Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I wish I wasn't broke

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Dec 18, 2017.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I'd be on the phone now buying this baby if I had the money in hand.

1938 Buick Special

Running and driving original drivetrain ..needs brakes clear title

I think the $2500 asking price sounds like a bargain to me, why can't I win the lottery? :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I have the money but it has Too many doors. It cost the same to fix a more door as a two door. but when you try and sell them the 4 door will not command as good a price. Sometimes I buy something that I only want to own for a little while. I will pay a bit more than I usually would and resell for the same price or even lose a few dollars.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

Seems like a very fair price, this is the kind of car that would be sold with 2 people in line on the very first day being offered if it was early spring/tax return time. I bet the reason it's still for sale has a lot more to do with the time of year than the price.

czuch likes this.
  4. At that price if I wanted the car I would borrow the money. HRP

5. 2935ford

2935ford

With all that sheet metal......you could make two of todays cars! :)
    Sure getting a lot of car for the money but I bet a lot more is going to have to go into it..

6. You don't have any money because you want junk like that:p:D

7. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

Offer a grand......probably closer to what its worth.......show up with cash......who knows

8. Last year I sold a running 53 buick 4 door with a straight 8. in about the same cond. $650.00 The Guy who bought it used it for a parts car for his 2 dr htp.

1934coupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The part of the year is probably closest to the reason.
    I'd be all over it no matter the doors.
    Kanter brake and front end kit, a nice winter, done.
    A rattle can and some 400 grit, 5that would clean up nice and easy.

10. leon bee

leon bee

38 is about the ultimate Buick for me. I'm sitting here right now wondering where it is.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

More door =less money, both buying and selling.

Texas57, TagMan and olscrounger like this.
  12. Not necessarily,It depends on the car. HRP

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

It does look solid, but the fender repair and running board replacement would be the opening of a money pit IMO. Bob

14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a great basis for a custom coachwork style re-body, it has beautiful fender lines and dash/steering wheel, I could see this as a roadster with a reshaped front door opening and a long Zephyr-like trunk area. A DuVall style split windshield, shaved running boards, a twin-carb setup from a '41, I could see that for sure. I've always heard this is one of the best early transmissions too.

You gotta have the vision though. I would love to know where some of you guys are buying running 1930's cars for $1000. You can hardly buy a beat-to-shit running 20 year old pickup truck for that around here.

15. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

It's somewhere in the Creston, Iowa area. A ways from you but not too far from me.

16. Found it on google earth streetview. Looks good. The '32 Ford coupe behind the second shed on the left is what i would be after.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

somebody has to buy stuff to save it - but, only if this is on your bucket list to own would look around more - by the way, you are not the only one that needs more available cash to buy more of what is on our bucket list too

18. The car and price tag belong on the front row too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19. Roys40

Roys40

Just came across this 48 Plymouth for 2k it's complete fairly rust free and runs I'm trying to tell myself I have other projects that need finished but I'm really having a hard time talking myself down lol[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. Roys40

Roys40

I'm pretty sure I could talk the 22 y/o kid into letting it go for 1500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Hnstray, chryslerfan55 and 31Dodger like this.
  22. deucemac

deucemac

All I need to know '37-'38 bucks was taught to me back in the early '70's. I was Yong and in the Air Force stationed in Illinois. A guy that lived in Funk ' s Grove had many of them amid a sea of old cars in a field . Though the Buick were quite the thing . That was until I started visiting swap meets around the Midwest . At every meet I would see at least one and sometimes more, somebody wearing a large sandwich asking for '37 and '38 Buick parts! And, they were never the same guys at the different meets! I decided then and there, must be a car that parts are hard to find for .

23. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I got hooked into having a '37 Special follow me home about 6 years ago. Until then I played with '48-52 Ford trucks. It was an eye opener the first time I started looking for parts, Buick parts are easily 4-5 times higher in price and harder to find. My car turned out to be a total rot bucket so I basically started out with a $500 parts car. Only parts I was to save was the banged up front end and factory radio. I was offered $500 just for the front fenders because they are rare sidemount fenders, Specials didn't usually come with sidemount spares. I bought another frame and body and have been collecting parts all of this time. For some reason the car just grabbed me.

Even though the second body was a lot better than the first I still ended up replacing at least 30% of the sheet metal. There's a drain tube in the bottom of the rear quarter glass that falls off so all the water soaks into the side panels and rear seat and rots everything out. These cars are real rot buckets. The '37 Special and Centurys were the first all metal body GMs, the larger Roadmasters and Limited were still wood framed, I had a '37 Limited parts car and it was infested with termites.
    picture004.jpg

picture244.jpg
    picture255.jpg

leadfootloon and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

BTW, brakes aren't that hard to fix. You'd have to make sure the drums are still usable and have the shoes relined but the cylinders are the same as a mid '50 GMC truck and you can still get them from NAPA or Rock Auto.

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Maybe Crashfarmer should share the link/sellers info since he doesn't have the cash right now to buy it.

27. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Clarinda Iowa, birthplace of Glen Miller. I`ll be there Thursday for a school event.

crashfarmer likes this.