Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 31' Roadster Gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Robt93, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Robt93

Robt93

This is the start of my 31' Model A Roadster I inherited from my father.

[​IMG]

Someday hope to look something like Kevin Doolittles.

[​IMG]

EVL401, deadbeat, crf500 and 4 others like this.
  2. You're starting with a pretty nice car. Clean and simple. Your pop had good taste.
    That second car looks like a Seeburg jukebox.

3. For starters, Roadsters were Never Legal Gas Class Cars, regardless of what that poor black model A has painted on it (and it is Not an old race car, but a modern build)

Dean Lowe, X38 and traffic61 like this.

4. If you really want to make your dad's RPU like a race car, search Dean Lowe Roadster Pick Up and see what a proper Street Roadster class vehicle would be

tonkadawg, Dago 88, Dean Lowe and 4 others like this.
  5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Wow, there's just a lot going on with that "gasser". Lot's of stuff that doesn't work. Kinda like a platypus. Well, actually those little guys do work.

Please follow hotroddon's advice above.

Dago 88 likes this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You are being far too kind!

1927graham and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. Kind of an insult to the jukebox

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Robt93

Robt93

Never legal class....who the fuck cares???

05snopro440 likes this.
  9. Robt93

Robt93

Got a race car already. I’ll run that Dean Lowe car, looked slow as shit

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How many national records have you held?

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Call it what you want. It's your car. Put AA/FD on the side if it makes you feel as fast as you think you are.

05snopro440 likes this.
  12. People who care about truth in history.

People who care about the fact that it's wrong to call something a gasser when it is not. Sadly this is a common disease these days, but if people don't stand up for the truth, lies, misinformation and just plain wrong history will result.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Your pop would be proud...:eek::eek:

14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Most "Gassers" never see a track. If he likes the look, that is what he should build.

IMO.

05snopro440 likes this.
  15. Those of us that were there, ran those classes, and respect them. That's "who the fuck"!

16. Well, it wasn't. 5 Winternationals wins, a HRM Championship win and street eliminator win, and National B/SR class record 4 years running with NHRA, Class record 2 years with AHRA, and Standard 1320 class record 4 years running, and class records at all 5 strips it ran at, are in that Model A's resume. Oh, and 4 March Meet wins for good measure. And the fucking thing was 100% street legal, and had Ca current tags. You are pretty mouthy for a guy that just joined this board today. Do your homework before you make an ass of your self!

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Class dismissed!

18. WHAT DEAN SAID!!!!!!!! X2

kiwijeff and Max Gearhead like this.
  19. Apears to me,he has already made an ass of himself...

20. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say that the 93 in his screen name is his birth year...

Hollister Kopp and kadillackid like this.
  21. First day here and already being a disrespectful jack ass. Good way to join in.

Sent from my XT1650 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. wvenfield

wvenfield

The OP stated what he wanted to build. He didn't claim it was a race car, just what he liked. He didn't claim any historical significance in his build, it was just what he liked. Others piled on and yes, he got a bit defensive.

His car, his build, not really any of our business. If we don't like it, there are plenty of others.

"Gasser" is misused all over the place. Magazines are full of Gassers that never leave the trailer. Oh well, his car, his time, his money and his choice.

05snopro440 and slv63 like this.
  23. Exactly.

24. Sorry, but to those of us that were there, that lived it and have raced a Gasser, the use of the name implies a Race Car - that's what the definition of Gasser is - a Gas Class Race car. Now I have no issue with a properly done Gasser style car that doesn't actually get raced, as long as it remains true to the ideal. You see unlike many forms of Hot Rodding, there are actually Rules when it comes to race cars. And those rules were written in stone over a period of time that these cars were raced - they started out as street driven weekend warriors that conformed to the rules and the rules morphed into full blown race cars that were no longer required to be street legal - but the general premise of the class build type stayed on a path. So like many others on here, Yeah I preach the Gospel when it comes to these cars, and I am happy to call out those that fall short and try to help them see the errors of their ways.

The fact that terms get misused does NOT make it OK, it just dilutes and devalues what the term was describing in the first place. There is a horrible trend to jack up the front end of any old Pile, throw a Moon tank on it and set of the contradictory "Bolt On Spinlde Mounts" and call it a Gasser - And it just makes me sick, and sad that these people don't have a clue. My original post was to point out that there is/was no such thing as a Roadster Pick UP as a Gasser and that maybe he should see how these trucks were really raced, if that is what he is trying to emulate. And we are fortunate enough here on the HAMB to have a living legend in the world of Street Driven, Record Holding, Drag Raced, Roadster Pickups, in the form on Dean Lowe. So instead of talking shit about that truck, maybe he should have found a little humility and respect instead of acting like a little child.
    And yes, I agree, he can do what ever he wants to the RPU - it is his and his choice. But this is a place to learn the way of the Traditional Hot Rod, and that includes the race cars of the defined era.
    And since the HAMB is all about Tradition, and doing things to that standard, you would think the people who are here, and want to be here, would understand that and respect those what Ryan has created here.

25. Sheez' .... Dean Lowe's track truck was famous, for being THE quickest, fastest rpu in the world, for many, many years. Press credits like Hot Rod, and Car Craft magazines, Dragster Magazine, and the NHRA museum don't mean much these days ??? Whoah .... the agony.

dwollam, hotroddon, Dean Lowe and 2 others like this.
  26. If I had the one in the 2nd pic, I'd try and make it look like the 1st pic.

27. Just a little more on what Hotroddon was explaining...The "Gasser" terminology is short for Gas coupe/sedan..NO ROADSTERS were ever in this class..The coupe/sedan from the beginning has been omitted like new guys call a distributor a "dizzy"..A roadster was either a "street roadster"or an "alterd roadster"...so you new young guys need to listen to us old geezers...WE WERE THERE

28. badvolvo

badvolvo

dad29roadsterpu2.jpg This is my Pop's 29 Roadster Pickup. Someday, hopefully many years from now, it will be mine. She will look just as Dad built her, although I am not afraid of adding a few vintage speed parts under the hood. "Respect the classics man". View attachment 3752019 I will hotrod the shit outta stuff I build, but I will leave this one alone.

cactus1, dwollam, X38 and 4 others like this.
  29. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Thanks to the faithful for keeping the gospel alive.

I discovered gassers after they had wound down unfortunately. Being a '61 model, I was a little late to the game. I pored over old magazines from the 60's and have been an enthusiast since my early teens. I love the cars and the history and have learned more about them in the years I have been on the HAMB, than before.

As much as I love gas class cars and some gasser themed cars, I am quite ready for the current "gasser" trend to dissipate a bit. It's kinda like a remake of your favorite old movie, that they totally screwed up, because their vision didn't respect or understand the original.

X38, hotroddon and Special Ed like this.