Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Spalding Bros Repro, for "Too Tall" Ganahl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jul 13, 2015.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'd say if Pat wanted perfection he got it.
    I think you nailed it Marty!

loudbang likes this.
  3. Outstanding!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Love that exhaust! Beautiful and quality work.

loudbang likes this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D That exhaust is just perfect.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That exhaust would have surface rust all over it before I could stop staring and drag myself to the next step.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  7. Any close ups of that and the instructions?

8. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

Robert, You can enlarge the photos on your screen. But what you see is it. This was an esoteric dry sump system made using a stock pickup and a GMC pump mounted and driven off the front of the cam. There were no "instructions" for it or the modified pan. And I've never seen these in the Wayne catalogs. Not sure how you could make a dry sump with just one pump. Usually you need a scavenge pump from the pan to an oil tank, and then a pressure pump(s) to feed oil from the tank to the engine. That's about all I know. P.G.

loudbang likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pat, when I ran a Pontiac overhead cam engine in my roadster which Vic Enyart had gotten from Eddie Meyers boat racing days had a dry sump system using 2 stock oil pumps end to end, belt driver, pretty ingenious. Vic replaced with a Weaver or Barnes but I'm sure it worked well.
    There are many cast iron stand alone oil pumps we used in power plants that I considered running as external oil pumps on my GMC's but didn't because they did not have bypass's. You easily do one for less than $50, a far cry from a single stage from one of the many manufacturers. J.D.​

10. Thanks, when I enlarge it the pan part get cut off.:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

check your conversations.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got the rear exhaust hanger mounted today, I wanted it mounted to the frame for solid support. Using some 5/8" 4130 tube, with a threaded insert in one end, connected to the body mount as well. It should do the job. Side nerfs are next. IMG_0970.JPG IMG_0971.JPG IMG_0972.JPG IMG_0975.JPG IMG_0976.JPG IMG_0978.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

1947knuck, tractorguy, Tim and 18 others like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Very nice.
    I've seen some pipes held down by a "screen door spring" to allow a little give from engine and chassis twist, much like your floating bushings do.

loudbang likes this.
  14. I'm impressed that the little hand bender will bend 5/8" Chromoly.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Shure as hell hope I get to HEAR this thing one day, that pipe with that engine,...

6-bangertim, tractorguy and loudbang like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I hadn't tried it on Chromoly before, but it turned out a nice, uniform bend.

1947knuck, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I got started on the side nerf bars today. I love the way the passenger side parallels the exhaust pipe. As in some of my other posts, I made a shoe liner for my 1" X 4" radius die, to bend 7/8" tube. I followed with laying out a radius guage from cardboard, to make a pattern of the shape that was required to locate bend starts on the tube. The first tube has 2 bends, one is over 90 degrees and the other is under 90, with the legs parallel. IMG_1004.JPG As always, I get nervous when drilling, or cutting holes in Pat's precious sheet metal, with the chance of making a mistake on the hole centers. So far, so good, I will tackle the lower portion tomorrow! IMG_0986.JPG IMG_0988.JPG IMG_0991.JPG IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0995.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG IMG_1002.JPG Spalding head-on( best).jpg Spalding 3.jpg

18. alchemy

alchemy

I wonder why the windshield is off center on the original car?

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Because the mud off of the guy's tires you are following, will spray you in the corners.

20. alchemy

alchemy

But with all the perfect detail on all the rest of the car, couldn't they have just widened it a bit more on the short side so it matched?

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

They ran it on some 1 mile ovals, such as Phoenix, maybe they didn't want the extra drag.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Perfect functional detail ;) it’s still a race car afterall

Bowtie Coupe, brad2v and loudbang like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now, with the lower tube in place. Next the mountings, and the curlicue tube to connect the lower rear mount, IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG IMG_1011.JPG IMG_1012.JPG

24. loudbang

loudbang

You are a metal massaging master. :)

25. This is amazing!

loudbang likes this.
  26. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hi Marty,
    Outstanding. The engineering, quality of workmanship and attention to detail on your build is second to none.
    The torsion bar front end has me hooked. I might be doing something similar after being inspired by what you have done. Could you post some pics of the method you used to connect the torsion arms to the axle please. Did you have to allow some sort of slip joint to ensure there is no binding during suspension travel? I am not saying there will be binding in your design. Just wondering if it is a concern or not.
    Thanks for inspiring me and no doubt many others.
    Steve.

27. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Also off your own right front once you get it cranked around in a corner.

Robert J. Palmer and loudbang like this.
  28. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there Marty, as you know the Spalding Brothers were AMAZING!
    Have a couple of Spalding Flame Throwers, awesome stuff!
    I have been looking at the photo's of the Spalding track roadster that you and Pat Ganahl are replicating in the book Merchants of Speed, and have always had a soft spot for Wayne headed chevy's or GMC 6's.
    Can you please say hello to Pat for me, as I have always loved his articles over the years, a talented journalist, and has helped thousands of rodders with there projects!
    I'm in to early Hemi's, and have a few rare bits that are not forsale, but have never seen a Wayne head in the flesh, but they are were way a head of their time, as were many parts built in the 50's like Howards 430 Linc with Hemi rail with special hemi heads!
    I respect the early rodding pioneers and the pioneering parts manufactures with great admiration and their amazing talents, that produced awesome speed parts we all know seek for our traditional hot rods!
    Life building rods know would be very boring without there great efforts and parts, and great articles in mags with info which is THE MOST!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all Rodders! Brett

29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hi Steve, Welcome to the HAMB. If you look in the earlier posts, you will see your concern addressed. On both the front and rear arms on the right side, they are slotted to allow the suspension movement, just like the original car.

1947knuck, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  30. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there Pat, I have been in awe of your Hot rod "how too" articles for decades!
    Also in awe of your Spalding replica, absolutely AMAZING STUFF!
    I think Dave Zeuscel did a lot of Chevy and GMC 6 hop up work?, so have a few books with photos of these engines he was working on, so will look them up for you if you want?
    Always a big fan of Wayne Chevy stuff and 50's Chevy fleetlines and Willy's coupes, trucks and early hemi speed gear!
    I think I have seen a photo of Gotha rocker arms for Chevy's or maybe McGurk?
    I like the 31 Chev coupe and roadster of Steve Centracchio with GMC in the roadster, and 261 Chev in the coupe, WOW , THE MOST! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Brett