Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body Rotisserie?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The37Kid, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Ahh,
    Words of wisdom

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Many years ago, when I first started my fabrication business, I built farm gates and hay rings. I didn't have access to a tubing roller to make "hoops" so I built the rings either 6 or 8 sided (can't remember for sure) by cutting the tubing at the appropriate angles to make 360 degrees. I used 16 Ga. 1 3/4" tube, like mentioned above. The hex or octagon shape would solve the issue of rolling around without needing a carriage of any sort too. Just a thought.

FWIW....I probably didn't really make any $$ on the hay rings, but it helped get my name and business in front of a lot of people.

Lynn

The37Kid and klleetrucking like this.
  3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Octagon Hay Rings, I think you just answered the problem, they can't roll away in a garage.:) :confused::rolleyes:Merry Christmas! Bob .....................just noticed the title spelling correction, nothing I did, must have been Santa.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  4. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

How about the lope for s trampoline I see them out for the trash once in awhile. Bolt together the slip joints and then take apart and store when not needed.Its thick wall tubing too

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I keep checking the metal pile at the local dump, no luck so far, think the 2/4 octagon route is the way this carpenter is going to go.;) Bob

6. 2x6's might be better so the corners can be rounded more to make it easier when you want to rotate it.

7. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

2x3 steel then cut and round the corners. I'm not sure I would trust wood unless it's doubled up, screwed, and glued with PL.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Wood is a lot easier if you have a chop saw, screw gun, and glue.............and no welder.;) Bob

Loose Ctrl likes this.
  9. Loose Ctrl

Loose Ctrl
    from Upstate,SC

True for sure. I figure if someone is going to roto a vehicle, they'll have a welder to take care of the bodywork. The whole roto idea for me is to make bodywork easier.

10. bct

bct

I watched a couple guys redo a rolled 4runner . The hoops were only 3/4 of a circle and bolted at one end to the lug nuts . They did one side then flipped them to the other.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I made this out of the same mild steel dcp0448.jpg dcp0447.jpg we used for roll bars , it works good ,easily turns a car over with one person.I set it up so I could turn it 45 degrees and it would be stable there also.

Loose Ctrl likes this.
  12. Hey BCT,
    Your private messages are some how turned off.

bct likes this.
  13. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

How about a video or some pics on how you're able to rotate that?

14. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

No video. Just grab one end and rotate it , Vega was body only with windows, no idea of weight . I use this for building trailers also . It sets at a 45 degree very well also .You need a diaganol brace so it doesn't rack to one end . Ceiling height needs to be Considered.Slide across floor and even outside easily. By the way I always mount it with the center at Camshaft height . It could get ugly if you rotated it and the center of gravity was way to high or too low.

15. bct

bct

thanks for filling me in . I recently posted some stuff for sale so now I need the message system.