Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 51 Mercury project or how to ruin a perfectly good car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the man, Jan 7, 2017.

1. It’s been awhile since a update. So I guess I will fill ya in. Got my head lights and grill sorted out. Ended up making a whole pan for the grill and redid the headlights. Not totally happy with the grill but the wife likes it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigRRR, kadillackid, Tjompen and 7 others like this.
  2. Then I redid my quarters. Wasn’t happy with them. Now hopefully I can work on paint. Slow slow slow

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

40FORDPU, 55Deso, Outback and 3 others like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

CONGRATS on building such a nice looking merc.
    Looks great.

4. Wow, nice work! What color are you painting it?

5. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Terrific work! Looking forward to more updates.

6. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

aall the work is looking good!

7. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Can't really add anything to what's been said about your awesome work, but you sure are doing an incredible job on this Merc!

8. Von Brush

Von Brush
    from Corfu, NY

You must be from the West coast. Onnlly east coast rodders can appreciate the beauty of the fender skirt!

Sent from my 9024W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. 392

Impressive.

11. doug j

doug j

12. I’m working on this beast. Finally sprayed it. And realized my painting skills are sub par for sure. Oh well it’s good for now. I’m pushing to get the car driving for lone star. Afterward I will fix a few spots I missed (after I get my glasses) and do some panels and pinstripes. Still working on upholstery. My headliner is killing me. Working in a chopped car is a little hard.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

chryslerfan55, drdave and Squablow like this.
  13. Cause everyone needs at least two projects going at any one time. When you get stuck or frustrated with one you just go work on the other....

40FORDPU, the man and drdave like this.
  14. Headliners are hard. Mine are my lunch a couple years ago when I gave it a go. There’s a headliner up there, but I really need to pull it out and try again. Lol. Looking forward to seeing your ride in Austin!!!

15. Finally got this beast out of the garage. Been parked since oct. feels nice to go for a drive. Need to button up a million things as always. It’s going to be my daily very soon. As I need to get to work on my shop truck. Hard to believe it was a 4 door I almost forgot. Time to drive this beast. See you guys at the lone star round up. Stop by and introduce your selves.

. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

16. japchris

japchris
    from England

You've really nailed the look I like - just plain sinister!
    sinister
    ˈsɪnɪstə/
    adjective
    adjective: sinister
    1. 1.
      giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen.
      "there was something sinister about that murmuring voice"
      synonyms: menacing, threatening, ominous, forbidding, baleful, frightening, eerie, alarming, disturbing, disquieting, dark, black, suggestive of evil, evil-looking;
      ill-omened, inauspicious, unpropitious, portentous;
      eldritch.

17. IMG_7039.JPG IMG_7036.JPG IMG_7111.JPG IMG_7102.JPG

I got my grill done. Still monkeying around with somethings. What is everyone doing for steering. My box is real loose. IMG_7383.JPG IMG_7382.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

drdave, Squablow and 40FORDPU like this.
  18. My merc has summer steering. Summer over here and summer over there. So I did some research and upgraded my steering box . I found out that a 99 Jeep Cherokee is almost perfect. I had to drill new holes and You have to flip the Pitman arm 180°. It has a double D shaft and i ended up with about 3/4 of an inch more header clearance. I also converted to a chevelle pitman arm. Drives like a dream. I don’t have a power steering pump at the moment.

[​IMG]

Barons hotrods and kustoms fb
    Baronmetal ig

19. I had to sell off big blue. I spent too much money building my shop. It’s the way it go’s sometimes. I believe it’s on it’s way to Australia. But I found me a new barn find just waiting for some slicing and dicing.
    Stay tuned.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

There's a time & season for these things, i look forward to seeing the car out here!

21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Not again!!! Please let us know where to find the new thread.