Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Oh, Christmas Tree, Oh, Chrondek Christmas Tree...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A.D.D., Dec 23, 2017.

1. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Finally got the tree up in my shop:

20171221_182646.jpg

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very cool, the only thing missing is Buster Couch in a Santa suit.

Gizzy and mad mikey like this.
  3. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Buster Couch! Wow, haven't heard that name in a while!

I was inspired by the old Cartoon... FB_IMG_1513669332813.jpg

ct1932ford, mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  4. Merry Christmas from The Hot Rod Grille as we light our tree!

Tree in garage 1.jpg

5. Deuces

Deuces

I think I could nail a low reaction time....:D

Merry Christmas! :)

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  6. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

That's AWESOME HotRodGrille!

I built mine a few days ago out of scrap from cabinets I tore out during my shop remodel. Would love to have an original!

Is yours an original Chrondek? If so, do you know what track it came from?
    Absolutely too cool!

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

would a red light be Rudolph's nose?

8. Thanks for the comments! I spent several years trying to locate the original one from the local track that closed in the mid-70's (Kanawha Valley Drag Strip located in Winfield, WV). We finally located two of the original bulbs in a dump on the property and got confirmation that the "tree" had been destroyed. A buddy and I then decided to each build a copy of that tree. We researched the Chrondek patent data files to get all of the measurements and details of what materials were used in the construction. We replicated the trees down to the smallest details (like the data plate, proper Chrondek font and the gate hinges that attach the upper and lower parts together). The only difference is that we use an internally-mounted PLC to make the tree flash in a realistic pattern. We displayed one of the trees at the Charleston Rod Run & Doo Wop car show in the Racer Row area and had a guy argue that it HAD to be the original tree from the Winfield track. "Big Daddy" was at the show and autographed the tree as seen in the pic below! Today the trees sit in The Hot Rod Grille Garage and my buddies garage except for occasional appearances at the WV Drag Racer Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

RR&DW tree pic 2.jpg KVDS decal 2.jpg Chrondek 1.jpg Chrondek 3.jpg

9. Deuces

Deuces

Very neat!!!!... :cool:

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 'tree is something not everybody understands, which of course is very kool. I wonder how many dogs were named "Chrondek" over the years? And "Buster Couch"? Yeah, he was certainly the boss up there. Love it, awesome topic. Merry Christmas, nice trees.

mad mikey likes this.
  11. Very Christmas cool trees ! Makes me want to pull my coupe into the water box right now. LOL.;)

12. flamin01a

flamin01a

Lets talk about Buster! Word was he was hired by NHRA to change racers minds on the starting line. Another story was when he had to find electrical wire to wire up the first tree. He went to a hardware store to buy the wire. He found the hardware store okay, but he did not know how to get back since it wasn't in Atlanta. He called a taxi cab and followed it back to the drag strip! Any more stories?

13. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

HotRodGrille, wow, that is really cool! I would like to build a replica for my shop as well. I will likely contact you if that's OK?

Buster Couch was a real CHARACTER (as in, larger than life). I heard he took shrapnel from Grenading Gassers as a flagger!

Happy Holidays!

14. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    Put my tree up last night.

15. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

Santa paid me a visit! 20171224_175700.jpg

16. Robert1555

Robert1555

17. Robert1555

Robert1555

Would you share what the Chrondek font is? Great job on the re-creation of the original tree!

18. Thanks for the comments! It appears that the original font was something created by Chrondek and not a "regular" style. I had a local artist (S&S Signs & Shirts) recreate the logo from close-up pics of original "trees". He spent quite a bit of time and effort to make it authentic, but I feel it was one detail that had to be done correctly.