Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical It's 2017,does anyone still use a 6 volt system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 28, 2017.

1. tinsled

tinsled

My '48 Dodge will stay 6V because I found and installed B&W R10 OD with a 6V solenoid.
    I love the OD and L-head six sound(* so well, I cannot imagine any reason why to go 12V ever.
    *) no need for other sound system...

2. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

My Ford in 6V
    [​IMG]

Sum54ford likes this.
  3. My '39 Plymouth coupe is 6V positive ground and it works great. As other people have mentioned they are sensitive to good clean ground connections, and properly sized gauge wire (for example: heavy duty battery cables). Since the 6V system will draw more current than a comparable 12V. The starter barely cranks over and the car is up and running. At this time I see no point in changing.

-Chris

4. I think that if you are staying close to stock with an old car as in original style engine stock and the charging system is good there is no reason to change it out. One the other hand if I was changing up an old car like say dropping a 327 into a '54 corvette, or a 394 in a '40 Ford it would be silly to keep it 6V unless you just didn't have the 12v stuff and you were stuck with the 6V system.

There is nothing wrong or right about running 6V.

There are specific builds that would probably require 6V for accuracy's sake, like say for instance a 30s A V8 build or even an early '50s build. Your options back then were basically 6V or 24 if you were going to use a military installation. I don't recall ever seeing a 24V hot rod but it was an option. LOL

AndersF likes this.
  5. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

6V works fine, but in an emergency, you can't buy a battery at any regular parts store. You also can't jump start anyone with a newer car.

I would never do a 6V alternator because it destroys any idea of "originality" in a very visible way. Just fix your generator.

6. tinsled

tinsled

Well, you CAN jump start 6V car by a 12V car, you just should have lights switched off and only connect the cables when cranking, disconnect right after the engine fires up (not to cook the battery).

Call me lucky, but in my 38 years of motoring I've never needed to replace the battery on the road, I mean while traveling, on a trip. Have had several flat tires on speed, brakes failed, Citroen hydraulic pump blew up leaving me without brakes, suspension collapsed and power steering froze, but never lost battery while away from home...
    Once my kid left courtesy light on for two weeks in airport car park and we found the battery dead in zero Farenheit as we returned from the holiday - yet car started by jump cables and battery recovered full as we made our way back home 200 miles... Ran that battery 5 more years without an issue until I traded the car.

...thus I do not consider the difficulty of buying spare battery a big deal... no reason to convert the system to 12V.

7. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Sure you can get a jump, but you can't give a jump.

8. tinsled

tinsled

Well, I can give a jump to another 6V car. The odds that I run across a modern car in need of a jump in a place where would not be at least 10 other modern cars around is less than me winning the grand prize in lottery...
    I can lend the cables if I'm around!

9. No harm, no foul my friend. The main thing is to drive 'em, not hide 'em! Peace out!

jakespeed63 likes this.
  10. My '54 Ford wagon is 6 volt as is my ot Porsche 356.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  11. Ric -- What's your 356? That's what my above mentioned "ot foreign" car is. '56 356A Super. Sold my B Roadster last year..

"I'm not certain that I understand everything I know about that"

12. fourspeedwagon, mine is a 65 C cabriolet. Old Porsches and hot rods are the perfect combination !
    I've got a 1953 356 motor for sale by the way, old two piece case. very complete. Just sayin...........

13. 13clicks

13clicks

I am still 6volt in my 36 coupe... I don't want to go 12volt because I like the headlights that slightly dim golden look. my car runs and operates just fine with 6v. I also like it being as original as possible.

V8-m likes this.
  14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the best thing about 12 volts is when you go to the store to get a battery the kid behind the counter doesn't look at you like you are an idiot and ask what kind of car has six volts? then look at you like you are crazy when you tell him just about every car built before 1955 or so was 6 volts.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  15. jokiedokie, next year i will convert. maybe up to seven volts for the first....i`m nervous.

Skankin' Rat Fink likes this.
  16. Chevbucket

Chevbucket

The Chevbucket has a 6 volt system, works good, slower cranking speed when the engine is hot though. It will get better as the motor gets broken in.:) chev grill-3.JPG chev grill-4.JPG

Sum54ford likes this.
  17. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '51 is still 6 V; starts and runs great with fresh wiring, cables and an Optima. Some day I may convert to 12 V because of many more lighting and accessory options.
    Dual masters for safer braking, discs for better braking. Pretty simple really. :)

18. mamllc

mamllc

I have a 41 9n that's all original, 6v, points, generator, etc... I cut the field behind my house a couple times a year with it. Sits all winter and starts right up in the spring, or has so far anyway. If it aint broke, don't fix it.

19. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with some others here. Optima batteries with their 800 CCA makes 6 volts practical these days, especially when you can hide them in an old Ford case. Before I started using them, I had a real problem finding quality 6 volt batteries, and had intermittent problems starting my '51 when it was hot on 90+ degree days. It got to the point where I instinctively left the hood open when I parked it on those occasions. A new Optima solved all of that. I was a little put off by the initial price, but after the first one lasted 13 years, it's no longer a problem. Again properly maintaining your system is a little more effort than with a 12 volt system, but then we're automotively a cut above most folks out there, aren't we?

TerrytheK likes this.
  20. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks - yes, I always disconnect the "booster" first too. Whether it's 6 volt or 12, sparks around a charging battery can be nasty. :eek:
    I do carry a 12 volt booster pack in whatever I'm driving -
    booster pac1.jpg
    I have no worries about boosting from a 12 volt system as far as the starter goes. Lots of folks keep the original 6 volt starters when they convert to 12 volts and run them for years. I guess as long as the booster is disconnected soon enough there should be no problem?
    The battery is fresh so if I don't leave the lights on I shouldn't have to worry! And like I said, if I keep this car I might switch to 12 volt at some point but for now everything works just fine so I see no immediate need to change anything.
    Interesting topic, though.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  21. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, we like to think we are anyway!! (LOL)
    Good info, thanks!

22. Paul Sonneson

Paul Sonneson

That's breathtakingly beautiful! Wow!

23. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

6 volts is ok but what about positive ground?

24. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I don't have anything negative to say about it.

wvenfield likes this.
  25. 36 poncho

36 poncho
    from ny

054.JPG
    yep...
    no reason to change

26. I do in my '51 Hudson. I figure it still works great so why change.

Sent from my A521L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. The last car I owned that was 6 volt was of German birth & made in 1966,the lights were so dim on high beam I could see a shadow of my car when a American car was behind me with their dim lights.

I quit driving the car at night,I used the proper bulbs ,all the grounds were good and the battery was fully charged,te man that owns it now left everything stock for several years,but it now has a 12 volt system and the lights will blind on coming traffic. HRP

28. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

B5E2888E-C426-4D65-B8C6-6F79DC7CEF89.jpeg
    My Dads 52 Ford is still 6 volt with Flathead and ford-o-matic. All the lights and gauges work and he drives the heck out of it with no problems!!

Truck64 likes this.
  29. slim39

slim39
    from pa

Guys used to use 8volt batteys on a6volt system

30. Nobey

Nobey

Three cheers for Optima 6V batteries. Run them in my 32 roadster, 34 pickup, 34 sedan, and both
    39 sedans. Run 12 volts in the 34 one ton, and the 41 pickup. The 12 volt cars I still run generators
    on, just change the poll shoes, and regulator to 12 volt.