Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 barrel carb for flathead ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nixer, Feb 19, 2006.

1. I have a good 4 jet core from a 53 Olds and a matching GM air cleaner that is in remarkably good shape if anyone is interested.

2. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

That is an Aeroquad by Stromberg. Hope to be putting on my AV8 this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. joe.didio

joe.didio

Maybe a T pot/early Holley. DSC01706.JPG

JeffB2 and Boden like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Carter WCFB, Stomberg Aeroquad, Rochester 4GC, and Holley all had small base 4barrels. Not only the bolt on flathead aftermarket manifolds but aftermarket Inlines too.

5. carbking

carbking

The old "square" pattern, not to be confused with "square-bore", were used on lots of vehicles in the early 1950's.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Four_barrel_mounting_flanges.htm

I am continually amazed that some would place a carburetor designed for a 322 CID Buick on a 239 CID Ford!

Kind of like putting a 1050 Dominator on a basically stock 327 Chevy. It might be "parking lot fast", but that would be about all.

I have yet to see any factory published CFM data on most of these early four-barrels, but if the enthusiast will try to find a donor carb from an engine close to the CID of the desired engine, the enthusiast will be MUCH more satisfied with the results. All that is needed is a little research. Carbs with the old "square" pattern were used as factory installations on engines of 195 CID to 549 CID.

Jon.

Budget36 and town sedan like this.
  6. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Got a few Carters hanging around if you wanted to go that route

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Holley 4 barrel with 1 inch spacer and mechanical advance distributor works for me.
    Engine is 239 cu in.
    OFFY intake has that 7/8 offset which must be dealt with. Use an intake with centered gen. mount to save yourself from problems. IMG_9115big.jpg

8. twostickmutt

twostickmutt

What size jets are you guys running with the holley 390 ? I tried 47's didn't run right . now up to 51's . helped quite a bit but still not quite to my liking. thanks for any suggestions.

9. town sedan

town sedan

The above post points out one important thing. The Load-O-Matic ignition system doesn't like non LOM carburetors.

I've thought about building a 270 to 280 some odd inch flat motor (8BA style) and I'd venture a guess, that a Rochester from a 283 SBC and a Bubba distributor would work well. Or, I may be wrong, but that's the fun in trying.
    -Dave

JeffB2 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. chris bowen

chris bowen

Did your stromberg work...?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. chris bowen

chris bowen

Your stromberg looks new!

12. 98828ef969ea55ad908c2fe9c957d4dd.jpg

I'm actually pretty okay with this...

chargin03, raven, Budget36 and 3 others like this.
  13. Boden

Boden

Love the t-pots

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

carbking and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! Is confession "essential business" or "non-essential"?

15. town sedan

town sedan

Personally I'd stay away from the flaming tower of power.
    -Dave

Boden and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. chris bowen

chris bowen

Just be different than the rest

Boden and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

When I was a kid a popular, low cost hop up was a late Mercury flathead intake, 2 barrel with 4 bolt flange, with a Rochester 2GC off a Chev 283. The carb was a bit bigger than the Ford but not too big for street use. I expect the same manifold would work with a throttle body injection.

18. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

With the exception of the Holley Tea Pot other Carbs do not play well with the stock Load-O-Matic distributor http://m571.com/yblock/loadomatic.htm Would some of you that used later 4 barrel carbs pass along your solutions.

19. Garpo

Garpo

In the '60s, the Stromberg designs ere picked up by the Japanese. I have a had a wee 4 barrel ex a Mazda rotomotor on my flatty for over 40 years. I have another carb ex Nissan/Prince. Both manufactured by Nikki.
    The Prince carb looks pretty much identical to the US Stromberg, and drops straight on to an Offy or similar manifold.
    The rotary version has been re arranged a bit to suit the Mazda engine lay out.
    I had a battle to set the Mazda carb up to my liking - was far too rich, and jets are almost non existent.. Once I got that right, it has proved to work well. I would guess it is about 300cfm, primaries are small.
    Can stomp on it from idle, and let the auto do it's bit with no stumbles or hesitations to way past the speed limit. P1010539.JPG P1010545.JPG

leon bee likes this.
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Garpo, Do you live in a cooler climate?
    Just asking as I'm wondering if that small fan
    will adequately cool your engine,when sitting in traffic and when "on the road".

I had one like that on my stock 8BA in FL and it would not cool sufficiently.
    You can see it in the 1973 photo.

Attached Files:

21. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Does anyone have pictures of their linkage set ups on a Holley 390? My gas pedal comes out on the passenger side but the holleys hook up is on the driverside

22. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No pictures, but about 25 years ago I had a 390 Holley on a 276" merc in my '36 3-window. I ran a Lokar throttle cable that looped around the front of the carb and pulled the the throttle lever. It worked OK, but looked kinda weird. Lately, I have been running 2G's on Merc manifolds, which also have the throttle lever on the wrong side and pull the wrong way. I have solved this problem by mounting the carburetor back wards, and the throttle linkage just falls into place. I don't remember enough about the 390 Holley installation, but it seems to me that you should try mounting the carburetor backwards and see how things line up.

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Msd. I'm sure mine has more modern chit than most on here would want, but I love it...
    20200623_184232.jpg

24. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Looks good but I'm trying to avoid going to a cable. Is there any reason you can't run a carburetor backwards?
    Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Works fine with a 2G; why not try it with the Holley? I admit, I thought there was some reason that it wouldn't work, but when you think about it, the carb sits level and I think the bolt pattern will work, so take a look.

We all may learn something.:cool:

26. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

We shall know this week. Intake is supposed to come tomorrow

leon bee and 210superair like this.
  27. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Turn the 390 around so the linkage hook up is on the pass side. That's what I did on my 40 Ford. Make a little turnbuckle to adjust the "throw" of the accelerator linkage. I also made a little aluminum hookup"block" on the 390 carb linkage. No return spring is needed.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    waxhead likes this.
  28. Scrapbmxrider16

Scrapbmxrider16

Man thank you so much. Can now wait to hook this up

210superair likes this.
  29. Garpo

Garpo

Only time I had a problem was a traffic jam on a looong uphill piece of highway. Walking pace for over an hour
    I am still thinking about possibly installing an electric fan. Need to think some more, decisions like this can't be rushed.