Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did they ever really make this intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jan 3, 2006.

1. LowRollerChevy

LowRollerChevy
    from western ny

fine - mass produced electronic fuel injection ....

i realize that mechanical fuel injection on diesels was invented during or even before the first decade of the 1900's, but electronic FI was invented in the mid 60's, and didnt REALY come into use until emissions standards went into effect .....

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'd gladly take the Holley tri-power off my 435 hp 427 thats going in my '32 5w to run that intake. Wanna do a trade?:eek: :cool: :D

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. twofosho

twofosho

Electronic fuel injection as we know it was invented and first produced by Bendix in the mid 50's for Chrysler and Rambler. They put a handfull on the Chryco cars (high teens) in 58. Someone just restored a car with one (showed up in a bunch of magazines a while back). I seem to recall Bosch bought or leased the patents (for use on Volkswagens) in the 70's in an effort to meet smog laws, and all "modern EFI" evolved from there.
    And you're right, the Pontiac injection was Rochester constant flow (very similar, but not the same as Corvette). The Pontiac had the fuel meter mounted under the doghouse, not on the side of it, and was driven with a short straight (about 6") driveshaft off the distributor. The 57 used a formed steel tube doghouse and the 58 used a very Corvette like smooth top cast aluminum one. The whole thing was set in a sealed shroud with a duct through the radiator core support to provide cold or preheated (for warmup) filtered air (sounds pretty modern doesn't it?) to the unit and the fuel nozzles, as opposed to the way Chevy filtered theirs.
    Sorry for highjacking your post, just trying to set the record straight.

4. jeeze. I just bought a 6x2 and thought I was hot snot. Now I'm a chump with 6 2s just like EVERYBODY else!

great find! don't split it up. Run it!

:D

Clay Belt likes this.
  5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Well, Edelbrock listed a 6x2 cross ram for big block Chevy engines in their 1969 catalog...

Here's what the intake likely started out as if it was modified from a 6x2...

Attached Files:

6. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Unless I missed it somewhere here on the post and somebody already told you ,you just might have an OCTOGAS manifold set up wish I had pics to post because my A/A coupe the Emulsifier had 8 carbs on a 392 in 1960 the manifold was an OCTOGAS log type built speciffically for 8- 2 bbl. carbs the club also ran one on the 430 Merc. mill that replaced the 392 unfortunatly i got the club car some 20 years later less engine and trans.There's a pic posted on hamb under the emulsifier name theres a build plaque of the engine on the wall behind the car in the magazine you can read the plaque with a magnafing glass and the induction is named there.I don't know who manufactured it Edelbroc etc.

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm not familiar with the Octagas intake. I've had a few 8x2's though....an Edelbrock 8x2 for a 426 Hemi, an 8x2 U-fab for a Lincoln 430, an 8x2 Weiand Drag Star for a 430 Lincoln, and now this one. It's sitting in front of me right now and I'm going to guess it's an Edelbrock. It was pretty clearly a 6x2 cross ram but the top plate was carefully removed and replaced with an 8x2 top plate. It was ground smooth and the whole intake was metalflaked kind of a silver gold. It was an extremely well done job. The carbs are all Big Number Stromberg 97's and the straight linkage is a little undoable for the street but that is easily changed. It's got one long fuel block with 8 fuel lines stemming from it. It's badass. But the answer to...was this made by the factory? Is No. I'd guess from the workmanship and the flake that this was on a show car at some point. I'd love to know the history of it still.

kadillackid likes this.
  8. My X4 intake is shown in Fat Hack's post above.
    Max

9. Brett Wells

Brett Wells

Hi there, I found a photo in the Edelbrock book, that shows Don Towles speed boat with a 392 Hemi with a 8x2 Cross Ram manifold , looks to be like a X3, but they may have modified the top and cast it with 8x2 carb flanges? Hope this helps? Brett

10. Jr. Fueler

Jr. Fueler

Here's a pic of the 6x2 Edelbrock crossram I wish I hadn't sold. It was a bbc rectangular port intake and had 6 Holley 2100 three bolt carbs.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

11. Collin Benoit

Collin Benoit

Did we ever determine what the original posted intake fit?