Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine angles??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ponchoguy65, Dec 23, 2017.

1. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

Didn't see it mentioned...
    A 'U' formation can also be used. Tail shaft and pinion both pointing up or down. The angles of the two U-joints operating angle is what matters. No less than .5° to keep the bearings in the U-joint spinning/lubricated and no more than 3.5° to keep the U joint from binding and knuckling over.
    And the front and rear U-joints should not be more than .5° difference. More than this and the input and output speeds will not be the same. Driveshaft velocity will always be different due to the sinusoidal affect from the U joints function.

Use this handy tool to quickly find your operating angles.
    http://spicerparts.com/calculators/driveline-operating-angle-calculator

Don't forget you will also want to make sure the U-joints are also in phase in plan view(looking top down). This is usually assumed to be correct but always worth checking, especially with drivetrain swaps.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I respectfully disagree. If one knows the desired ride height of the chassis that should first be set..then the engine trans
    placed at desired angle and then the pinion angle adjusted to suit. In this case, it seems the OP has a stock or near stock vehicle, but with unleaded suspension. Hence the recommendation to level the frame as a starting point to get the engine/trans angle correct. It seems the new motor mounts are affecting the engine/trans centerline. Once that is corrected, likely as not, the pinion angle will be correct or very close.

Ray

3. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I get what you mean now, it should be level, but for some reason it is not. I stand corrected. :)

4. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Thanks for all the replies guys I appreciate all the help!! Here are some pics of my motor mounts I have shimmed the crossmember about 1/2 inch to correct the angle a bit and it helped alot but I don't want to short cut anything here so if the mounts need correction ill have to fix it.... Also if its worth mentioning I do have a bell tech gto spring and shock set up supposed to be stock ride height but on my 15s the car sits slightly higher in front without passengers and looks kinda funny to me haha thanks again this has been a great learning experience so far!

5. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

The mounts

Attached Files:

6. Ponchoguy65

Ponchoguy65
    from Midland,TX

Also the crossmember was moved rearward on the frame when the swap was made from 2 speed to the th400

7. Did you put the driveshaft in , or at least the yoke? Might be pretty close to the floorboard.
    Pictures?