Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CHEVY 292 INLINE 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JT Apperson, May 4, 2016.

1. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

292's were only offered in trucks, buses, vans, dump trucks. A 2-wheel drive Suburban had them too. No passenger cars. These motors were torque monsters! Someone could easily modify your existing pan to clear steering or whatever. No big deal. I personally would look at a front steer/rear steer set up from Unisteer.

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I was going to say move the pickup back and down and make the sump shorter and deeper, but Butch may have the best idea, find a different factory setup, if you can. Good Luck

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You can use the 250\230 rear sump pan and pickup on a 292.I did it for ground clearance on my glass T when I had the 292 in it.

32ford5, lothiandon1940 and squirrel like this.
  4. Ya have to love the torque of the 292.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. madero1955

madero1955

Great information. I am building a 292 to put in my 55 wagon. I plan on building my own cross members and making engine plates because i want to do road race events with a full cage. but to put one in a stock tri-five requires building side mounts pushing back the fire wall 3-4 inches and running radiator in 6 cylinder location. bell housing is stock sbc/bbc style. The issue I am going to run into is tuning since i am going to efi it with twin turbo.

6. Jebo

Jebo

Is this a 235 or a newer six? I'd like to get some more info on your mounts. They look great

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

This is the front mount on a 292 in a '37 Chevy.

I used a motor plate on the back with similar cushions.

I may still have the pattern for the front plate.

8. Larry G.

Larry G.

I have a question for you guys 292 Chevy six I just put a new Melling M-62 oil pump on a race motor for a customer and the distributor only engages the pump drive by about an 1/8". Have any of you ran into this I talked to Melling technical today they weren't any help. We checked the old distributor against the new one for length they're the same. The only thing I can see to do is press the drive gear shaft out a little.