Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who remembers the car club plaques from the 50s...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okeesignguy, Dec 20, 2017.

1. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

2. calvinb

calvinb
    from florida

3. I still have mine...from 1955

dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. partssaloon

partssaloon

5. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

6. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Gents01.jpg Gents02.jpg

A plaque I found 25 years ago from the town I've lived in for over 30 years and the original carving it was cast from that my son-in-law found a couple years ago. A priceless combination in my opinion.

drdave, typo41, Tim and 5 others like this.
  7. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

We have revived the CHARIOTS in Norwalk Ct. check out my post: here are two plates: one from 1959 and the other from 2017: sk

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  8. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

I was surfin around the web looking for a lone wolf plaque...ya, I know it's a clique but I really am kind of a loner when I stumbled onto a site that claims they bought all of the molds that were used back then and still have them...

According to them there were only two places that made them...HOWEVER when I searched Pan Draggers Lansing that one was not there :(

They have a database that is searchable by club, city or state so I decided to search my home town and low and behold there it was...Westbrook, Maine.....The Checkmates...
    I moved from there 30 years ago and have not yet found anybody that remembers the club but with Facebook etc I am going to try again now that I have this one in hand...
    I am a sentimental and nostalgic old fool so of course I thought this was way cool :)

Not sure exactly what I am going to do with it but I will find some cool way to use it :)

I just thought I would share ... :)

stillrunners and dana barlow like this.
  9. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

10. alchemy

alchemy

Just so you know, Dennis O'Brien is here on the HAMB.

lothiandon1940 and okeesignguy like this.
  11. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

The site is O'Brien Truckers: Dennis has done our plates, key chains: He also struck plates for the Coachmen Rod & Custom here in Norwalk from the original pattern: He is a wealth of knowledge: He might be helpful on the club: Thanks for the thread: sk

dana barlow and okeesignguy like this.
  12. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Oh! LOL Very cool! Well....if he sees this....I love my plaque!

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Our local club was around in the late 50's to sometime in the mid to late 60's

Mill Rockers.jpg

dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  14. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

Well...now I feel stupid! LOL Guess I shoulda known...

themoose likes this.
  15. okeesignguy

okeesignguy

In the words of the late Gilda Radner ..."Never mind!"
    LOL....I shoulda known this was not news to you guys LOL

16. Personally I'd like to see 40 more pages by those who missed the first go around in 2008 !;)

dana barlow likes this.
  17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Our club since 1957... ODD ENDS 2016 010.JPG

18. Dennis did these for us.:D..........He's the acknowledged authority on all things club plaque.:) 20151126_0923432_zpsuspeggab.jpg 11202014.jpg

19. It might have started in 08 but by page 40 the last post was November 30...2017.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

There was someone that posted a call for info on New England clubs: the site: New England Hot Rod and Kustom Historical Society: Some nice pics: Would like to see more on the early history: There are still a lot of founding members around from these early clubs that have a lot of hot rod knowledge: Nostalgia is very popular and we need the wisdom of the early hot rodders and pass it along: I know i have had the good fortune to have a few around here: They can tell you how to do it: sk

dana barlow likes this.
  21. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Mine, ROAMING BUFFALO'S.

23. I have been researching this one from my home town for a while,Dennis O'brien has shead some light on the plaque and told me who cast them,Chicago Metal Craft, and speculated they may have been made in the 50's.

I have talked to all the guys older than me and most tell me it has to be from the late 40's or early 50's but I still haven't found any information on who,what or when. HRP tarantulas.jpg

LOU WELLS, themoose and dana barlow like this.
  24. My Dads club from the mid to late 50's, South side Chicago. I believe that some of the members MAY still be around. 20171221_091607.jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    LOU WELLS and themoose like this.
  25. satan'schariot

satan'schariot

plaque.png
    here's our founded 1957

LOU WELLS and themoose like this.
  26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Veddy interesting! Dennis has the master for the famous IGNITERS club of San Jose, CA. (chartered in 1952?) If @Rod&Wheeler Dennis is on here, can he clarify?
    [​IMG] But I think this was a later version, as the original plaque had the spark plug being 'ignited' by a short lightning bolt. The match version may have been post-1962...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

wouldn't the casting carving need to be the reverse image??? either way its a coool group.

clem likes this.
  28. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

The originals that were cast from about 57 to 73 were done by Chicago Metal Castings in Port Chicago Ca.
    Obrien's has cast the last batch.
    IMG_0010.JPG

47ragtop and LOU WELLS like this.
  29. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

The carving is the positive that you are producing. The carving is used to create the sand form that would be the reverse or negative. When you pour the aluminum you get your positive again.