pumps. I think you may have later 8ba water pumps that mount farther out.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. cretin

cretin

I don't think you have a lot of options if you don't want to cut into the frame.
    You could change your mounting arrangement. Two solutions I see are re-drilling the mounting tabs on the water pumps and moving the rubber mount inboard.
    Or you could completely change the mounting configuration. Here is a photo of a mounting plate bolted to the front of a Lincoln flathead. It shares the bolts with the water pumps.

IMG_2639.jpg

That being said, I would probably modify the frame in your case.

That is also some good info from @Hnstray and @uncle buck I didn't know they had differences like that.

8. haileyp1014

haileyp1014
    from so cal

Kiwi konnection and squeak bell haven't been around for 10 years. I'd say cut into the frame and make some quarter cups.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm cheap so I'd just relocate the holes (and cut off excess material) on the water pump's so mount's fit between the frame rail's.

timwhit likes this.
  10. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

The water pumps are from speedway and are supposed to be truck pumps are are supposed to be the recommended pumps ( forget where I read this ) for putting a flathead V8 in this application. I am aware of the differences in most of the flathead pumps, especially the 49-51 Merc. pumps. I have a '51 Merc, and I do have a spare set I could try, but the pumps that are on the block now look to give me the most clearance possible for room for the blower belt. haven't worked out the Alt. and fan problems yet , I haven't got that far. thanks for the suggestions.

11. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I bought this frame last year. Duane Jones is still working under the name of California Roadster Co. / Kiwi Konnection

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Redrill the the ones you have inboard and cut of the excess material if you have clearance....

13. joee

joee

why not just cut the rubber biscuit down ?

14. Notch the frame and weld a piece of tubing in there like a C notch only vertical then you can drop the engine in where you want it. It will look kind of trick too.

Hnstray, slimcat7m3 and biggeorge like this.
  15. mohead1

mohead1

Notch frame, it wont affect strength if boxed back in

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Look at '55 Chevy V8 front motor mount rubber biscuits, I've used these for different applications.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I agree with Beaner..Take your time and do a neat job and it will look and perform fine..Just be sure your drag link/pittman arm will clear engine pieces..

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I would us go with Cretin's suggestion. I can't see a boxing plate on the inside of the rail and it would be simple to cut a notch slightly larger than the outside of the biscuit and fab up a mount the right height with a curved piece fitted to the inside and slick it off to look like it was designed that way to begin with.

19. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

An ever present problem with pinched frames no matter who made them.

X38 and 48stude like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That might be the 10.00 fix That solves the issues. I used them for body mount pads when I swapped frames under my old 51 Merc.

Still the rounded notch, boxing it in and lowering the mount is probably a no cash outlay mod that only takes a couple of hours of time and digging in the metal bucket/bin for a piece that you can make the filler out of. If the frame is boxed you could make the filler on the bench finish it somewhat and put it in place and weld it in.

golferforpar likes this.
  21. alchemy

alchemy

I'd either do Eastwood's suggestion or Beaner's in second place.

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

We're all sitting here screaming for Vanna White to turn over that last letter to see who has the right answer.

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

They are all the "right" answers! Different people have different perspectives on how things should/could be done. In the end, the motor mounts have to keep the motor in the correct position. Alaska Jim now has a few options to choose from, which is what he was looking for. Gene

Alaska Jim, 48stude and Budget36 like this.
  24. oldolds

oldolds

I would not cut the pump and redrill those holes. You will ruin the core value and never be able to just replace the pump on the side of the road. Oh wait, he is in Alaska. He better have the pump with him to replace it! lol

Alaska Jim likes this.
  25. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

You bet, you need to carry spares , and tools

26. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my question. I now have several options, plus mine and my brothers ideas to go on. we have not made any decisions yet, but I do not think we will modify the pumps unless all else looks undoable . I do like porknbeaners idea. it is similar to one my brother and I have considered. when we finally get to it and finish it up, ( it will be awhile ) I will post pictures of what we decide. Thank you all.----Jim

AlaskanMatt likes this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Seems like a pretty easy solution. Buy some thick plate washers the same diameter as the rubber on the mount and bolt them to the bottom of the mount. Set engine back on frame. Draw a line where they intersect the frame on each side. This gives you your mounting position as well as how much to cut off the washer so it's flush with the frame. Weld the cut washer flush with the top of the frame( bevel the washer where it is to be welded to the frame so it can be ground flush) and add any support legs as necessary to the bottom of the washer. Your mount is done. A portion of the rubber will set on the frame but the mounting bolt will pass through on the inside.

29AVEE8 likes this.