Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***December 2017 Banger Meet - Little Saint Nick Banger Powered?***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 30, 2017.

1. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

1931 ford coupe , 4" drop axle , wish bones , new kingpin bushings & king pins , new spindles , vega cross steer .
    toe in is near 1/16 . having a bump steer problem . any ideas appreciated ............

2. Steve,
    Is there a panhard bar on the front end?
    John

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

John
    What castor should he have?

4. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

no . not sure how to hook one up . got one on rear (coil overs) . I'm going out to recheck toe in ......... thanks john

5. typically the caster would be about 7°
    the problem with a cross steer setup is that the axle can move sideways in the spring shackles.
    A panhard bar is typically attached to the frame near the steering box and the other end attached to the radius rod or batwing on the steering input side. this limits the amount of bump influence in the axle position in regards to the steering box.
    sorry for bad pic, showing mounts for panhard bar on passenger bat wing
    j
    IMG_0206.JPG

6. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Wow ! Maybe I got lost here, but are we still talking of the dual OH cam with Riley carbs , or records with other equipment ?
    You stated....stuff still out there, just have to stay in the hunt and be dedicated. You are so right, in my experience.
    Example: Yesterday, I drove a good part of the day ...in the hunt. The OLD timer rode with Don Garlits, and as a friend, raced with him.
    Well, it (all the work) paid off even better than expected !! Keep the faith, I say. Problem seems (for me) not to be finding , but having the $ to pay the...like gold prices.

modified1927 and Dannerr like this.
  7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thanks john . ill try it after new years .................. steve

8. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Panhard bar.jpg panhard bar 2.jpg

Here is how I set up my panhard bar. The first shot the frame is upside down and the second shot you can see how I attached it to the split wishbone. I made it out of a rear panhard bar from a 68 chevy truck. The mouts I made from 3/16" Plate. Hope this helps. There are several threads on setting them up. I used the search function and found lots of information. Since I didnt use Heim joints I also made sure it moved in the same plane as the axle so it wouldnt bind when you hit a bump. the Rubber bushings in the end of the bar helps too.

Jet96 likes this.
  9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

thank you for the pix

10. trad27

trad27

Hi everyone. Been into bangers off and on for awhile and silently fallowing the banger threads. I recently took my roadster apart for paint and decided to do a once through mechanicaly. It ran great just giving it a good bill of health during the down time.
    What do you guys shim your cranks to? I went through the bottom end of the B and ended up with this. Does this sound right? I’ve heard you need .001 but my mains don’t have any shims currently, I was told to use a flat surface to sand the caps down like a belt sander to get proper clearance and shim higher if I go too far. The top is the oil clearance and bottom is the final torque to a crown for a cotter pin on each nut. Mains we’re torqued to 90 ftlbs and Rods 40 ftlbs when checked. Rod #4 I pulled some shims but got tight trying to rotate the moter so I put one back in and ended up with the .0035. Is this runable as is for a realiable moter or the .004 or so needs to be addressed? What is everyone’s thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

BANGER : would you still need a panhard bar if you removed one of the front shackles(made a 'dead-end' out of it)like we used to do in cross-spring dirt-track cars? I'd think the axle would no longer be 'free-floating' & in need of side to side 'control'?

12. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The front springs on Mrs' race car have a couple problems one bolt is touching the spring at full bump... the spring goes infinite stiff and weight is transferred to the opposite rear corner. I suspect there is so much going on , when driven in anger, that it is goes unnoticed but has to make it a little hard to correct. Since we plan to turn this left and right I have to sort this out.

Steve....

There are a lot of events that make it feel like a three legged chicken

Simple slip plates are easy to make but don't forget the grease between them. Floor tile works

Are you sure it's bump steer? On maybe something else going on? Look the front and rear over closely for any missing paint that would indicate a 'touch spot' limiting travel

Generally if I guess this a piece of tape on the suspect contact will tell you in a spirited test drive.
    I have made plates to attach to outside of each wheel to show what changes the tires go thru. Then have a couple large friends jump on the front to see if it's really steering. In the case of the CanAm cars we had a special set of narrow sharp wheels to see these problems easily.
    Please don't forget the REAR can steer too.
    Look for extra grease being squeezed out in any places too. Indicating worn parts too.

Some of the crap I have worked on requires a bunch of bouncing and looking to get full travel.

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jimski / drtrcrv8 , thanks . I will be checking it out after Christmas . I appreciate your in put !!

drtrcrv8 , we live about 35 miles apart !

14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

trad27 , most rods & cranks are set-up 001.5 - 002.0 ... rear main is best at .001 ... reason is less space to leak .

at .0035 it wont live long & should knock . way to loose .
    the idea of sanding the caps down will help , but do not egg shape them .

trad27 likes this.
  15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have read about the "Dead Perch" set up and from what I gathered it will work just fine. I can't remember the Cons of running one either.

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ya know , when it comes to info this forum is great ! thank you all

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR

Dannerr likes this.
  17. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Hey Guys ,

Quick question what compression readings should I be seeing with a Stock Model B four banger, I currently have 50-55 psi across all four which seems low ?

18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

As far as the "dead-end" axle/spring : I seem to remember that we used to take out the left shackle so the chassis turning left would "pull" on the axle instead of the shackle, & would also help keep the drag link/steering box/spindle alignment under control(or so we thought at the time, but looking back, it probably wouldn't make a lot of difference.)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Theyodes likes this.
  19. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

50-55 is about stock compression

20. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Thanks, I’m tying to pin down why I can’t get it running , it has fuel and a spark at what I think is the right time and yet still won’t even splutter .

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

the stock distributer is not ez to get it right . I would recheck timing & points . be sure the cap is wired correctly .
    * 1-2-4-3

RoadsterDom likes this.
  22. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Cap is wired correctly , have 15 thou on the points , I’m in the dimple with timing pointer as the points are just about to open on cylinder 1 compression stroke with all the backlash removed (by turning the rotor clockwise when setting the timing ) .

Have a decent spark when turning the motor over with a plug pulled . At a total loss as to why I can’t even get it to splutter !

junk yard kid likes this.
  23. Hope Santa answers your letters - that is if you've been good this year ! All the best the rest of the year y'all !

24. Juggler

Juggler

There are various check lists on line for stock setups. Here are a few

http://modelabasics.com/Roadside Troubleshooting.htm#failsToStart

https://www.model-a.org/troubleshooting_chart.html

http://www.grantmaclaren.com/terrystips/

If you have spark, fuel and compression/timing then think mechanical. Major air leak at manifold? Had one fail to run as the d/d manifold had been drilled underneath for a vacuum line that I'd forgotten to plug.

Checked the tappet clearances?

RoadsterDom and junk yard kid like this.
  25. Juggler

Juggler

While I'm here, does anybody know how much hp it takes to run the water pump?

Happy Xmas to all

Cheers

Juggs

26. One of the few numbers, my brain has latched on to during my 3,5 years of studying to become a bachelor in mechanical engineering, is the basis caster angle at 6° - less than that will most likely result in problems with the cars self alligning ability. Dunno why, but if asked at 4 AM, you'd get that response promptly! A (my) mind has a will of its own... :rolleyes:

Happy new years, everybody.
    I'll hopefully get some banger-work done during my Christmas holiday, plans are to put B/G28T and B-gears in the frame of the racecar-to-be, and start on the build of a body.

27. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Had a very similar situation and only after pulling the distributor cap and noting that the engine was turning but the distributor wasn't, found a shredded timing gear.

28. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

I also just had a similar thing. I never found the problem. Changed the whole dizzy and it now runs fine. Scary cause the next time it happens I may not be in my driveway! Rebuild the old dizzy, switched them, and it now runs fine. Which one do I leave in? The ghost of Henry Ford!!!!!!!!!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've had issues with weak spark in my stock '30 sedan. Won't start, but has spark. All I do is put in a new condenser and away it goes. The stock distributors are notorious for burning up condensers.

30. RoadsterDom

RoadsterDom

Impressive it managed to shred a timeing gear did you figure out how it managed to ? Thankfully mine is still turning although the rotor does have huge amount of backlash (45 degrees plus)

Scary , you’d think with how simple a design they are it would be simple to pin point exactly where the issue is .

I spent some more time today tinkering including trying a new coil and it now coughs consitentaly out of the carb when I turn the key back to off which I can’t fully get my head around . Apart from that no joy . Just how much margin of error is there in the timing ?

Will try a different condenser as I have a spare model A one . Not sure I can easily try a new dizzy as I can only find model A versions in the uk

Oh and Merry Christmas to all!!!