Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's wrong with a channeled hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Your car looks fantastic! In my opinion 33/34 Fords make the best channeled cars, especially when they have a hood. Model A's and 32's take more work to get the look right, and most of those look better without a hood, at least without the hood sides.

2. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

Wow! On the name your 5 favorite hot rods I only named three leaving me room for two more. I think I'm down to one spot now! Your car looks great!

3. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

2013-07-26 20.27.31.jpg
    I like this one. Only .5 in the front, and about 1.5 in front of the rear tire. I think doing the opposite of that would give it a nice rake, instead of making the car set "level".

EVL401, Lil'Alb, dana barlow and 5 others like this.
  5. My ratty old 33 pickup was channeled long before I bought it...and crudely! They welded a length of 3" angle iron between the cab and the frame making it a uni-body....it never groaned, squeaked or rattled but I always kept a good eye on those welds. 33interior.jpg

6. sunbeam

sunbeam

With the exception of maybe the 32 the frames are not all that good looking. Personaly I like the bottom of the frame and the bottom of the body to line up.

7. Wrench666

Wrench666

Looks like some metal was removed above the windshield That’s a mod I want to do with the chop on my 27 Tudor.
    Andrew

8. Since when do people hate on channeled hot rods? Like every other modification, if it's done right it looks great and if it's done wrong it looks like shit. Different people will have different opinions about what looks good, no mystery there. IMO overly channeled slammed coupes with the rear wheels above the trunk line and the rockers laying in the dirt look silly, but I expect others will have other opinions about that. We can still get along.

Wrench666 and Hombre like this.
  9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I have a channeled car also and its my model car building days dream car. It is the most fun car that I have ever owned. To me it rides great, big bumps are not soft though, I'm only 5' 10" so I have plenty of space. Someone in Calif. originally built this chassis and floor pan, a really good job which is what a lot of guys are saying here, well done and it will be a good looking, riding and handling car. DSCN2648.JPG

10. My avatar is chopped 5", channeled 4", swept 6" at the firewall and kicked up 12" behind the cab, it's all in the proportion!
    cfsdrfrthjh.jpg

EVL401, Lil'Alb, dana barlow and 14 others like this.
  11. joey7508

joey7508
    from TX

If you have any more pictures of the car I'd like to see them!

12. crf500

crf500

Thank you so much!

13. crf500

crf500

You can search on here for The Burrows Coupe. Ryan did a write up on it. Thats where i hi jacked this picture from. hehe

kidcampbell71 and joey7508 like this.
  14. skipstitch

skipstitch

CoupeModel2.jpg
    I prefer the term "Body Drop"... LOL!

Lil'Alb, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  15. Hombre

Hombre

Graham, I just have to comment on this little truck. This is a great looking truck, and you are most certainly correct about the proportions, it is close to perfect. I also feel like I must preface my comments with this, I love channeled cars, and in the case trucks too I guess. These are the cars of my youth when I was a young guy only dreaming about Hot Rods in East Texas all those years ago. The local barber used to save me all of the old Hot Rod and Rod and Custom magazines, and the cars I always liked the most were the East Coast style cars, unchopped and channeled a ton. I use to dream about the cars. After I got old enough to be able to build and afford a car I always thought I would do one in that style.

Then the truth of the matter hit me. I am 6'3" and if I take Grahams truck as an example there is no way in hell that would work for me. Sadly that is true for most all Big Men. On top of that I do have a severely injured right leg and only have 10 degrees of deflection on my right knee, so even a coupe is a little dicey for me. If I build it I can make it work ( a coupe that is) but it is tough. So for me I mostly build 2 door sedans. That way I can get the seat far enough back that I can be comfortable on the long drives I love to take in my Hot Rod.

I don't think there is anything "WRONG" with a channeled car, just the opposite for me I think they are some of the greatest looking Hot Rods there are, and this thread certainly has an abundance of great looking channeled cars. Graham for my taste your little pick-up is right there with the best of them.

dana barlow likes this.
  16. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I guess some car bodies lend themselves to channelling more than others.
    32 Fords have such a high top of firewall they can cope with channelling, but a model T for instance, has quite a short height in the firewall and it can be tough to get it right.
    I like a channelled 32 full fender look myself but any project done with skill and good taste is always going to be appreciated...

dana barlow likes this.
  17. topher5150

topher5150

I to enjoy a channeled car, but done tastefully. It just looks weird when it looks like the body is sitting on the ground and the tires are sitting taller than most of the body.

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

glass_in.JPG I'm down with the channel.

EVL401, Lil'Alb, adam401 and 8 others like this.
  19. 41 C28

41 C28

Nothing I don't think. 007.JPG

EVL401, Lil'Alb, dana barlow and 6 others like this.
  20. i just like looking at your garage.............nothing like Pennsylvannia field stone....

kidcampbell71, IronTrap and kiwijeff like this.
  21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tree top lovers dilemma ....who gets it ? Merry Christmas ..

22. and he's bad, bad..........

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm only 5 ft 8 soaking wet....ha ha ha

24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

25. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I channeled a 36 Buick 3 window in the 90 s. I'd buy it back but someone turned it into a billet whatcha call it .....pretty simple to channel thirties cars ...leave the floor and drop the body..rework the steering...and of course the grille shell ...great thread

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a pic what it looks like now....looks like a hot wheels ..... image.jpg

27. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Sold my channeled 32 Ford roadster with Chevy 301, in mid or late 60’s. Funny but I don’t remember if it was a 3 or 4 speed. But I will never forget having to keep an extra fan belt, because when wound out , the generator fan would would bend the cooling blade, eating the fan belt, no generator or water pump then. No extra belt meant walking.

28. Right, just came across this thread. to tired to go through it. It,s 01.00 AM here and i,m ready to hit the sack. Nice pics though.

29. IMG_2123.JPG Here is my Model A during its construction. It was my daily for 5 plus years. One of those cars that was just fun to drive.

Lil'Alb, Jet96, Hombre and 1 other person like this.
  30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That is one gorgeous car! Normally I like a front end down rake in a hot rod, but I'll make an exception in this case, that is bad ass! Beautiful color/paint too, I like the steelies and dog dish caps with wide whites and pie crust tires. And I love the dual air cleaners poking thru the hood. Just a beautiful car, thanks for posting it.